Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UAS is in our DNA!! And skills has nothing to do with UAS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Definitely some good advice, but not all doable for many of us. "Play as many guitars as possible before you make your purchase" is good advice, but many of us don't have access to a decent selection of ukuleles, (or even any), & have to purchase them to try them. That's one of the things that fuels UAS.

Before playing the ukulele I played guitar. Years ago I would sing and the guitar was just an accompaniment instrument. It was not that important to have the perfect tone and so no real GAS. Years later I started to pick up a few of the must have USA electric guitars (I have an older Les Paul I absolutely hate to play, even though it is a great player). Those acquisitions were just GAS collecting and not for any real playing.

When I started playing ukulele, I only had one for a few years. I can sing to a guitar but not a uke no matter what I do. After learning to play fingerstyle instrumentals, my quest for tone kicked in. I have more than a few ukuleles, but it is more about having something which sounds/plays different than what I already have.

So while I agree that skill may not be a driver, there is a difference between a collector vs. a player. Neither is wrong, as both can drive purchases as I have been both.

John

Finally! Justification! As the article implied, you don't have to be a great player to justify accumulating a lot of instruments. I don't expect to be a great player, but I have thirty-seven ukes and over three dozen instructional books - and almost as many DVDs. My goal is to enjoy ukuleles, and I do.

Yup! I play my ukulele with my limited skills cause I enjoy it! I did not get this joy when I tried a piano, recorder or guitar. I will get better cause I want to play more/different songs but playing the same set of songs and my limited improvisation is still a lot of joy and spiritually uplifting. Trying them on different instruments feels like scratching a very old and deep itch.

While I am sure females are not immune, there seems to be something about guys and acquiring stuff. You hear of people doing the same with saxophones, guitars, bikes, cars, etc, etc. I remember back in the day I noticed that often women would buy an album of a particular artist or perhaps a classical symphony and be happy to listen to it. Many guys seemed to not be satisfied until they had the complete collection of that artist, full set of symphonies or the full boxed sets. Maybe it is some kind of weird competitive game mentality that he who has the most stuff wins.

I often think that it is better to aim to buy with purpose, to have instruments that you will use regularly and not just collect things to have. After all, it is just stuff.

You hit the nail right on the head Jerry!!! I am no great player either, but it gives me joy and happyness.
    I have accumulated a few, each one a little something different than the other.
    The whole thing soothes my soul.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS.. and another who has a whole bunch of varying instruments.. so no I do not agree.
    If we are catering to stereotypes, there are other women oriented stereotypes around shoes, jewelry etc that falls in the same bucket as UAS
    Last edited by kerneltime; 05-06-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS
    You talking about me? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS.. and another who has a whole bunch of varying instruments.. so no I do not agree.
    If we are catering to stereotypes, there are other women oriented stereotypes around shoes, jewelry etc that falls in the same bucket as UAS
    To me, shoes, jewelry or clothes are a bit different. I am not saying that it only afflicts guys, but that in my experience I have known more guys who have this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    You talking about me? :-)
    Now I know 2 :-)

Thread Information