Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    Mighty Sparrow
    oh, if that isn't inspiration for a bird's eye view of a uke, i dunno what is!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbaroque View Post
    Robert Mitchum
    oh wow i love him! i didn't know he'd done this! listening now!
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

So glad somebody is bringing these genre's to light. Skiffle has such an amazing history - I don't know much about calypso but excited to hear and learn.
    If EVERYONE played the UKULELE, the WORLD would be a BETTER place! ~ Jake Shimabukuro

FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

I'm probably a wee bit early getting this one yin...but I am at work and tend to have a busy morning, then a run to the airport and yada yada yada. This is my favorite Lonnie Song and the very first skiffle song that I was introduced to.

If EVERYONE played the UKULELE, the WORLD would be a BETTER place! ~ Jake Shimabukuro

FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyUker View Post
    I'm probably a wee bit early getting this one yin...but I am at work and tend to have a busy morning, then a run to the airport and yada yada yada. This is my favorite Lonnie Song and the very first skiffle song that I was introduced to.
    Welcome to the party. You have the honour of being the first to be added to the SKIFFLE playlist.
    Great choice of song. Funnily enough my motto used to be (probably still is)
    Never let good taste stand in the way of style
    Everyone on SOTU has their own unique style and that is what makes the seasons
    such a rich experience.

Thank for setting the mood for the seasons I think both skiffle and Calypso are real feel good music
    and that is what we are aiming for this week. Thanks once again and I have updated the original post
    to include the link to the skiffle playlist. Check it out.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Default Calypso vs Mento

I blame Harry Belafonte. He called his 1956 breakout album, consisting almost entirely of songs in the Jamaican mento style, Calypso!. And Jamaican musicians very definitely know on which side their bread is buttered. So when the cruise ships in the 1950s & 60s disembarked on the North Shore and their passengers asked for some of those calypso songs like Harry Belafonte sings, the hotel house bands would just wink at each other and sang them what they wanted to hear.

Ironically, Robert Mitchum's "Calypso, is like so", released a year later, & which sadly failed to trouble the compilers of the Billboard Top 100, is genuine calypso, well received by Trini calypsonians, coming about because he fell in love with the music while filming 'Heaven knows, Mr Allison' on Trinidad's sister island, Tobago.

At any event, the 1,2&,- &4& (DDu uDu) rhythm of Jamaican mento got re-baptised as 'calypso', or generic 'island' strum.

But calypso is native to Trinidad, not Jamaica. And Trinidad is some 1100 miles to the south-east of Jamaica, with a very different history and culture; and until the 1920s (with the inauguration of the West Indies Cricket Board, 1927), there was virtually no contact of any kind between the two islands. In the actual, Trini, calypso rhythm, it's the 2nd beat of the bar that's dropped, not the 3rd: 1,-&3,4, (D, uD,D). Say to yourself 'Walk! The big dog. Walk! The big dog.' and you'll be pretty much on the Trini calypso beat.

In point of fact, Trinidadian calypso tends to use all 8 1/8th notes in a bar of 4/4, so that it goes DuDuDuDu (Walk up to the big-ger dog-gie), but the essence (the pulse) is that 'Walk! The big dog.' rhythm, I mentioned earlier.
    You can hear it to great effect in King Selewa's (a modern-day calypsonian, based in Marseilles of all places) cover of Lord Executor's (Philip Garcia's) 1937 calypso I don' know how the young men livin' - note though that this is an 'old-style' calypso in a minor key. Most 'modern' calypsos (say from Lord Kitchener onwards) are in a major key:

Read more about it here 'Calypso' strum - is it in fact a mento strum?'
    Last edited by redpaul1; 05-12-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Walk up to the big-ger dog-gie
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

And the week is off... Working as an expat here in SE Asia, by circle of friends is much like the Seasonistas. I got friends from all over the world working with me here in Yangon. Kiwis, Aussies, South Africans, Poles, Canadians, Irish and of course, the English. Here's a song about the last battle between the USA and Britain, as sung by Lonnie, the Battle of New Orleans.

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

A font of knowledge Paul and I hope this information swings people to get involved with the
    Mighty Lords Thanks for that. I had a fear that the skiffle would overshadow the calypso
    but you exposition might just have remedied that.

Thanks Rob, I'll try and bring something along later - at the moment I'm still gunning for It's Too Darn Hot! for Andy's Season
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

A Lonnie D. First time I heard it was today. But it's one of those songs I know I'd like playing as soon as I heard it. It reminds me of a cross between "Wayfaring Stranger" and "keep your lamp trimmed and burning".
    Some gratuitous harp included. Song in Dm harp in C - third position harp for those genteel harpists that walk amongst us.
    Lonesome Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Joko View Post
    And the week is off... Working as an expat here in SE Asia, by circle of friends is much like the Seasonistas. I got friends from all over the world working with me here in Yangon. Kiwis, Aussies, South Africans, Poles, Canadians, Irish and of course, the English. Here's a song about the last battle between the USA and Britain, as sung by Lonnie, the Battle of New Orleans.
    You naughty little revolutionary. King George would have you incarcerated in the tower for that song.
    You Americans don't fight fair. Hiding behind the bushes and taking pot shots at us. Who taught you
    those guerrilla tactics, that is just not cricket Sir. The marquis of Queensbury would be most displeased
    with your attitude towards fighting. Such sedition is not allowed in the Dorm. I am going to report you to matron.

Thread Information