NUD: Flight TUS35 ABS Travel Uke

Hahahahaha! Yes! I don't know why that price would be so high, but occasionally you'll see things on "the big A" that appear to be way out of whack like that.

Got the all-black version of the Flight TUS-35 soprano a couple of days ago (just like Lee's, who started this particular thread). I have "tricked it out" a little by replacing the stock black-buttoned tuners with white-buttoned Grovers, and also by using those little white plastic tuning post covers in lieu of the standard chrome bushings in the headstock holes (which holes I had to enlarge ever-so-slightly from the back side in order to allow the Grover posts to slide through smoothly). This uke was perfectly fine out of the box, but I thought it might be fun to give it a little visual "pop" by making these alterations. I think it looks pretty good, kinda different. I have put a set of Martin M-600's on it, and it is very nice! Photo attached...
IMG_20181130_201525.jpg

If Bill doesn't have one, I did Yellow by Coldplay over on the Links & Videos section, on my TUS35 with M600s.

Hi Lilly, I'm afraid I'm not able to provide a sound sample, but John's (Ukecaster's) video does provide a nice example of how the M-600's would sound on the Flight. (And by the way, John, great job on that Coldplay tune!) I have also had Fremont Blackline Hard Tensions on mine, and they sound very nice too, although they give you a little tighter feel (resistance-wise), and they have a slightly "rounder" tone to my ear, whereas I would describe the M-600's as a little more "crisp". Sounds like we're discussing pie crust.

Got the all-black version of the Flight TUS-35 soprano a couple of days ago (just like Lee's, who started this particular thread). I have "tricked it out" a little by replacing the stock black-buttoned tuners with white-buttoned Grovers, and also by using those little white plastic tuning post covers in lieu of the standard chrome bushings in the headstock holes (which holes I had to enlarge ever-so-slightly from the back side in order to allow the Grover posts to slide through smoothly). This uke was perfectly fine out of the box, but I thought it might be fun to give it a little visual "pop" by making these alterations. I think it looks pretty good, kinda different. I have put a set of Martin M-600's on it, and it is very nice! Photo attached...
View attachment 113834

we do seem to live in a black and white world these days ..
I like the domino affect....

I'm talking strictly Uke here when it comes to domino affect:)

I just ordered one in orange from Presto Music in england to be shipped to me in Oakland CA.

What does Presto Music charge for shipping to USA?

They charged me $3.70, and the total price came to 42.45 including the shipping. I received an email today saying that it was shipped. I did not receive a tracking number, which may reduce the shipping cost. Either way I expect it should arrive in about 10 days.

I will let you know when it arrives.

Last edited:
I think that the price on their website includes the VAT, which if they sell it to someone in the US, the portion of the price which is the tax helps to offset the cost of shipping to the US. Anyway I am looking forward to having the Flight ukulele, which will probably end up living in my car.

I may restring it with Fremont blackline strings. I just put a set on my Cordoba 21T tenor, and they really transformed the sound of it. Also the black strings will look very cool on an orange ukulele.

I just ordered one in orange from Presto Music in england to be shipped to me in Oakland CA.

I wonder if you'll be charged customs fees... which even if you do get charged, it shouldn't be too much.

Hmmm interesting.
The arched back makes me wonder how the Ovation style uses sound... available on eBay etc & *really* inexpensive when ordered in bulk from China wholesale.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 6.06.51 PM.jpg

I just received the orange travel ukulele, and it's really orange.

Holding it is like holding a wet bar of soap. Gonna look for some grip tape. To those who asked, there was no duty charge.

I will report with an update in the future.

Hey dcuttler, I have the orange Flight soprano too, and I have grown to like it a lot. I think it's the first "composite" type uke I've owned that doesn't sound like "strings over a bucket" (an expression I picked up from one of our respected forum members). I tried Fremont blacklines on it, which made for a good visual effect, and they sounded nice and played accurately, but sonically I have found Martin M-600's to be a little sweeter. Of course, this time next week I'll probably have blacklines on it again, you know how it goes. I did replace the stock tuners with similar-looking Grovers. I feel like this uke can hold its own with many of its more expensive brethren.

Hey dcuttler, I have the orange Flight soprano too, and I have grown to like it a lot. I think it's the first "composite" type uke I've owned that doesn't sound like "strings over a bucket" (an expression I picked up from one of our respected forum members). I tried Fremont blacklines on it, which made for a good visual effect, and they sounded nice and played accurately, but sonically I have found Martin M-600's to be a little sweeter. Of course, this time next week I'll probably have blacklines on it again, you know how it goes. I did replace the stock tuners with similar-looking Grovers. I feel like this uke can hold its own with many of its more expensive brethren.
Bill,
I have a set of Fremont Blackline fluorocarbon strings that I probably will install soon, but I first want to give the original strings a chance.

The tuners are a bit rough, but they do work, and may improve over time. I am not going to be fussy about it as any money spent defeats the whole purpose of having a cheap ukulele that will live in my car. It looks pretty bullet proof.

The zero fret feature is quite nice. I had to work on the action of my other two ukuleles, but this one is fine as it is. I am new to ukuleles, and now have 3 different sizes to compare. My tenor and concert are ok with my large hands, but the soprano is pushing the limit for me.

One thing I would like to do is to glue on something that I can use to mount a strap. As it is it wants to slither off my lap.

Well I finally put my Flight Travel ukulele in my car along with the book “Lute to Uke”.

I generally plan my morning commute so as to arrive early just in case there is anything slowing traffic on the way. Arriving early I usually surf the internet while sitting in my car until 8:00am. Not any more, I pulled out my Flight ukulele and practiced some early music.

The acoustics inside my Subaru Forester are a good match for the plastic ukulele. It sounded really nice, and I am pleased with my purchase. I was going to upgrade the strings, but I have changed my mind, and will keep the strings that came with it.

All I need to do now is to apply a strip or two of rubber anti slip material to help keep the ukulele from sliding, and life will be good.

Oh did I mention that it's orange? 👍👍👍

Top Bottom