SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Another Lonnie Donegan Skiffle.

What can I say... It looks like you are having fun with the new video editor
A little bit of Ken Burns some distressed transitions, pan and zoom,
and for an extra bit of flavour some old time movie scratches.
I am always on the lookout for the way people treat their videos post production.
It may not mean much to most folks but for someone who practices the techniques
the video experience gives a a subtle added interest to the music... and I think to
myself... I saw what you did just there. Superb as Krabbers would say

Thank you Rob. It is high pressure laminate by Bonanza Ukuleles. Trent has several in all HPL, all wood, and mixed (HPL sides and back, wood top), Rick has one I think, and now Pa has one, the red soprano he won a couple of seasons back. The strap is just an old guitar strap that used to belong to my grandmother. I’ll try to remember to do a Berni style close up of the uke next time I play it for a Seasons vid.

Trent bought mine! (an all-solid cherry)

Here is a skiffle song for you:

Here is a skiffle song for you:

Sweetly sung with the vocals as clear as crystal, and pitch perfect.
A firm favourite from the 60's with Peter Paul and Mary.
I have always wondered why they were asking Michael
to row the boat and not BillyBob.

Apparently Michael was a Psychopomp literally meaning the "guide of souls"
Their role is not to judge the deceased, but simply to provide safe passage.

I would not be too sure of safe passage if BillyBob was in charge of the oars.

Here's one that was on the Skiffle list by Claude King. Never heard this song before, but I like it. I need to listen to more Claude King, I always seem to like his material.

Can't beat a song with a good story. When I was listening to it
I somehow got the feeling that it could have been inspired by the
movie The magnificent Seven

There is something appealing about heroes fighting against great odds
be it at the Alamo or at The Battle of Thermopylae, and usually their
endeavors are doomed. History is littered with lost causes and the British
seemed to make it a habit... be it at the charge of the Light Brigade or
the last stand against the Zulus at Rorke's Drift.

Valour and stupidity often go hand in hand. Discretion is the better part of Valour.

Can't beat a song with a good story. When I was listening to it
I somehow got the feeling that it could have been inspired by the
movie The magnificent Seven

There is something appealing about heroes fighting against great odds
be it at the Alamo or at The Battle of Thermopylae, and usually their
endeavors are doomed. History is littered with lost causes and the British
seemed to make it a habit... be it at the charge of the Light Brigade or
the last stand against the Zulus at Rorke's Drift.

Valour and stupidity often go hand in hand. Discretion is the better part of Valour.

You're right, it could have been inspired by the Magnificent Seven. That movie came out in 1960, this song came out in 1961. I also think there was plenty of Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads influence.

I though I never heard of Calypso Rose before, untill I found this on youtube and remembered hearing it on the local Jazz radio a few month ago. It is probably not appropriate for me to record, but here it is.

Calypso Blues:

Since we're supposed to alternate between skiffle and calypso, here is another skiffle song. I'll try to get one more calypso done before the week is over. Playing the last part in E minor was a challenge for me.

I was looking back to the skiffle era in Australia, trying to find something that would be equivalent. Of course, Lonnie Donegan had plenty of songs out here, too, but we were bound to have some of his ilk. I found this one, which I remember well from my childhood.

I though I never heard of Calypso Rose before, untill I found this on youtube and remembered hearing it on the local Jazz radio a few month ago. It is probably not appropriate for me to record, but here it is.

Calypso Blues:

That was fantastic. Usually when seasonistas are playing I pay close
attention to either strumming or chord formations, to get an idea
if I could play the song myself. Well it looked like this was a one chord
song and I figure I could do that, but that strum was something else.
Even if I could achieve it... it would be impossible for to put vocals on top of it.
I recognise a very fine performance when I see it. I enjoyed it immensely, and
it was done in true calypso style in that it tackled social issues of wealth and values,
and what is important in life. I see that you mentioned it was done by Nat King Cole as well.
I also like the version by Spiritual South... it has a great beat.

Another hectic week, but I wanted to get a song in. This song was on the Skiffle list you provided a link to. Van Morrison was definitely influenced by the Skiffle movement in Europe. I had never heard this song before, but I wanted to do something different. Thanks for hosting this week Rob! Even though I haven't had a lot of time for recording, I did get some late night research in and learned a lot about both genres! Great Theme!

Since we're supposed to alternate between skiffle and calypso, here is another skiffle song. I'll try to get one more calypso done before the week is over. Playing the last part in E minor was a challenge for me.

A quote from the female philosopher Marilyn Monroe
Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.

Top Bottom