Why not strum w/thumb?

Junie Moon

Reaction score
I'm a novice player. Mostly I strum simple arrangements of songs that I like, and sing along when no one is around.

I've been strumming w/my thumb. It feels natural and it produces a pleasing sound. I've noticed in videos that just about NO ONE strums w/the thumb, and some instructional materials warn against it.

I'm working on learning how to strum in the recommended ways.

BUT, thumb strumming produces a dramatically richer sound for me than the recommended ways. Strumming w/the tops and/or side of my finger(s) does not sound nearly as nice to my ears. Clickety-click, thin sound, lack of control, etc.

It's quite possible that I need a LOT more practice with recommended strumming methods to produce a rich, mellow sound. I sense that thumb strumming is a bad habit to develop. If that really is so, I should switch before it's too late.

Before I tell myself, "I'm playing for myself alone, so I can feel free to strum however I like," I'd love to hear why thumb strumming is unpopular.

Many thanks.
June

I use my thumb, picking melodies, & when I occasionally strum & croak in the Seasons, most say it's not the way because they play re entrant, but it depends on how you want to play - there are no hard & fast rules - we just want to make music. :)

I use thumb down, & index finger up, if I'm going both ways - or just brush my finger tips down over the strings - depends how I feel. ;)

June,

You'll develop a richer tone with your other fingers as you play more, but it might never match the richness of the thumb (especially as your thumb gains more experience).

There's a place for different finger designations for strumming. Plenty of jazz musicians use their thumb for downstrokes to take advantage of its meatier tone (John Lawlor on tenor guitar, Abe Lagrimas Jr. on 'ukulele, etc.). On the other hand, certain strum patterns, such as ones that use an alternating thumb pattern, are easier to accomplish with the use of at least one other finger.

In short, there are myriad right hand approaches to the 'ukulele. Which ones you use will be determined in the long run and will likely be informed by your repertoire.

Last edited:
There are five sticky outy things at the end of your arm. You are permitted to use any or all of them to strum your uke. You can make lots of different sounds that way. But you need to record and listen back to be sure it is the sound you are trying for. And there are all kinds of picks and plectrums, each with a different sound.

A big difference is thumb is usually pad down, nail up while a finger is the reverse. Lately, I have been learning to use my thumb because I have worn down the nail on my index and forefinger.

If you like using the thumb..use it. You get additional freedom for different strums with other fingers...and I’d also wager that you can strum faster and more control with your index finger versus your thumb.

But there are no steadfast rules in ukulele...and if anyone says there are, keep away from them. There are best practices but no iron clad rules.

I am one that wishes I could use my thumb comfortably at times. It feels awkward for me. Probably cause I'm a lefty that plays righty.

I know there are rules/guidelines that are out there about how to correctly play, but I think sometimes your way is the right way. If you like the tone and it feels comfortable to you I wouldn't get too hung up about it. As you move along you will find yourself falling naturally into your pattern. However, trying new things opens you up to abilities and pushes you further. I think you do you and all is good!

June, I know what you mean, and I sometimes think I might keep working with that thumb strum until I get good with it, because it does indeed seem to produce a very "elegant" tone and texture which can be perfect with the right kind of songs. James Hill has a video out there that features him playing a slow jazzy tune ("After You've Gone") with just the pad of his thumb; it's awesome. Now..... we need to get you doing simple arrangements of songs that you like, and singing along when others ARE around!

Last edited:
Here's my perspective as a more advanced beginner: you need everything....eventually.

what I mean by that is I recently saw an "ethnic" strum pattern I liked; it had five elements:

1. downstroke with index
2. downstroke with thumb
3. upstroke with something (I use the knuckle of my thumb)
4. a muted downstroke
5. an upstroke

My intention isn't to intimidate you. I merely want to show you that there's a lot of strokes that you need. Therefore, focus and develop your thumb stroke. Then, when the need arises, inculcate and incorporate a new strum. Over time you'll have several tools in your strum toolbox and then you can do some various and varied things with the same chords.

There is no right or wrong way to strum...as long as you're using some part of your hand. But there are some liabilities of using the thumb which off-set the richness which you hear. When you use the thumb, the last digit on the hand, your hand is beneath the strings and you are forced to move back above the strings to initiate another strum. Alternatively, if you use one of the other fingers, then your thumb is still available for another downstroke, if you need it. This could matter if you want to strum triplets. it probably doesn't matter if you are just strumming quarter notes.

My recommendation is to develop your style (my style is to use my ring finger for downstrokes and my thumb knuckle for upstorkes; that's just what seems natural to me). Develop your style and perfect it, and when it doesn't fit the requirements for something new, then expand your style to use some new finger. Eventually you will have control of all your fingers and it will merely be a matter of choice for you as to which finger you use.

So, don't get frustrated because you aren't doing everything right now. Take it step by step and make sure that your current stroke can play the song you want to play. There's no point in beating yourself up because you can't perform a tremolo a la Taimane or Jake when your song doesn't really need that flourish

Last edited:
Whatever makes the music come out.

The Ukulele Police will be after you if you use your thumb, just like they are after me because I have very short (they break if I try to grow them) fingernails, so I usually use the pads of my fingers and thumb.

Oh, wait: There are no Ukulele Police....

There really is only One Rule for playing ukulele - Have Fun!

-Kurt​

I merged the responses of your 2nd thread to the first one. No reason to post the same question twice to elicit more responses.

Thanks, everyone, for all of this helpful feedback! You've given me lots to think about and great reasons to develop other strumming techniques.

The people on this forum are so nice. I really appreciate that.

Kanaka916 - Thanks for merging. Apologies if posting the same message in two areas is frowned upon.

Best to all,
June

Top Bottom