How to create pdf songbooks

Ed:

When I started printing out my own uke charts, I used Windows "Paint" to make small fingering grid graphics for all the chords I knew at the time, including some "fake" versions of chords I couldn't really finger well. Then I created a document template in Word with all these graphics at the top so that I could just drag them to where they fit with the lyrics I would print below. If you want copies, I will see if there's a way I can send the whole set to you.

Please do not PM me, as I never check my inbox. Instead, I will subscribe to this thread and receive a notification when you reply to this post.

As far as I know, when you write a text in Word, there is immediately an auto-corrector. I write all my notes in it, and if I have mistakes, they stand out. I write everything from my phone. Maybe you should also try inserting text from your phone? It is possible that this way it will be even easier for you. Personally, I learn entirely through the phone. I don't attend lectures, but I need to have some knowledge to pass the exams. The only thing that saves me is a pdf textbook online, Word, and help from my groupmates.

Last edited:
Our uke club (Oakmont Ukesters, Santa Rosa, CA) keeps it's 300 or so PDF song library in Google Drive. Some of us have moved the collection to forScore on iPads. Figuring out the best way to accomplish the initial move has fallen to me-the designated techie. I have run into problems moving the files mostly because the total size of the move often seems to be too large for forScore to digest. I sometimes get error messages and have to break the files up into more digestible chunks. Sometime 25 songs will work; sometimes as few as 5 will work. I think I have found the reason for the balky, inconsistent transfer process.

When you delete files in forScore (ver.sion 21.1.3) they do not disappear immediately. They sit in a holding area, hogging memory, for seven days before they complete the trip to the trash bin. If you do not make an effort to finally delete these files before they self-destruct you may not have sufficient memory to allow a smooth transfer of large files (like a 250 PDF songbook). If you have figured out how a file transfer is supposed to work, and it doesn't, go to Backups in the Briefcase icon and see if there are a bunch of files in the Recently Deleted file. Put them into the trash and your transfer should succeed. This issue is not really addressed by forScore as most musicians, unlike some uke groups, do not deal with large PDF collections.

Paul Fishman
Santa Rosa, CA

Top Bottom