UAS is in our DNA!! And skills has nothing to do with UAS!!

Hahahahaha! Awesome article, Kerneltime !! I think the author is right--- "testing and comparing" is a big part of what drives our UAS !! It occurred to me yesterday, after watching fellow-member Vic's video about UAS, that for many (if not most) of us, the real fun of all of this lies in the "process" or the "journey" that it involves. So, maybe deep down we just want to keep that process going indefinitely, rather than actually settling on one instrument and declaring that the search is over!

Last edited:
I fully embrace having UAS, as my signature would attest. I'm actually going to post a New Uke Day shortly. (But the reality is that I only have room on my humidified shelf cabinet for eight, so if I get a new one, another has to go.)

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

As my handle and address attest, I've soaked up a few ukuleles. I've attempted a "wring out", discretion, and a cold rinse. I could not stand for a wiping the slate clean.
Happy member of the 40+ club

Some will play anything that makes a noise, others look for that certain something that you can't really explain, & it takes time, (& a lot of purchases if you have to rely on the internet).

My quest is over, (famous last words), I found what I had been looking for, but I certainly had a lot of fun along the way. ;)

Yes, some people have a propensity to collect things, & why not, if they can afford it. :)

As my handle and address attest, I've soaked up a few ukuleles. I've attempted a "wring out", discretion, and a cold rinse. I could not stand for a wiping the slate clean.
Happy member of the 40+ club

40+ club...wow! I move em in and out, comparing different ukes is alot of fun. Eventually would like to settle with 2 sops, 1 concert and both low amd high G tenors.

I have bought six ukes and sold four since I began playing the 'ukulele three years ago.

I prefer playing to shopping, but it took me some trial & error to find what I really like. These days, I have two: a K brand super concert for high G and a K brand tenor for low G.

I'd like to hear more about the guy who has guitars hidden behind a false wall in his closet. How does he sneak in there to get one out to play? How did he get the wall built w/ no one knowing? (Unless he lives alone, but in that case, why does he need to hide the guitars?)

Makes me feel better about my UAS, anyway. Blame DNA, not me. :)

I look for different sounds, though. I have 4 main players, Concert Kanile'a, a favorite, Concert, 8-string, Concert with Low G and an old Martin style 0. They all have different sounds and work better for different songs. But, on the other hand, I drink more than half a glass of wine...

Oh, dear - I think the GAS article may describe me perfectly! I will never be a good ukulele player, though I will go on learning chords and some simple stuff.... But I find myself loving the search for both knowledge about ukes (historical and current), and to find one more reasonably-priced instrument that is different from my others. I want a new brand, another kind of wood, a second soprano, and so on. Each one brings another element into the evaluation, and I am afraid I'll continue this way until I run out of untried sizes, makers, decades produced or money. At least I'm restricted to a fairly sane level of acquisition by my fixed retirement income - who knew that would be a good thing? I have inherited a genetic predisposition to collect things, and believe most ukuleles count as objets d'arte in their own right; even unplayed.

Before playing the ukulele I played guitar. Years ago I would sing and the guitar was just an accompaniment instrument. It was not that important to have the perfect tone and so no real GAS. Years later I started to pick up a few of the must have USA electric guitars (I have an older Les Paul I absolutely hate to play, even though it is a great player). Those acquisitions were just GAS collecting and not for any real playing.

When I started playing ukulele, I only had one for a few years. I can sing to a guitar but not a uke no matter what I do. After learning to play fingerstyle instrumentals, my quest for tone kicked in. I have more than a few ukuleles, but it is more about having something which sounds/plays different than what I already have.

So while I agree that skill may not be a driver, there is a difference between a collector vs. a player. Neither is wrong, as both can drive purchases as I have been both.

John

Finally! Justification! As the article implied, you don't have to be a great player to justify accumulating a lot of instruments. I don't expect to be a great player, but I have thirty-seven ukes and over three dozen instructional books - and almost as many DVDs. My goal is to enjoy ukuleles, and I do.

Yup! I play my ukulele with my limited skills cause I enjoy it! I did not get this joy when I tried a piano, recorder or guitar. I will get better cause I want to play more/different songs but playing the same set of songs and my limited improvisation is still a lot of joy and spiritually uplifting. Trying them on different instruments feels like scratching a very old and deep itch.

While I am sure females are not immune, there seems to be something about guys and acquiring stuff. You hear of people doing the same with saxophones, guitars, bikes, cars, etc, etc. I remember back in the day I noticed that often women would buy an album of a particular artist or perhaps a classical symphony and be happy to listen to it. Many guys seemed to not be satisfied until they had the complete collection of that artist, full set of symphonies or the full boxed sets. Maybe it is some kind of weird competitive game mentality that he who has the most stuff wins.

I often think that it is better to aim to buy with purpose, to have instruments that you will use regularly and not just collect things to have. After all, it is just stuff.

You hit the nail right on the head Jerry!!! I am no great player either, but it gives me joy and happyness.
I have accumulated a few, each one a little something different than the other.
The whole thing soothes my soul.
Cheers,
Steve.

hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS.. and another who has a whole bunch of varying instruments.. so no I do not agree.
If we are catering to stereotypes, there are other women oriented stereotypes around shoes, jewelry etc that falls in the same bucket as UAS

Last edited:
hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS.. and another who has a whole bunch of varying instruments.. so no I do not agree.
If we are catering to stereotypes, there are other women oriented stereotypes around shoes, jewelry etc that falls in the same bucket as UAS

To me, shoes, jewelry or clothes are a bit different. I am not saying that it only afflicts guys, but that in my experience I have known more guys who have this issue.

Top Bottom