Talk to Me about Dead Notes

I've had this issue with a tenor, also the #D note on the C string. What helped was using a wound C string, but the quicker decay didn't entirely go away. It was part of the reason why I eventually sold the instrument. I just could not "not" hear it and it spoiled the experience for me. While it may be a controversial view, I do consider it a flaw if it's clearly audible.

I've had this issue with a tenor, also the #D note on the C string. What helped was using a wound C string, but the quicker decay didn't entirely go away. It was part of the reason why I eventually sold the instrument. I just could not "not" hear it and it spoiled the experience for me. While it may be a controversial view, I do consider it a flaw if it's clearly audible.

Thanks! I agree. :)

As a builder, one of the things I strive to avoid is having the resonant frequency of the body matching that of a note. The frequency of my sopranos tend to be close to middle C, but I make sure when all is assembled, and I tap the body, the note produced is at least 10 cents sharp or flat from C. Rarely an instrument will be within a few cents; enlarging the sound hole, thinning the top or back, or shaving the braces will adjust things.
Bradford

Interesting. I'm curious if you're building a uke and aiming for a high level of performance/ resonance, does it invariably become a compromise trying to eliminate wolf/dead notes at perhaps the cost of a less satisfying overall sound?

Top Bottom