SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Lonnie Donegan cover. And the title is absolutely true.

I thought I'd bring a little Australian calypso from the 60's.

First there was a skiffle band called the Groop, They became an R&B pop band retaining the same name. This band morphed into a an Aussie super group called Axiom, which later combined with another group to form Mississippi. They perhaps didn't really like the Americanisation of their name and, when travelling to Geelong, not far from where I used to reside, they by-passed a town called Little River. The Little River Band was thus born.

This is a song fro the first incarnation of the Groop.

The tragic thing about that battle is that it should never have happened. The US and the UK had already signed a peace treaty to end the War of 1812, but the news didn't reach New Orleans in time :-(

Couldn't they just have sent them a TXT message to stop the fight????
Too busy playing video games on their smart phones I suppose.

I decided to start with Calypso. Paul will probably say that strictly, it isn't 'cos it was co-written by Harry Belafonte but back in the 50s everything with a Caribbean rhythm was called Calypso - over here at least. Anyway it's a great song and that's what really counts.

As a kid I loved Harry Belafonte. His songs opened up a whole new musical world.
I am surprised no one has done the banana boat song yet. His Calypso songs
were always so sharp and witty "she jump up in the air come down in slow motion"
that line always made me smile.

Nice that you used English scenery for this song... brought a touch of William Blake
"And did those feet in ancient time, Walk upon England's mountains green? "

Season 326. Submission 1. "Goodnight, Irene" (Words and music by Huddle Ledbetter and John A. Lomax, 1933)

This one has been recorded by Lonnie Donegan.

Thank you, Rob, for hosting and this great theme! :)

When I was a little girl, my mom and her mom used to sing this one to me before bed. I'm singing here for them this Mother's Day.

Now that was a complete and utter surprise with that staccato strum
juxtapositioned with the soft vocal delivery. Very original, and made an old
favourite sound completely new... a lullaby to sing a baby to sleep.
The Leadbelly original had much darker undertones.

Here's my wee bit for Lonnie, a rapid two chorder with some Involuntary dribbling in the last verse !! Lol

I must admit that song has always confused me, as to why the jack of diamond
should be so much harder to find than any other card. It goes against the laws of probability
Does that card have any special significance?

Google to the rescue: Jack of Diamonds - people know how to make connections and close the deal.
They have the ability to wheel and deal their way through life.

By the way i wish I could dribble so discretly... when I dribble more often than not it is not from the mouth.

This was in the skiffle list. Apparently I already know a lot of skiffle songs but was unaware of it. I hope the deacon approves. Four-part harmony in the chorus.

Nice production especially the barbershop quartet harmonies.
Singing harmonies takes a special skill. Some folks can just do it
without thinking and never hit a bum note. To do it for four voices
is a special acheivement. Does it come naturally to you or did you have
to learn how to do it?

Take her to Jamacia

I thought at first this was a Paoriginal and then I dug a little deeper and found that
it was done by the Specials and that led me on to a 1952 Mento version by Lord Messam.
which is just glorious.

Funny how a song pops up to you for the first time and then reappears soon after.
Todd b has done this one more than once but a terrific recent version brought it to my attention. I did it last season in a minor key.
Here it is again - major with a brief minor bit.

Don't know or care which island the yellow bird came from or whether this is the approved rhythm .......

OK since TCK tells us this is not a calypso song it should be OK to do it after my previous song which may have been a calypso or a mento song - my head hurts.....
I do know it's a song I've always liked.

This is a new departure for you Brian, putting together some chord
melodies. Nice done... are you improvising them on the spot or have
you been attending a course on how to do this kind of stuff.

It certainly adds another string to your bow and I think it would be
a useful skill to learn to throw in a little solo here and there to break
up a strumming pattern.

Lonnie Donegan cover. And the title is absolutely true.

True that!!! I believe that the Irish are the best lovers because they have the best music.
Being Scottish I once thought the Scots had the best music but then somebody pointed out
to me that when it comes to music the Irish are geniuses. They can play the Irish bagpipes
and drink a pint of guinness at the same time. You can't do that with the Scottish bagpipes.

I thought I'd bring a little Australian calypso from the 60's.

First there was a skiffle band called the Groop, They became an R&B pop band retaining the same name. This band morphed into a an Aussie super group called Axiom, which later combined with another group to form Mississippi. They perhaps didn't really like the Americanisation of their name and, when travelling to Geelong, not far from where I used to reside, they by-passed a town called Little River. The Little River Band was thus born.

This is a song fro the first incarnation of the Groop.

Nice bit of history Randy. That is a very infectious song. I was expecting more Double Entendres
but perhaps it was all done rather innocently, but I was a bit suspicious that he had his fruit on display.
You can get locked away for that you know :)

This is a new departure for you Brian, putting together some chord
melodies. Nice done... are you improvising them on the spot or have
you been attending a course on how to do this kind of stuff.

It certainly adds another string to your bow and I think it would be
a useful skill to learn to throw in a little solo here and there to break
up a strumming pattern.

I improvise them but rehearse through them til I'm happy to record - then I apply my one take rule - I played Yellow Bird a lot better before hitting the record button.

We already heard a fine instrumental fingerpicked version of House of the Rising Sun played by Allen Tate.
My version has a strummed uke as background and a tremoloed mando trying to sing the melody.

I'm glad Lonnie Donegan did this song, cause I used to love it when "Jumping" Bill Carlisle did it on the Grand Ole Opry. Had fun trying it.

Last edited:
We already heard a fine instrumental fingerpicked version of House of the Rising Sun played by Allen Tate.
My version has a strummed uke as background and a tremoloed mando trying to sing the melody.

Nice marriage between strumming and picking, and also a condensed history
of Mr Donegan himself He had a resurgence in his career very late in his life,
and featured a few times on Jools Holland Later show.

I'm glad Lonnie Donnegan did this song, cause I used to love it when "Jumping" Bill Carlisle did it on the Grand Ole Opry. Had fun trying it.

All right then I will then.
In the UK after the war it was all big bands and Glen Miller style music
When I heard that the next tune was by Victor Sylvestre, I turned the radio off.
When Lonnie came on the scene he was doing music that nobody had ever heard
of before. It was fresh and it was new. Little did we know that he was copying
Leadbelly and Big Bill Broonzy. So it was through Mr Donegan that white boys
got in touch with black music from the States... and from there we went back
to the source.

first saw Lonnie Donegan 60 years ago when he filled in the interval of the Chris Barber traditional jazz band with his skiffle group.For us teenagers these old American folk and blues songs were fresh and vibrant.

first saw Lonnie Donegan 60 years ago when he filled in the interval of the Chris Barber traditional jazz band with his skiffle group.For us teenagers these old American folk and blues songs were fresh and vibrant.

This song is a well loved folk song and has been sung by the Carter Family and Pete Seeger
and many others. Depending on who sings it the verses may change but the chorus always
remains the same. The Scottish singer Paolo Nutini has transformed the song by writing
lots of new verses and keeping the chorus. A good song can metamorphose into something
completely different and have a new meaning.

Every once in a while, a Season comes up that has a song I never thought I could do, but then I work and it comes through.

One question for our host - can I assume that when you say 'Calypso' you are including 'Soca'? (soul calypso from Trinidad) I have a deep and abiding love for David Rudder, so I'd like to try some of one of his numbers.

Top Bottom