Is it worth trying to get this fixed in Burma?

Joko

Reaction score
I haven't got the opinion of a local luthier (there's not that many here in Yangon, Myanmar) yet, but before I even bother, I thought I'd seek an opinion here. I don't know if it's even worth trying to fix this uke. This Hulala concert uke only cost me $85 in Bangkok.

On a recent motorcycle journey, the uke case accidentally got positioned in front of the exhaust pipe of the bike. The heat from the 6-hour ride burned a hole in the case and then destroyed the headstock. Tuning pegs melted. The nut melted.

I don't know. Whaddya think? Is this fixable?

30729134_10213653255864504_45776495021074805_n.jpg

Sure, why not? Replace the tuning machines, change to a bone nut.
If the headstock is a little discolored, then you've got a story to tell.

Easy fix , however it will probably cost you the price of the uke. Does it have sentimental value?, could be cheaper to replace it.

The nut and the tuning machines are replaceable and it may not cost that much where you live. No harm in asking.

What I would be concerned about and we cant see in the picture is did the neck stay straight after all the heat? If the neck warped at all I wouldn't spend the money on fixing it.

The nut and the tuning machines are replaceable and it may not cost that much where you live. No harm in asking.

What I would be concerned about and we cant see in the picture is did the neck stay straight after all the heat? If the neck warped at all I wouldn't spend the money on fixing it.

No, the neck appears undamaged, and the the charring of the headstock has given it a nice color, so I'll see if I can get it fixed. Just waiting for a local luthier recommended by a friend to get back to me.

Glancing at your vids riding your motorcycle where you do I would assume your a resourceful guy. Pretend the uke is your bike and you're stuck you'll do fine fixing it yourself I would think.

Joko, I'm also reading through your blog. At first I thought i'd take a quick look and that would be it. But now I'm hooked! I'm a bit jealous of how you were able to get rid of all your crap. I need to get rid of a lot of crap and you are my inspiration. I'm going to work on purging.

I've read up to your first day in Thailand. I got to visit Phattaya Beach courtesy of the United States Navy. It was a great experience. (No, I don't mean the kind of experience many think of when imagining sailors on shore leave! :D)

Sorry to hijack your repair thread.

Top Bottom