Uke design/construction 'break throughs' ... what is next?

melensdad

Reaction score
Thinking about some of the design breakthroughs in ukuleles and I have to wonder what is next (and what have I missed?). These are not necessarily the "first" to build in the following formats but they have become the standards, are actually serious instruments with good-to-excellent sound quality. Not necessarily loved or even liked by all, but truly different in some ways and potentially groundbreaking in others and all with some serious quality. These are real instruments, even if unusual, and are not toys. But there must be others.

OUTDOOR UKULELE ... not the first plastic ukes but clearly a quality build that has become an icon in the durable, go-anywhere uke world. Generally considered to be a serious instrument with very good quality and very good reputation, but a bit quieter than a traditional ukulele. KLOS is now making a carbon fiber ukulele, not sure its any better, and while not plastic, it basically is pretty much the same thing as an OUTDOOR UKE in terms of general durability, design, even if material is different.

CLARA BLACKBIRD ... an astounding composite material and an unusual design that gives an amazing sound. Coveted as a very serious instrument with a top quality build. This is not carbon fiber, its more of a fancy HPL that is basically made of paper and epoxy with some unusual design features like a hollow neck that projects sound out through the headstock.

ROMERO CREATIONS TINY TENOR ... concert size with a tenor scale and a big sound coming out of a small body. Not really a traditional paddle or pineapple shape uke because of the combination of overall size and scale. Very good quality build, wonderful sound, very good reputation.

MAGIC FLUKE ... serious quality instruments with good sound coming out of a plastic body with a laminate wood top. Laminate sound board with plastic body is now copied, in other shapes, by other companies. A good travel, knock around Uke which is still considered a real instrument.

RISA TRAVEL UKULELE ... or 'Sound Stick' style ukulele which is essentially a fretboard size/shaped ukulele. Good enough electronics to make it sound good. Playing without electronics gives a very quiet sound output because there is no body, no soundboard.

BONANZA UKULELES ... made from high pressure laminates, top, sides and back. Corian fretboards. Some might consider these to be travel type ukes, some versions have traditional double bout bodies, other variants have somewhat unusual shapes. Nice quality, nice tone. The MARTIN OX is similar but they don't use Corian fretboards. Enya also is offering HPL ukes.

NATIONAL RESOPHONIC ... an oldie but a goodie. Before amplification there were resonators. There now seem to be low and high priced variations. Beltona is a fiberglass variant that seems to be serious about quality, its probably the only one that has done much innovation on the resonators since the early days.

What have I missed?

Perhaps more importantly, what is coming next?

Last edited:
Interested to hear what others say.

One correction on Bonanza. Corian is used for the nut and saddle but not the fretboard.

As far as what's next? Hmm, I dunno. I might say 3D printing, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet.

Interested to hear what others say.

One correction on Bonanza. Corian is used for the nut and saddle but not the fretboard.

As far as what's next? Hmm, I dunno. I might say 3D printing, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet.

Corian is used on the Bonanza fretboards too. Perhaps not all of them. At least it used to be offered.

I don't know if these fit your post, but I cruise eBay for tenor ukes most everyday and find a variety of none standard designs all the time. I especially like Bruce Wei's models, which have been available for some time. He makes a mandolin style and I had him custom one for me, also I just bought a paddle style from his eBay store with the Hawaiian Islands as sound holes. Then there's a style that has a series of sound holes all around the sides of the bouts and none on the top, had him custom one of those for me too with spalted and flame mango.

Mandolele black finished 700.jpg

BWA paddle island uke 800.jpg

Spalted done binding.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if these fit your post, ...

I guess I'm looking for more groundbreaking and innovative designs that break barriers and often lead to copies of these new styles. Something that is, in some way, totally new to the world of ukes, is considered at very least evolutionary if not revolutionary, something that is also not just a gimmick but is a serious instrument. Pretty much has to check off all those buttons.

Then there's a style that has the a series of sound holes all around the sides of the bouts and none on the top, had him custom one of those for me too with spalted and flame mango.

Gorgeous uke! How loud is it with these unconventional sound "vents"? The wood is so beautiful on this one.

I agree with Jim that 3D printing is not quite there, but it will be the next major advancement. Not the how cute one piece molded uke, but a high quality integrated braced ukulele with dissimilar materials. Basically dial up exactly the shape and tone you want.

I also see the use of composites in tuners. No need for metal gearing. The world is going to no maintenance products. There will always be a demand for traditional instruments, but I can see the attraction of a made to order impervious ukulele.

John

If you dig into further history, you'll find a lot of novel construction ideas that didn't survive, but were interesting nonetheless: airplane shaped ukuleles by Harmony, first electrical amplification with magentic pickups by Gibson, the 'stick-em-in-the-sand' headstock shapes by Swagerty (and Petersen), the double-soundtable ukuleles designed by Gelas, carved-top foating bridge constructions by Radiotone... Designs that did make it, are the Kamaka pineapple, and the 6 and 8 string versions...

If you dig into further history, you'll find a lot of novel construction ideas that didn't survive, but were interesting nonetheless: airplane shaped ukuleles by Harmony, first electrical amplification with magentic pickups by Gibson, the 'stick-em-in-the-sand' headstock shapes by Swagerty (and Petersen), the double-soundtable ukuleles designed by Gelas, carved-top foating bridge constructions by Radiotone... Designs that did make it, are the Kamaka pineapple, and the 6 and 8 string versions...
yup I think 5,6 and 8 string ukes would qualify. Forgot about those.

Not sure, however, it makes sense to include failed designs in this list. Probably 100x more failed designs than revolutionary new designs.

I mentioned those, but I don’t think it is really all that revolutionary. Seems like it’s a glorified OUTDOOR UKULELE that is made of carbon fiber instead of plastic. That said it is logical to suspect that we will see more super materials like carbon fiber.

I mentioned those, but I don’t think it is really all that revolutionary. Seems like it’s a glorified OUTDOOR UKULELE that is made of carbon fiber instead of plastic. That said it is logical to suspect that we will see more super materials like carbon fiber.

I'm thinking more of an affordable Blackbird as opposed to a molded saddle, fret, nut, pop-out; not to diminish what Outdoor has done. If is is successful, then the revolutionary part will be the price. I have always had an issue with the price of synthetic material instruments that can be replicated indefinitely (within tooling lifespans).

John

I'm thinking more of an affordable Blackbird as opposed to a molded saddle, fret, nut, pop-out; not to diminish what Outdoor has done. If is is successful, then the revolutionary part will be the price. I have always had an issue with the price of synthetic material instruments that can be replicated indefinitely (within tooling lifespans).

John
But the Blackbird is already on the list. Its the Blackbird that is the groundbreaking uke.

Its not carbon fiber like the KLOS. Its some sort of flax(?) based HPL epoxy sort of a thing. But the Blackbird is the one that successfully broke all the rules in construction and in design. KLOS simple made a traditional double bout out of a different material and marketed it to the same general crowd that buys durable ukuleles for use outside, which is why I think of it more as a something that follows the OUTDOOR UKULELE brand of ukes.

I'll give the KLOS credit for using carbon fiber, no argument from me on that point, and is is different than the OUTDOOR on many details but I see it as following others rather than doing something that is more ground breaking? Maybe I'm missing the point on the shift in materials to carbon fiber, maybe I should consider that more ground breaking?

I might say 3D printing, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet.

I saw a 3D printed ukulele at the University of Rochester. Didn't get to try it out. So, though it may have been junk, it's been done.

I saw a 3D printed ukulele at the University of Rochester. Didn't get to try it out. So, though it may have been junk, it's been done.

Being done is not good enough.

Being done and being good enough to stand apart is what we need to find ... and logically using technology to shape a body to customize the tone to user's preferences, that might be worthwhile :D

But the Blackbird is already on the list. Its the Blackbird that is the groundbreaking uke.

Its not carbon fiber like the KLOS. Its some sort of flax(?) based HPL epoxy sort of a thing. But the Blackbird is the one that successfully broke all the rules in construction and in design. KLOS simple made a traditional double bout out of a different material and marketed it to the same general crowd that buys durable ukuleles for use outside, which is why I think of it more as a something that follows the OUTDOOR UKULELE brand of ukes.

I'll give the KLOS credit for using carbon fiber, no argument from me on that point, and is is different than the OUTDOOR on many details but I see it as following others rather than doing something that is more ground breaking? Maybe I'm missing the point on the shift in materials to carbon fiber, maybe I should consider that more ground breaking?

What are you talking about? Blackbird made one of this first carbon fiber guitars and then they made carbon fiber ukuleles years ago. Ekoa is a recent invention and I'll give them all the credit for that breakthrough; although it is not a material being copied by anyone else. It is pitched as a green material, it sounds and plays well, but it is not as strong as carbon fiber. I do have a Clara and I am well aware if it's shortcomings. The KLOS breakthrough is not having to pay $1500 for a carbon fiber ukulele.

John

I should have been more clear, I was referring specifically to the Clara when I said the Blackbird because that is the one I singled out in the original post.

I should have been more clear, I was referring specifically to the Clara when I said the Blackbird because that is the one I singled out in the original post.

No problem. I think Blackbird makes great instruments. They do get credit for being the first successful mfg of carbon fiber ukuleles. Ekoa is a breakthough material, but I'm not sure it will be a true breakthrough in the sense that other manufacturers will imitate the use of the Ekoa or similar material.

John

Top Bottom