Tiny Tenor.....different wood, different sound

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Just curious from members with TT in the different woods. How much of a difference do the different woods make to the TT sound? Mahogany vrs spaulted mango vrs all Koa?

There was also and all solid spruce mahogany model but I see HMS sold it. I have the solid spruce top/laminate mahogany and I like it so much I want to add an all solid version. I just don’t know which wood to get and I’m too far away to play the different models.

If you have an all solid TT and would like to comment on sound for your model that may help me. If you’ve played different models, comment on sound differences, in you opinion.

I’ve been listening to sound samples but hard to tell in my iPad!

Thanks in advance

I have the solid all mahogany TT. I tried the solid Koa, I tried the laminate spruce I think. There is a lot of difference. My TT is quiet, the koa is loud. Mine is buttery and smooth, the koa is powerful and a little "tight." The body of my TT reverberates tremendously. The koa not much. In fact, I would say the mahogany certainly feels physically lighter. With the mahogany the pressure you exert with your strumming forearm will change the character of the uke a lot. Something that I find quite useful. If I were a rich man . . . I'd have both. hehe

I have the solid all mahogany TT. I tried the solid Koa, I tried the laminate spruce I think. There is a lot of difference. My TT is quiet, the koa is loud. Mine is buttery and smooth, the koa is powerful and a little "tight." The body of my TT reverberates tremendously. The koa not much. In fact, I would say the mahogany certainly feels physically lighter. With the mahogany the pressure you exert with your strumming forearm will change the character of the uke a lot. Something that I find quite useful. If I were a rich man . . . I'd have both. hehe

Can you comment on the laminate version as I am considering that for a low G uke.

All I know is a friend sold us her mahogany TT so she could buy a rosewood/spruce model...

I can only speak for the all-mahogany model TT, as well. When one recently came up in the marketplace, I jumped on it, because the all-mahogany was the one that most attracted me from the videos I'd watched, as well as from comments on the forum elsewhere, including those of Nickie and cyber3d and others.

Cyber3d commented, "the pressure you exert with your strumming forearm will change the character of the uke a lot. Something that I find quite useful." My own playing style isn't strumming, but this makes sense, because when I fingerpick the instrument, it produces a pleasing palette of tonal variety from where and how hard I pluck the strings, being extremely responsive to my touch.

The all-mahogany TT may be quiet in comparison to the koa version, but I would not call it a quiet instrument in general. I was also pleased that the low C string I put on it for 5ths tuning speaks very well in balance with the other strings, even with the shallow, smallish body. I'm glad I got it, it's a keeper for sure, it has its own unique voice that's different from my other two tenors, and it's the one I will take when I travel due to its compact size.

bratsche

Can you comment on the laminate version as I am considering that for a low G uke.

I did not spend enough time with the laminate. But, I will say that I liked it. The build quality is superb. I was looking for a uke that was different sounding. The Mahogany TT is great for finger picking IMO.

Thanks for reply’s. I found a you tube with Daniel Ho, playing all three solid TT, back to back. They all sound good. I’ve got a bit of time to shop so enjoying my TT so,I’d top. There is a great used one on UU Marketplace but concerned traveling with spruce/rosewood will be a hassle.

I have a mango TT and love it, nice and loud, but I can not tell you if it is louder than the other versions. I love it. Great tone, sounds beautiful.

Top Bottom