Humidity and action

Jarmo_S

Reaction score
I noticed now that we have summer in Finland, one of the northmost countries, my ukulele though being all laminated sounds without any buzz even when I play single notes hard.

Being laminate I certainly didn't bother at winter time with humidifiers. But it has nice low action and was buzzing somewhat at winter time in a very dry central heating humidity.

Is this the general behavior?
Maybe to make a new higher action saddle for next winter?

This is common behavior. Although the top, back, and sides of the instrument may be laminate, the neck is still a good chunk(s) of solid wood. Humidity can certainly tweak the neck, and with the tension of the strings, usually results in higher string action - thus less fret buzz. On long rainy days, my classical guitars always have higher string action.

I've started humidifying several laminates during winter because the fretboard and the saddle can shrink, causing a slight buzz or shifts in action. Some ukes aren't affected, but I would keep them away from vents or other direct sources of blowing warm air. In the southern USA, the ambient humidity in summer takes care of any problems! (Even with air conditioning)

I was rather thinking that it is still the box, despite it being laminated. And also that humidifying it at winter might be another solution, maybe? Summers are humid here also and not needing any when no heating season.

If it is the neck, then the only solution would be another saddle indeed for the next dry season. I have made a saddle for my classical guitar, so I know the process. When I changed the ukulele's strings last time and also loosened all the strings to test how firm the saddle is in place, it was quite firm indeed. So I am not that willing to make a new one quite so soon. Anyways its is not any problem at the moment.

I've started humidifying several laminates during winter because the fretboard and the saddle can shrink, causing a slight buzz or shifts in action. Some ukes aren't affected, but I would keep them away from vents or other direct sources of blowing warm air. In the southern USA, the ambient humidity in summer takes care of any problems! (Even with air conditioning)

Yep, this is why I now humidify all my instruments. I got tired of having to have fret ends filed down. I now invest in a hard case and Boveda 49% humidity packs.

100% agree with everything above. If you have solid wood anything (fretboard) the lack of humidity (generally the issue) will impact the instrument eventually. Want to be worry free? But an Outdoor Ukulele.

Anyone have an eKoa instrument? Any word on how they fair through humidity? I would be concerned even on the new Klos carbon fiber which has a wooden fretboard.

Just because it is laminate that won't keep the wood from absorbing water from the environment (or the other way around). It's just less likely to crack when that happens.

Just because it is laminate that won't keep the wood from absorbing water from the environment (or the other way around). It's just less likely to crack when that happens.

Yes that was exactly my thought too, and now what I read, some posters speak of solid wood like it is way different. Neck perhaps has a significant factor too, but I have always thought that the body is at least as important. And that the water or rather lack of it can cause the bridge go down somewhat.

I just rather don't like the idea of needing to keep the uke in a case when humidified instead ready to play.

I just rather don't like the idea of needing to keep the uke in a case when humidified instead ready to play.

If you haven’t heard Ukulele Abe’s (Ah-bay) Podcast, he just posted an interview with Jake Shimabukuro. Even Jake keeps less expensive instruments in his house and car (with two kids running around) so that he can practice as he wants. I have more than enough ukuleles (and would take more) but having the Outdoor Ukuleles available at any time results in a lot more playing. My humidified ukuleles are not hard to get out of their cases—but I do find myself reaching for the available ukulele versus a cased ukulele most of the time.

I really need Outdoor Ukuleles to make a concert scale instrument.

Top Bottom