Sound engineer ?

frigiliana

Reaction score
Hi , i've been thrown in the deep end, our usual sound guy can't set up our next gig and although i've helped him set up many times i've left it to him to connect everything .

I'm pretty sure i can manage the Mic's and ukulele's and set the levels, but the active monitors are something i have no idea where to start.

I think he uses the Aux1 out , what controls on the desk should i be looking for to set volume and monitor mixes , i appreciate this could be a very involved question and the answers might be beyond my expertise but it all might just click with me if i have a basic idea what to look for.

These are the monitors we use https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/active-full-range-speakers/behringer-eurolive-b205d-active-speaker

Regards Dave

It owuld probably help if you posted some photos of the mixing board you are using. Letting us know what the monitors are is fine, but what is feeding them is the information you really need to provide.

And the model number of the equipment like the mixer would also be helpful.

Hi unfortunately we've had to split the equipment into two vehicles i've got the mic stands cables and microphones my colleague has the mixing desk and PA equipment , not to worry thanks for taking an interest in my plight , if it's any help it's the size of a table way bigger than we need i think we inherited from somebody who was up-grading ,this is a photo i found on the net which from memory looks similar .Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 08.27.37.jpg

Regards Dave

Hi unfortunately we've had to split the equipment into two vehicles i've got the mic stands cables and microphones my colleague has the mixing desk and PA equipment , not to worry thanks for taking an interest in my plight , if it's any help it's the size of a table way bigger than we need i think we inherited from somebody who was up-grading ,this is a photo i found on the net which from memory looks similar .View attachment 108985

Regards Dave

That photo is very similar to hundred of different brands of PA mixers out there.

However, the general principle is that you would have your 'stage' mix for the PA speakers, and then 'assign' certain channels to a 'sub mix' for monitors, and then on the mixer, you use the MAIN outs to feed your amp or speakers, and then the SUB MIX or MON MIX out to feed your stage monitors.

This lets the person running the board control discrete/independent volume levels of what the audience hears vs. what the performers hear.

How you 'route' channels to the 'sub mix' or 'sub mix group' for monitors varies from one mixer to another depending upon the fader set up and buttons on the individual channel strips, but the function/application is the same.

if you can get the make and model # of the unit your group has, we can likely find/download the PDF manual and see exactly how yours works and then you can have clear instructions on what to do for setting this up.

If I had the board in front of me, I could usually figure it out in a few minutes.

In lieu of that, if you can share/link-to a much larger close-up photo of both the TOP view (like you shared) as well as the connection panel on the back, I may be able to recommend the steps needed.

Thanks Booli but i think i've left it too late as the gig is tomorrow ,it all happened so fast our sound man's daughter had a baby 4 weeks early so he dashed of to the other end of the country to be with her . I will find out the model for future reference though and get back to you . Big thank you for all the replies though .

Thanks ricdoug , sorry i didn't update my post sooner . I did take a photo of the mixing desk but the week after my first post it broke down and has bee at the engineers for repair but they can't find the problem it intermittently shuts down we all thought it was the heat as it's been unusually hot here in the UK (they didn't blame me) here's the photo i tookIMG_8309.jpg

I should explain why my signature has changed , we've had some privacy issues with new laws in EU , as such i couldn't access Ukulele Underground forum just wouldn't let me in , so i've had to open a new account , so now a bit like Prince i'm Django57 formerly Frigiliana .

Last edited:
Top Bottom