Purchasing a Tenor from which company

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I want to buy a tenor on line and I have found a company in Thailand where I live to order from. There is many to pick from so I need help, advise on which brands are best. Please give me your opinion on the following list or anything you may suggest.

Lanikai, Carabao, Kmise, Leho, Aquila, Kala, Gretsch, Luna, Enya, Kohala, and Kalana.

Thank you

I have several Kala, (long neck soprano, concert, tenor, & baritone) - all good ukes.

(I also have KoAloha, Ohana & RISA ukes.)

Edited: As I misread your list of makes. :)

Last edited:
Of the brands you mention, my choice would be Kala, Gretsch or Luna...

Of the brands you mention, my choice would be Kala, Gretsch or Luna...

As long as they come with a setup, I agree with that list, the first two at least.

I am trying to stay under 10,000 baht, about $330. to keep wife happy. Really if only up to me, no limit. Ha ha ha. I really think around 300 or less should be good for a non-professional.

I am trying to stay under 10,000 baht, about $330. to keep wife happy. Really if only up to me, no limit. Ha ha ha. I really think around 300 or less should be good for a non-professional.

have you been in contact with Asada at
www.ribbee.com

buying online is a hit a miss on all imports. but kala is probably your best bang for buck.
go with a KALA TG, KALA CG, or KALA SLNG. its only half your budget. then save for a Hawaii made.

But can you go to the ukulele shop in person and try it? that's the best option.

Went to Bangkok this last weekend for the purpose of purchaseing a tenor ukulele. Went to Terminal 21 Mall and the Ribbee store had moved. No one knew to where. I have sent them e-mails in the past which have been unanswered.

My wife called Baan Ukulele and they are under construction for at least another month. They too do not answer e-mails.

So I came home disappointed. A four hour drive to Bangkok, a night in a hotel, and a four hour drive home is a waste of time when a store moves but does not post that information anywhere. Ribbee was the store I mainly went to see. So when I got home I went on line to Lazada. A mail order company in Thailand. I have dealt with them in the past. Good service and honest. I found that they have many ukuleles listed for sale so I decided to go that route. Only problem is which one. They all look nice. I previously ordered my baritone through Amazon and except for the expensive customs tax and expensive shipping I got a great ukulele. Kala Baritone. I love it. So now I hope to avoide thoe expenses and order from in country.

I've played two Leho ukes, a maple body/spruce top tenor and a maple body/cedar top thin soprano. Both were well setup (no idea if they came that way from the factory), visually stunning and had good projection and note separation.

My impression of both is that they were very Kala-like (the two I played weren't dissimilar from the nicer Kala models), with a similar neck profile. Perhaps they are made in the same factory? In any case, I know Kimo Hussey endorses them.

I agree with the Kala recommendation, but be aware that Kala makes ukes in a huge range of price and quality.

Yeah, Great post. What I was thinking. Can't lose with Kala. But there are a bunch of different levels.

I have a spruce-top Kala ASOV-T (ovangkol back & sides), and the sound, which I wouldn't particularly characterize as "bright", is nonetheless quite lovely - it's very full and resonant, with both great sustain and note separation. I've only tried Kala of all the brands in the OP's post. I would only buy an instrument with all solid woods, no laminates, but that's me.

bratsche

Top Bottom