Thread: Body shapes and ukulele sizes

Default Body shapes and ukulele sizes

Question for those of you who build different sizes ( soparano, tenor, etc).

Do you use the same general shape and proportion, and just sized up or down relatively? Or do you have a specific shape for each size? If the latter, how and why were these shapes developed differently? Are there certain characteristics of the shapes that work better for each size? Like would a shape that makes a good soparano not work as well for a tenor or baritone if simply sized up, for some reason?

My ukuleles are based around a guitar I desinged years before.

I scaled them around the widest traditional size of the lower bout for that instrument and case that I could source in Australia. Turned out that the traditional scale lengths placed the saddle pretty much dead center of the lower bout with a 12th fret body join, except for my soprano where it ended up being a 14 fret to body.

Allen, I see you have a distictive signature design, which works well in various sizes. It's quite a nice balance of traditional and modern. I like it. By the photos on your site, I see you do fantastic work by the way!

I use molds to build my ukulele and the molds were made from plans that as far as I know were taken from Martin ukes. My vintage model mold was made when a friend loaned me his 1918 Jonah Kumalae soprano and I took the dimensions from that.

Thread Information