Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Hello again, Rob! I thought "life" was going to get in the way of recording anything else this week, but found time to do this today. (And, no, I don't think I'm the "Calypso Queen" - it's the only one of Calypso Rose's songs to which I could find the chords!)
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyUker View Post
    Yep. I picked this one.
    I know the UK and America are separated by a common language, but it is my considered
    opinion, and in this regard you may find my comment rather pedantic, but I would humbly
    suggest that you strummed it rather than picked it. The strumming I may add, bordered on
    being pyrotechnic, and had the song continued for a few seconds more I feared that we might
    witness the first case of spontaneous combustion ever recorded on the Ukulele Underground.

Wait now I get it... OK!!! I'll be here all week and don't forget to tip the waitress
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    you strummed it rather than picked it.
    lol !!!!!!!!!
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Hello again, Rob! I thought "life" was going to get in the way of recording anything else this week, but found time to do this today. (And, no, I don't think I'm the "Calypso Queen" - it's the only one of Calypso Rose's songs to which I could find the chords!)
    Nice that you found the time to do A Calypso Rose song. That makes the third one now.
    It is amazing that the song only has two chords (Em and B7). When I first heard Calypso Queen
    I had that instant ear worm feeling, that I know this song from someplace else. I have even sung
    it quite recently. Do you ever get that feeling that the answer is right on the tip of your tongue
    and your brain goes flipping through some rolodex cards to find the answer, but it just won't come.
    Thinking and processing, then suddenly there is a break trough, and it is if a dam breaks and the
    thing you have been searching for just rushes out. It is a glorious feeling when it happens.
    Well I had that sort of epiphany while listening to your song. I made the connection. The song
    I was looking for was by C.W. Stoneking and called "Love me or die" Only thing is he uses Ebm and Bb7.
    I would love it if anybody would take up the challenge and do a cover of Love me or Die.
    Have a listen and see if you hear any similarities. I wonder who copied who :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    Here's a third from me. Another "Calypso" that's not really Calypso as it originated in Haiti. I've strummed to fit the words and rhythm of the tune rather than to a pattern to fit a specific style and it varies through the song. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
    We don't have banana trees here, so I've just used various British deciduous trees in my video. (some could even be imports - shock! horror!)
    That is the third version of yellow bird that we have now. Looks like it is going neck and neck
    with worried man blues for this weeks theme tune. Or perhaps there can be a theme tune
    for Skiffle and one for Calypso.

I think it is absolutely shocking that any country should engage in horticultural appropriation.
    The Irish should be ashamed of themselves for growing the potato since we all know it belongs
    in the Andes, and as for sweet corn well don't get me started on that one.

There should be local plants for local people... We will have no trouble here!!!

Here's another Lonnie. I added a uke break and a chimp.

Randy - Harry122

Quote Originally Posted by Harry122 View Post
    Here's another Lonnie. I added a uke break and a chimp.
    The Chimp has that "Elvis Lip". It is just a pity that it has a downward curl rather than
    an upward curl... otherwise he might have had a brilliant solo career. :-)

I can't prove it, but this may be the first time in recorded history Calypso has been performed on the "Finnish Ukulele"......

For my entry this week I decided to update a song I loved as a kid. It's a Lonnie Donegan classic adapted to fit the 21st Century.

So, for your delight and delectation here is a politically correct version of "My Old Man's a Dustman":

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    I see that even though are in in your serious singer mode with your delivery of this classic skiffle song
    you have also upped the anti by challenging BEV for bonus points on the bare knee competition.
    The exposure of your knee was discretely done and only for a fleeting moment. I appreciate how subtilely
    you accomplished that move, and it was in keeping with gravitas with which you sung the song.
    Lonnie would be proud. The Skiffle Kings however would be confused since their 500 miles is different.
    Well, thankfully I have the legs to pull it off, but my calves are my best feature. lol Jeez, I didn't realize I was doing a different "500 miles" song, I was lost huh? 500 miles away from this version at least!

Thread Information