Ken Timms Soprano on eBay now!

Bales1983

Reaction score
Last edited:
I'm going to let someone else have this. : )

Most unusually (for these Ukes) this one has not sold at the BIN price and is currently at £70 more than the start price. I wonder if there’s some change in the market or whether someone might get a bargain here. I can’t see them ever returning to the price that they were a couple of years back, but I’m one of the many that would ‘push the boat out’ if they did.

Wow, I wish I had the bread for this Barry Maz says these are the best Martin copy soprano ukes made today.

Most unusually (for these Ukes) this one has not sold at the BIN price and is currently at £70 more than the start price. I wonder if there’s some change in the market or whether someone might get a bargain here. I can’t see them ever returning to the price that they were a couple of years back, but I’m one of the many that would ‘push the boat out’ if they did.

Being a bit of an eBay addict ive seen this happen on many things not just Ukes, Unfortunately as soon as a bid is placed the BIN option is removed. Most often seems to be people just chancing it to see if they can get it at a cheaper price but i wouldn't be surprised if the bidding goes over the BIN price anyway.

Would probably be better if eBay kept the BIN price until bidding exceeded it really!

Lee

Wow, I wish I had the bread for this Barry Maz says these are the best Martin copy soprano ukes made today.

When Barry did the review in November, 2017, the price was holding steady at under $500. Now it looks like it will be going over $600. When I see what else is available in that price range, a Timms uke is not in my future. But ebay is totally supply and demand. If someone with a lot of cash is
determined to have it, he'll pay whatever it takes.

That's why I prefer entering the Cocobolo lottery on Facebook. There is one price for everyone.

I've been a bit startled at the amounts of the two most recent offerings. I had a figure in mind as a maximum bid and I wasn't successful until the fourth attempt. The successful bid was less than the maximum I had set for myself so it can pay to keep watching.

I’ve had one. I got it for £335. After Baz’s review the prices shot up. I am happy with my Wunderkammer. Similar idea but more versatile imo.

Good luck tho. Apart from the softer wood it’s the second best ukulele I’ve ever played. :)

I’ve had one. I got it for £335. After Baz’s review the prices shot up. I am happy with my Wunderkammer. Similar idea but more versatile imo.

Good luck tho. Apart from the softer wood it’s the second best ukulele I’ve ever played. :)

Softer wood? I thought that they were both made of Mahogany, is that incorrect or are there other factors?

At the time of Baz’s review I got a lot of flack for suggesting that it might cause an imbalance in supply and demand, it seems like I was correct though as prices did rocket. I can remember when these Ukes sold for under £300, perhaps I should have grabbed one then but I didn’t have the knowledge to understand what was on offer and more than £200 is (IMHO) a lot of money for a newbie to spend on a Uke.

At the time of writing the Uke in the current auction is still sitting at £470, but the auction has 21 hours to go and in that time the price could go ‘through the roof’ or stay the same. You never quite know what will happen on eBay.

I can’t see Mr T’s Ukes returning to the old prices, and whilst the rise was good for him and existing owners it’s not so nice for potential buyers - winners and losers in everything.

Last edited:
Softer wood? I thought that they were both made of Mahogany, is that incorrect or are there other factors?

At the time of Baz’s review I got a lot of flack for suggesting that it might cause an imbalance in supply and demand, it seems like I was correct though as prices did rocket. I can remember when these Ukes sold for under £300, perhaps I should have grabbed one then but I didn’t have the knowledge to understand what was on offer and more than £200 is (IMHO) a lot of money for a newbie to spend on a Uke.

At the time of writing the Uke in the current auction is still sitting at £470, but the auction has 21 hours to go and in that time the price could go ‘through the roof’ or stay the same. You never quite know what will happen on eBay.

I can’t see Mr T’s Ukes returning to the old prices, and whilst the rise was good for him and existing owners it’s not so nice for potential buyers - winners and losers in everything.

Easily dented. I had an Uluru that was the same way. Like accidental fingernail indents are possible. I considered it a bit more fragile thus I kept it in its case. This may vary by wood stock. My Wunderkammer is out all the time. It has fell over (kids) but it is immaculate. I’ll state again the Wunderkammer is the better sound, for me anyway.

Last edited:
Wow! I can't believe someone bid that high. That's over $800. As I think I said above, if someone is determined to get it, and he has the money, he'll get it. Value is irrelevant. Ken must be thrilled by this trend.

Wow! I can't believe someone bid that high. That's over $800. As I think I said above, if someone is determined to get it, and he has the money, he'll get it. Value is irrelevant. Ken must be thrilled by this trend.

I'll bet he is. Sadly this means I'll never own one of these lovely instruments.

I got outbid on that Timms soprano but scored one this morning for the BIN price shortly after it went up on eBay. It is scheduled to arrive on 5/24. Very excited! I tried a Kiwaya from the Ukulele Site last year, but ended up returning it. No such option with this one, but I am sure it is a keeper!

I got outbid on that Timms soprano but scored one this morning for the BIN price shortly after it went up on eBay. It is scheduled to arrive on 5/24. Very excited! I tried a Kiwaya from the Ukulele Site last year, but ended up returning it. No such option with this one, but I am sure it is a keeper!

So you got it. Congratulations! When I saw the post above saying another was available, I went looking for it, but it was already gone! :)

Congratulations! Which side of the Atlantic are you on?

Thanks! I am across the pond from the UK, on the west coast of the US, near San Francisco. Amazingly, the new uke is scheduled to arrive via UPS on Thursday. For $30 USD, that is a nice shipping rate!

I have been eyeing these little gems on eBay for awhile. I reached out via eBay to Ken late last year, and he did respond, saying he was shutting down production for the winter. I was a bit disappointed on missing out on the last one, so I was hell bent on getting this one, even though I paid the Buy it Now price. I have a couple of Blackbird Farallons, one strung low G and one reentrant... so spending about $800 for a quality uke is a bargain to me. The Blackbirds are a wee bit more! One thing the Blackbirds do not provide is that punchy, old-timey tone. The Timms Style 0 does, and should fill that void for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom