Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to create pdf songbooks

Quote Originally Posted by Edspyhill05 View Post
    I was logged out on my iPad and i lost a long reply. I’ll reply on my PC tomorrow. I hate anything Apple. Ed
    Too bad, after over 30 years of doing computer support, I much prefer Macs, iPhones and iPads than anything else. You get what you pay for, I learned that lesson when I wanted to save some money and went from iPad to Android to Windows 10, to finally come back to an iPad Pro, which in my experience runs circles around the rest.

When I need to combine several PDF files into one, I use a Windows freeware utility called PDFBinder. When somebody sends me a PDF and I need to incorporate it into a book I'm building in Word, I can import it into Word as an image. I have several programs that claim to edit PDF files, but it never seems to work smoothly and for a simple songsheet it's just not worth the effort.
    Two things here:
    Besides binding the individual PDF's to one, you will preferably want a software that allows you to add a heading to the book. E. G. : "My songbook - Ukulele summer festival - page x/y."
    I don't know is any freeware can do that, but it is good to have.

Second, if you import a PDF into a Word document as an image, it is likely to look less good than it could. If the PDF is made with vector base graphics it looks really sharp. When imported into Word as an image, it will probably be resized to smaller than intended, which looks bad, and will probably be rastered into a pixel based format, which had a finite resolution and is hence not as sharp. It will also take up more storage than the PDF. It will probably look somewhat decent still, but when you convert you Word file to a new PDF, you have to be very careful with the image conversion of the PDF printer. For the results it is crucial that the image is embedded as a png image in the final PDF, not a jpg image. Most PDF printers convert every image to jpg when making the PDF, and not All allows you to change that setting.
    Jpg is great for photos, but for graphics, including notation, chord diagrams etc, it is horribad. It will make small grey specs in the white areas, which looks grainy and unproffessional.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 05-14-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Sorry, I do not have time tonight to read this entire thread, so I do not know if anyone else may have already made this comment.

When converting from a Word doc to a pdf, the formatting of your page can sometimes mysteriously change. For example, if you set up your Word doc so that the chord names or diagrams are right above the lyrics where the chord changes should occur, you may convert to pdf and find that the chord names/diagrams have shifted. Given that you said you don't have a huge amount of computer knowledge, understanding why this happens might be a little more than you want to take on right now. And trying to fix it might make you want to smash your ukulele over someone's head and never write another chord chart in your life! So all I'm going to say is, be careful and be sure to proof every song sheet before you commit it to your book.

And this entire thread reminds me to say this: if you have someone in your local group, or an online presence (e.g. Peter Mack) who is taking the time to make song sheets and you use them—at the very least send them a thank-you note (virtual or otherwise) for their work; and perhaps consider sending them a gift (PayPal, Starbucks card, etc.). Not that you have to—but kind words and the occasional thoughtful gesture can fill someone’s internal “tank” and spur them on to continue doing their work—or even to try new things.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Quote Originally Posted by Edspyhill05 View Post
    I was logged out on my iPad and i lost a long reply. I’ll reply on my PC tomorrow. I hate anything Apple.

Ed
    I agree. If you're using a PC, download Apache Office which is open source freeware that was originally developed on Sun Micro System's UNIX platform. Also download their plug ins. This software is free. Write your songbook in their word processor and export it to a PDF. It's that simple and won't cost you a single red cent. I was a Samsung Galaxy Android fan that switched to an iPhone SE on a friend's recommendation. Apple throttled my SE a week and a half ago with their software upgrade and I'm back to Android 100%. My new Android LG G6 puts Apple to rest. Ric

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
    I agree. If you're using a PC, download Apache Office which is open source freeware that was originally developed on Sun Micro System's UNIX platform. Also download their plug ins. This software is free. Write your songbook in their word processor and export it to a PDF. It's that simple and won't cost you a single red cent. I was a Samsung Galaxy Android fan that switched to an iPhone SE on a friend's recommendation. Apple throttled my SE a week and a half ago with their software upgrade and I'm back to Android 100%. My new Android LG G6 puts Apple to rest. Ric
    If OP allready has MS Word installed, there is no need to install Apache Open Office. I remember ten years ago, when MS Word was behind on the export to PDF front, so Open Office had an advantage. Now Word has that feature, and if you are used to Word it is easier to use. I have Word on my work Pc, Apache Open Office on my home Pc. Both will do the job.
    I also installed LibreOffice, which should be the New big Thing, but I tend to use Open Office out of habit when at home. I prefer MS Word, but I write so little at home that it is not worth the hefty price tag.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 05-14-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Also, try selecting print in whatever program and then click “print to PDF.” Makes a pdf.
    Pre-UAS: “1 uku is all I need.” Early-on-set UAS: “1 of each size is necessary.” Chronic UAS: Constant trolling of ukulele marketplaces, increasing number of “necessary” ukuleles as collection grows. Full blown UAS: Coworkers believe you have a problem, individual considers divorce over parting with any ukuleles, individual seriously considers dipping into retirement account to see what those Moore Bettahs and Beau Hannams are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Too bad, after over 30 years of doing computer support, I much prefer Macs, iPhones and iPads than anything else. You get what you pay for, I learned that lesson when I wanted to save some money and went from iPad to Android to Windows 10, to finally come back to an iPad Pro, which in my experience runs circles around the rest.
    If you started with Apple devices then they make sense. I find that a lot of the interface was customized for a left handed Steve Jobs. I also find that the limited interaction with third party software is primitive. My iPad iOS just does strange things like logging me off forums, not fully integrating with password manager apps, thge OS defaults to Safari. Apple products and iOS are developed to create income streams.

To me Windows and Android are much easier to use, and much more user friendly. But I was a Unix Admin, A database admin for Oracle, Sybase and Ingres, was a Sendmail tech/engineer, and used Windows, i wasn't wowed by the iOS. The Apple support people I worked with were so precious, and the rest of us were so uninformed about REAL computers. :-)

To decrease frustration, I have started to use my iPad as a tablet and limit Internet access.

Ed
    Last edited by Edspyhill05; 05-15-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    Pono MT solid mahogany tenor.
    Pono MBD solid mahogany Baritone Ukulele
    Córdoba 23T Tenor Ukulele
    Kala UBass SSMHG-FS, Solid Spruce top
    Old Kingston Baritone ukulele from the mid-1960’s. Using it as a test instrument.
    Cheap Savannah baritone being converted to resonator.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    And this entire thread reminds me to say this: if you have someone in your local group, or an online presence (e.g. Peter Mack) who is taking the time to make song sheets and you use them—at the very least send them a thank-you note (virtual or otherwise) for their work; and perhaps consider sending them a gift (PayPal, Starbucks card, etc.). Not that you have to—but kind words and the occasional thoughtful gesture can fill someone’s internal “tank” and spur them on to continue doing their work—or even to try new things.
    I agree. We all have to eat and pay rent and buy gas.

Ed
    Old Kingston Baritone ukulele from the mid-1960’s. Using it as a test instrument.

UkingViking, Choirguy, kohanmike, Jerryc41, acmespaceship, UkerDanno, Papa Tom, ricdoug, Martinlover,

Thank you all for the generous responses and advice. I really appreciate the input.

I don't plan to publish copyrighted music. My main focus is to take most of the fake sheets and modify chord fingering and inversions for my own playing. I use a lot of triads so as not to stress my left hand thumb arthritis. I stil use partial barres, which speed up chord switching, but triads sometimes sound better.

From reading all the replies I think I will use MS Word, or some free version to create the song sheets. I need a library of ukulele chord grids to cut and paste, and a way to create my own chord shapes.

Right now I print out each song and use rubber stamps of small chord grids to create special chord sequences to smooth out chord changing in time with a song.

The Windows print has two selections to print to a PDF file. I think at least one PDF print option I added. I have EPubsoft's ToolBox which does conversions from/to various formats. It's best use is converting Kindle books to PDF or EPub - invaluable.

I did try converting a PDF file to Word and It did not come out useable. I imagine if they were my original Word docs converted to PDF I could convert back to Word.

I really put the cart before the horse with this idea. First I need to Word to create song sheets, using a library of ukulele chord grids. Once I perfect that step, then I'll go to the PDF stage.

Thank you all,

Ed

Thread Information