New Pins on the Kanilea

OhioBelle

Reaction score
20180506_152948.jpg
These are by John Pearse, purchased from Elderly. The set included six bridge pins, an end pin, and a strap pin. I was hoping the faux tortoise would work with the colors of the Kia. I think it does, and am quite happy.

They look great!! John Pearse has nice stuff. I have some of their faux tortoise shell guitar picks that are nice. For bridge pins I normally steer toward Bob Colosi, but these look real nice!

Thanks all! I didn't mind the stock black plastic ones too much (with the exception of the molding seam), but since I needed a strap button, I thought "why not?" Now that they're installed, I'm really liking the look.

And yes, bsfloyd, I agree about Bob Colisi. I have some of his lovely vintage bone pins on the Taylor GS Mini from my guitar playing days. I highly recommend his work as well.

Did these fit without modification?

I tried to use Taylor brand pins (ebony with abalone dot), and they didn't fit. I ended up using them on a guitar that had plastic pins instead, but am still looking for nicer looking, non-plastic, pins for a Kanile'a.

The shafts fit perfectly in the holes. The knobs stick up a bit higher then the originals, as they've got an extra shape, like a collar, at the base. I'll take a pic for comparison.

I like the matching pins and strap buttons! I think Kanile'a could do a little better on their instruments than plastic bridge pins.

I got some pins from Kanile'a, I think they're rosewood and a snakewood strap button from Stew-Mac...
pinswood.jpg

Did these fit without modification?

I tried to use Taylor brand pins (ebony with abalone dot), and they didn't fit. I ended up using them on a guitar that had plastic pins instead, but am still looking for nicer looking, non-plastic, pins for a Kanile'a.

My recollection is that Taylor pins have a 4 degree taper, while most others are 3 degree.

I like the matching pins and strap buttons! I think Kanile'a could do a little better on their instruments than plastic bridge pins.

I got some pins from Kanile'a, I think they're rosewood and a snakewood strap button from Stew-Mac...
View attachment 108859

Agreed on the black plastic, Danno! And love those rosewood pins on yours. Great complement to the binding.

If you’re looking for exact fit, try Bob Colosi in Georgia http://www.guitarsaddles.com/
If you send him the originals that fit, he will make up a set out of a range of materials. He’ll Also do saddles and nuts. I’ve purchased stuff from him before. His work is of the highest quality.

Top Bottom