SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

A couple of decades ago, I was lucky enough to spend a couple days in Trinidad right before Carnival. What a scene it was! But the big thrill for me was being introduced to soca music – soul calypso. It sounds like a cross between calypso and Memphis-like horns, and it sounded great to me.

I went to a show by the great David Rudder, who just blew me away. Brilliant musician – he seems to be almost Bob Marley level, which ain’t too shabby. I got a few of his albums and they have been favorites for a long time.

When I saw this week’s theme, I doubted I could do justice to any Rudder song. I still don’t know if I have, but I gave Dus’ In Deh Face a shot – at least the first verse and a chorus. It uses Trinidad slang pretty heavily, and the story needs a little explanation too.

As best I know, each year in Trinidad they have a steel drum orchestra competition called Panorama. (Steel drums are called pans down there.) This song is about one of those competitions, complete with band names, and the title refers to a boast by a band that the others will just be following behind them, with dust in their face.

I have included the lyrics here. And if you don’t know David Rudder, you can get a taste of his great music here (https://youtu.be/vtIrAyvdQG8). This one is about a legendary pan man called The Hammer, and this live version has wonderful interaction with the audience.

“Oh gorm!” Ah fella bawl out like Sprangalang
“Oh gorm!” It was a man from a big steelband
Shot call, ah fella stand up and start to cuss
How come they give the first prize to Exodus?
Well they come from the East and they play like they mad
And they wheel and they tumble
And when the dust done clear and the marks declare
Big men start to grumble
Even the Lord Kitchener start to make the manema
He say “They can’t catch we so next year Panorama
Tell them boys they have to beg for they supper”
We coming, and it’s doye doye doye doye doye doye
Doye doye doye doye doye Doye Aye!

When we see we come down
War declare in de town, is dus’ in deh face!
Dus’ in deh face!
Guns will be blasting for sure
In this musical war – Dus’ in deh face!
Dus’ in deh face!
We lookin’ for a fight, it’s trouble tonight
We feelin’ alright, it’s a panman’s war – yes me bruddah!
We come out for war, to settle a score
The tenors sawed off so it’s
Booyaka booyaka Aye mama
Dus’ in deh face! Dus’ in deh face!
Dus’ in deh face! Dus’! Dus’! Dus’!

breaking the "alternating" pattern, 'cos i think skiffle is still a bit ahead, numbers-wise, compared to calypso? i was gonna say, this is to bump up the calypso count, but i've been reliably informed by a couple of people that my calypso is actually more reggae (insofar as it is anything at all!). however, i've never let a little thing like "getting it completely wrong" stop me, so here is whatever it is, to bump up the count of SOMETHING!

"i like to play my ukulele (by the sea)"

I'm a bit surprised this one hasn't surfaced earlier. No.1 in Oz for 3 weeks in 1957. Maybe I'm too old, or it wasn't popular elsewhere...

I think the original was from Roaring Lion which was more about the Trinidad Carnival.
It is well worth the listen for the musicianship and for comparison.

A couple of decades ago, I was lucky enough to spend a couple days in Trinidad right before Carnival. What a scene it was! But the big thrill for me was being introduced to soca music – soul calypso. It sounds like a cross between calypso and Memphis-like horns, and it sounded great to me.

I went to a show by the great David Rudder, who just blew me away. Brilliant musician – he seems to be almost Bob Marley level, which ain’t too shabby. I got a few of his albums and they have been favorites for a long time.

When I saw this week’s theme, I doubted I could do justice to any Rudder song. I still don’t know if I have, but I gave Dus’ In Deh Face a shot – at least the first verse and a chorus. It uses Trinidad slang pretty heavily, and the story needs a little explanation too.

As best I know, each year in Trinidad they have a steel drum orchestra competition called Panorama. (Steel drums are called pans down there.) This song is about one of those competitions, complete with band names, and the title refers to a boast by a band that the others will just be following behind them, with dust in their face.

I have included the lyrics here. And if you don’t know David Rudder, you can get a taste of his great music here (https://youtu.be/vtIrAyvdQG8). This one is about a legendary pan man called The Hammer, and this live version has wonderful interaction with the audience.

Thanks for the bit of history. I am sure you had a great time there.
That was a sophisticated bit of playing with the different strum techniques
and also the changes in tempo. Usually a song hold the same beat
from beginning to end but you certainly mixed it up. Excellent performance,
I will have to check out David Rudder. I liked his Rally around the West Indies

breaking the "alternating" pattern, 'cos i think skiffle is still a bit ahead, numbers-wise, compared to calypso? i was gonna say, this is to bump up the calypso count, but i've been reliably informed by a couple of people that my calypso is actually more reggae (insofar as it is anything at all!). however, i've never let a little thing like "getting it completely wrong" stop me, so here is whatever it is, to bump up the count of SOMETHING!

"i like to play my ukulele (by the sea)"

One knee for the bonus. I returned the compliment and I just entered a long lost
Marc Bolan demo recording about a fan of his who liked to show her knees.

Trent told me this one was in the skiffle list. Sort of a two-chord song, except that the chorus is in a different key than the stanzas, so it uses two different sets of chords. Feel free to sing along, take a breath wherever you can!

thank you for hosting the week Rob
really enjoyed the songs and conversation
this one I hope qualifies for the theme

thank you for hosting the week Rob
really enjoyed the songs and conversation
this one I hope qualifies for the theme

Saving the best for last. Jon you just have the skills.
You had me from the beginning with that fanning of
the strings, I did not know which way you were going to
go Skiffle of Calypso... Ah the tension... then it breaks into
a solo melody and I wonder if it is going to be an instrumental.
Then the vocals come it and because you are living the song
we see the head being thrown back and a few of the famous Jon
grimaces, then there is the quickening of the tempo, and the slowing
down at the end. I can see how the arc of the song has developed
and how well it has been constructed. If all that comes naturally
then it is a very special gift. As someone once said. Stir up that gift.

The arc of the song is like a plane on a runway. Taking off, getting up to altitude
and achieving cruising speed, and then a slow safe landing at the destination.
Thanks for the musical journey. A masterclass on how to perform. Bravo!!!

Wrap up for SOTU 326 (Lonnie & Rose)

Watch the great snail race to determine the winners
of SOTU 326.

A very interesting and educational season, Rob ... enjoyed your comments! (Can I borrow the snails when it's my turn to host?)

Any old excuse for me to run the Framelapse app from my smart phone.
Last week I tried it out with with the opening of an anemone and near the
end of the footage I unexpectedly caught a couple of snails scurrying through
the dead leaves, and I wanted a chance to catch them moving once again
and that was when I came up with the idea for the selection process.
A bit weird I know, but usually there is a reason for why we do things
though it is not self evident to others.

Top Bottom