Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Flight TUS35 ABS Travel Uke

Quote Originally Posted by Badger uke View Post
    Got a new tus35 today and it has metal frets a plastic nut and bridge , the bridge is two parts the build quality is good except the twelve fret marker is not flush with the board , Iím not sure but I think others have said they have a one piece compensated bridge mine is none compensated and two piece.Attachment 121772
    Does the bridge really have a saddle bone that can be replaced? I can't see that in your picture. The metal frets are really good ones in my opinion, but not good if it has an uncompensated bridge when playing highest frets with E and especially C strings. My TUS-50 wallnut top one with compensated saddle is very accurate on intonation there, but so easy to in error bend those strings sharp there.

Can you post a link from where to bought a such one?

I will take a pic tomorrow jarmo not sure the bridge is bone it’s black and definitely removable.

The sound is really good but the tuners are average and the bag will be replaced , I’ve had a close look at the saddle and I can’t tell what it’s made of .image.jpg

Hi everyone...over the last months I have developed some connections at Flight, so I asked about this. Apparently Flight TUS 35 had a compensated saddle, which was non-removable (As does my model), but they had some issues with that design and chose to go with the other design where the saddle is replaceable.

As I've mentioned before, it took the task of comparing a Magic Fluke to the TUS 35 to realize how good of an instrument it is...and I liked the compensated saddle.

I was also told that when they shipped a TUS 35 whose action was high, they now include a second lower saddle.

All that said, three things are true.

1) Many ukulele manufacturers do not use a compensated saddle...including some of the "big" names (e.g. KoAloha).

2) You can always compensate a saddle for yourself. Most of us aren't going to do that, and I'm not sure that I would. But when my EleUke Electric Peanut arrived, it came with instructions on how to shave the saddle to compensate for pitch, if you felt that you needed it.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Interesting. I would've dropped the action a bit on the one I had if it would've had the removable saddle.
    Does it also have metal frets now for real, or just the painted tops to make them look like metal still? I'm not sure how well actual metal frets would hold in an ABS neck/fingerboard...I guess super glue would do it.

I have personally found that on sopranos especially, but other sizes too, the compensated saddle doesn't always make a difference. I would guess the higher the action is the more difference it could make.
    I've had some ukes with a straight saddle that had exceptional intonation...and some with compensated that weren't as good in that respect.
    Last edited by jer; 10-05-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Hi Jer my frets are metal , I don’t know what the saddle is made of as it is black if it’s not bone a upgrade would be interesting. Mine didn’t come with a second lower saddle.
    Last edited by Badger uke; 10-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger uke View Post
    The sound is really good but the tuners are average and the bag will be replaced , I’ve had a close look at the saddle and I can’t tell what it’s made of .image.jpg
    Your bridge bone on saddle, if it is replaceable, does not look so easy to do. From your photo, it can't be slide one way or other. so there is the length and then the thickness both to fit it in that is the problem. I also wondered why
    Flight would use a same model number, if metal frets instead plastic ones on fingerboard, just does not make any sense to me.

Probably just improving there product as there is a lot of competition.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I was in touch with a representative from Flight recently about the TUS-35 and the frets are not metal. They are still the same silver painted plastic frets.
    Of course it is a metallic silver paint, so they are made to look like metal. This makes them easier to see. I'm not sure how well the paint holds up. I will say I played the one I had daily for a month and didn't see any wear....I'm not in touch with the new owner so not sure how well it is doing by now...if it is even getting any play time.

Has anyone tried Aquila sugars if so how did you find them compared to the super nyguts .Thanks

Thread Information