NUD: Flight TUS35 ABS Travel Uke

Bales1983

Reaction score
Well yet another new Ukulele arrived today! Greeted by the usual delivery driver with the usual comment 'Another new guitar?' Usually just smile as dont have the time to explain its NOT a guitar :D

This one is an ABS Soprano Uke direct from Flight Music in Slovenia, it is pretty much all ABS except the sound board and an inlay for the front of the headstock,

It plays amazingly well with one of the lowest actions i have seen so far in my Uke journey, any lower and im sure it would buzz. Nice inlay detail for fret markers at 5 7 10 and 12 and a zero fret for intonation. As its ABS molded all of these should be spot on. Standard unbranded geared tuners, the work well with no wobble.

It came with a very good quality fitted gig bag included and is available in about 6 different colours.

This was a great buy at 45 euros (about £40) with free European delivery! I ordered this on 30th April so it did take 10 days to wind itself across Europe to me in the UK.

Im finding it ideal as a beater to just carry around with me so I can practice as much as id like too.

I saw Baz review its bigger brother the TUS50 and i have to say I agree these are nice just as he said.

Well worth a punt if your looking for a sturdy take anywhere strummer :)

full.jpghead.jpgtuners.jpgbag.jpg

Lee

Glad you like your new Flight uke, Lee. I bought my TUS35 (in dark blue) from a UK website (musicroom.com) shortly after Baz did the review of the TUS50. I paid about US$6.50 for regular mail delivery (10-14 days). You can imagine my surprise when the uke arrived at my door in Oregon (USA) only 4 days later! It's a great little ukulele for the money. Good tone, good action, good intonation. It's my first soprano scale uke, and it has unexpectedly become my gateway instrument into thumb picking. The great sustain (especially on the A and E strings) is very helpful to someone new to finger-picking, like me. :)

Last edited:
Hi Lee, Jan, and all! I recently got the Flight TUS35 in the orange color, and I have to agree, it's a wonderful value. I've put Martin M-600 strings on it, and they give it a nice edgy tone. I also replaced the stock tuners (which frankly were just fine, but you know how it goes...) with a set of geared Grovers that I had lying around; the screw holes lined up perfectly with the new tuners, but I did have to pop out the chrome bushings from the holes in the headstock, and then slightly enlarge those holes, to allow the Grover posts to slide through comfortably. Then, I slid some little black plastic donut-shaped thingies (which I had purchased online a while back) over each post, as a finishing touch, prior to attaching each new string. I'll try to include a couple of photos here. This little uke sounds really good, honestly, and is comfortable to hold, and plays about as accurately as any uke I've played. A very pleasant surprise indeed!
IMG_20181006_134350.jpg IMG_20181006_135209.jpg

My TUS 50 has the finest intonation. I was surprised you told it being of low action, because actually to me the action is quite high, despite the zero fret of course.
That is important and I love the intonation be just fine up to 15th fret.

I too have put Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings on it. They work just nice in case you wonder. The sound of TUS 50 (I guess 35 too) is wonderful when picked and solo played. When strummed the plastic nature will show up somewhat and I prefer a wooden uke then over.

But as a newbie uke with a good intonation it gets a nod from me Yes.

Last edited:
Good thoughts, Jarmo. I would say the action on mine is "medium-low"; and yes, finger-picked passages sound very crisp and distinct, while strummed passages can in fact be just a little "muddy", but I've found that this can be controlled to a fair degree by easing up on the strumming attack. One thing I really like about this uke is that when you play it, you can feel the whole thing vibrating in your hands, and it sort of feels like the instrument is part of you. Sounds strange, I know, but it's pretty cool!

Amazon currently has the turquoise version (TUS35 LB) for $27.81.

I just talked myself out of buying another ukulele, but I'd been eyeballing the Flight Travel Ukes and this was too good a price to pass up. I have a Flea I really enjoy and I'm curious how they compare.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up on that turquoise special, Lilly! I'm doing my best to fight off the impulse to grab one, as I am so happy with my orange one!
I think you'll find that the Flight compares favorably to the Flea. The main difference I've noticed is that the Flight will feel just a little more "weighty" in your fretting hand, which to me is not necessarily a bad thing. I have had a few Fleas and Flukes (still do), and I've always been very satisfied with them. The Flight TUS-35 is a nice variation on the theme, and I give it good marks for sound, playability, and accuracy.

I like that orange, Bill. I have a dark blue one fitted with Aquila Reds and it sounds great picked or strummed. If I didn't feel I have to own a good mahogany soprano, it could be my only soprano. So I got one of the turquoise ones for $25 with tax--like I needed it. They are so durable, you can hand one to a curious child and let them have fun, and not worry at all about damage. I suspect that's where the new one will end up. I love taking mine camping.

Thanks for the heads-up on that turquoise special, Lilly! I'm doing my best to fight off the impulse to grab one, as I am so happy with my orange one!
I think you'll find that the Flight compares favorably to the Flea. The main difference I've noticed is that the Flight will feel just a little more "weighty" in your fretting hand, which to me is not necessarily a bad thing. I have had a few Fleas and Flukes (still do), and I've always been very satisfied with them. The Flight TUS-35 is a nice variation on the theme, and I give it good marks for sound, playability, and accuracy.

I hope they have changed the plastic fretboard frets to something more durable than in my TUS 50. I have changed the original nylgut strings to Martin M600 fluorocarbon and I do notice some dents on the lowest frets under the strings. They don't affect yet any on the intonation or sound, so I hope it will last still much longer.

I don't see anything else wearing out.

The zero fret especially makes tuning such, that I can many times just downtune a too high pitch string, as the usual procedure is to tune too low and then up to a pitch.The mechanism is so smooth I think.

Amazon currently has the turquoise version (TUS35 LB) for $27.81.

I just talked myself out of buying yet another ukulele, but I'd been eyeballing the Flight Travel Ukes and this was too good a price to pass up. I have a Flea I really enjoy and I'm curious how they compare.

The price for that one has been going up and down for a few weeks. I bought one when it was at $32. Was gonna buy another if it dipped below $20, but it fell to $22, then shot back up to $29.

I've been having a lot of fun watching (and playing) that thing.

In the week or so I've had mine, it's pretty much bumped the Outdoor Uke as my "toss it in my backpack and go to work" uke. My favorite thing, though, is the nut width. The nut on my tenor Islander is a tad wider, but from what I can tell, string spacing is virtually identical (any difference is trivial).

Last edited:
I like that orange, Bill. I have a dark blue one fitted with Aquila Reds and it sounds great picked or strummed. If I didn't feel I have to own a good mahogany soprano, it could be my only soprano. So I got one of the turquoise ones for $25 with tax--like I needed it. They are so durable, you can hand one to a curious child and let them have fun, and not worry at all about damage. I suspect that's where the new one will end up. I love taking mine camping.

Well, Ziret, it's often been said that everyone needs a turquoise uke... what...? that hasn't been said, ever...? well, okay then, I'm glad you got one anyway!
I agree with what you said-- but for the desirability of a nice mahogany, the orange Flight could be my only soprano too!

Mine arrived a couple days ago. It's pretty nice, very responsive and a lot of fun to play!

Something I haven't seen mentioned in any descriptions - the finish on the laminate top is very very matte. I'm wondering if there's something simple I could do to make it more of a satin finish.

Any ideas? I know, probably a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Last edited:
Mine arrived a couple days ago. It's pretty nice, very responsive and a lot of fun to play!

Something I haven't seen mentioned in any descriptions - the finish on the laminate top is very very matte. I'm wondering if there's something simple I could do to make it more of a satin finish.

Any ideas? I know, probably a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hahahahaha, Lilly! You're probably right. I'll admit that too often my motto has been, "It ain't broke; let me fix it anyway".

I am with Lillymo, would sure like a light coat of satin urathane or such over the Turquoise. I am uncertain if it would lift the existing matte finish? Just happen to have a set of new Grover’s myself. One of the stock tuners turned with much difficulty and I had to do a little adjustment to get it working like the others.

I think y'all got some great deals.

Top Bottom