Cedar/rosewood strings

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've never had a cedar/rosewood tenor before, until a used Ohana TK-50G arrived recently. It came with Aquila Nylgut strings, which didn't sound as good as I'd hoped on this uke, not the rich tone I expected for this wood combo. Next, I tried Worth Clears. They were better, but a bit too much treble for me. Then tried swapping in a low G .030 classical guitar string, which works very well on solid mahogany tenors, but it was boom city on the rosewood, hated it. Finally tried a reentrant set of Worth Browns, and they are great for this uke, giving a rich, complex tone, with just the right amount of treble. For me, they are the perfect strings for this rosewood/cedar uke.

I agree 100%. I have a cedar/rosewood Pono tenor that sounded very nice when I received it, but it seemed to be missing "something" - I didn't know what. Worth Browns make it sing.

Just proves the point to try different strings as much as you can. You never know what may transform your instrument for the better, or sometimes worse. What works for one, will not necessarily work for another.

I also find my spruce/rosewood needs a bit of "calming down". Worth browns or Oasis Warms are good choices.

Top Bottom