Laminate Soprano Islander or what ???

Graham Greenbag

Reaction score
A friend from the USA will be visiting the U.K. later in the year, he is willing to the purchase and bring me a Ukulele. The bulk of instruments that I might like to purchase are available in the U.K., though import costs and local taxes push the price up - and sometimes folk seem to take extra profits too. However a few that I’m really interested in aren’t available here at all, or are either very difficult to get hold of or are greatly overpriced. My budget is about $120, and I don’t play well enough to warrant spending much more than that - it’s amazing too what you can get out of a cheap but we’ll set-up Uke.

The Islander Laminate Sopranos come in Mahogany (MS-4, $98) and Acacia (AS-4, $118). Does anyone have much of a view as to whether (and if so why) it’s worth spending the extra $20 on the Acacia model. Does anyone have a view on buying either of them? The primary attraction of the Islanders to me is their wide nut and reputation.

In Concert Ukes I like the greater compactness of the twelve (rather than fourteen) fret to neck models and wondered about a couple (listed below). With the short neck they are only a little bigger than a Soprano and the extra string length does make a useful difference to sound and finger space.

Oscar Schmidt do a Pineapple Concert Uke, their OU2P, and I can get one for under $80 in the USA but not at all in the U.K. I’m not attracted to the figure eight shaped OU2 but like the Pineapple shape, are they any good?

Gretsch Ukes are available in the U.K. but at, what I think is, a very heavy premium. I wondered about their G9110 Laminate Concert body and scale Uke - $119 including a Gretsch bag - does anyone have any views on it?

Finally, ‘cause the price is right and folk like them, I have found some ‘as new’ Kala KA-SEM’s for $68. Soprano’s are compact, I can fit a new nut to space the strings out and I believe that they’re really nice sounding Ukes - especially with some Worth Browns on them. It could be a very pleasing saving over the new U.K. price, but maybe I’m just being mean and shouldn’t be troubling my friend with this purchase.

As I said earlier my budget is about $120. I like widely spaced strings, compact Ukes and the Pineapple shape (for its more mellow sound). I hate bling and fancy paint jobs, and I don’t like anything sounding overly ‘bright’ I’m primarily looking for what’s not readily available in the U.K. or is well over priced here. All prices above include delivery within the lower 48 states.

What do people think or suggest?

Last edited:
I'm not a lover of sopranos, but I did have some Kalas, a KA-S & KA-SEME, & a Makala pineapple, all good ukes - of the three I would have kept the KA-SEME if I would have played soprano.

Maybe think about a Flea, they seem to cost a lot over here.

I do like sopranos. Expensive sopranos, usually. At one point I ordered an Islander and found it roughly made and unimpressive. I sent it back. I think Kala or Ohana are better. I have a $40 Kmise laminate that arrived set up perfectly, with all accessories, and it sounds great. I'd recommend it, but I suspect that, understandably, you'd like something that conveys more cachet and status. But you might want to slip one in with your order and see what you think. Then again, they may be just as cheap there.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ukulele-So...6412129&sr=8-2&keywords=Kmise+soprano+ukulele

I second Keith's Flea suggestion. A bit above your price range but they are rather pricey over here. I'm sure Booli can confirm but I seem to remember reading that they have a wider nut as well?

Thank you for the responses so far.

@ Croaky Keith and Pirate Jim. I had thought about a Flea but at at least $180 they are well above my budget. They do have wide spaced strings but when I tried one out I found that other parts of their design don’t work well enough for me. My experience with Kala’s has all been good. The Soprano size is relatively compact and that has proved very helpful in a room crowded with other Uke players, the short scale works well with my short fingers too.

@Ziret. I had a similar experience with one of their Concerts and should have sent it back, however I sorted out the issues and it’s an OK player now - but I will always resent having to do that work ....... don’t ask what I think of the supplying dealer’s QA and sales promises.

I hadn’t thought of a Kmise. Cachet and status have little to no place in my life so if a Uke sounds OK, and works with my short thick fingers, then I’ll likely play it regardless of who makes it. As I recall Ohana Ukes have a narrow (34mm) nut and so don’t have wide spaced strings, for me wide spaced is essential.

Last edited:
I use an Islander laminate as a beach Uke.
It is a tenor and a real bargain at 125.

Have you thought about the Outdoor Ukulele, Graham?

I own the Islander Acacia AS-4 soprano. Mine arrived well set up from Uke Republic, and I have no complaints about the build quality for the $118 I spent on it. It's my camping uke & suits that purpose very well. I am definitely most comfortable on concert scale, but the Islander is one soprano I can play without issues. I changed the stock Aquilla strings to Worth Clears. I have noticed that HMS has started selling the Islander Acacia ukes in all sizes on their website, so they must be happy with the build quality.

I'm a novice player. I own an Islander Acacia AS-4 soprano, too. I loved it when I first got it (from Uke Republic). It felt so lively and comfortable to me, as well as sounding and looking great. I was convinced the wide nut and shallow neck were big reasons for my joy, so I bought an Islander mahogany-laminate in the concert size.

For reasons I haven't figured out yet, I don't love the concert. It had several rough edges on the body when it arrived. I guess that should not have surprised me, given the price; but the acacia soprano was perfect so my expectations were high. Perhaps too high for this price range.

My ear is not well developed, but I'm sure the concert sounds fine. Especially if someone else is playing it. :) There seems to be no real reason for my not liking it, but for some unknown reason, I don't.

I struggle mightily against the desire to find the perfect uke; or several perfect ukes. If I would just practice more I'm sure this uke would sound a lot better; and then, maybe, I would love it like I want to.

Funny how these things work.

I think Islander must be a brand you really should get from one of the specialty dealers. The one I had that was rough was a concert, too, Junie, and probably mahogany, as that's what I was looking for at the time. Maybe their QC for that line was not good at the time.

If you are looking for one that's wide at the nut, Graham, I'll measure that Kmise when is returns from a friend this weekend. I have a hunch it's the usual, though.

This is from the HMS website regrading the Islander Acacia models they are now selling...... "The newest Islanders have taken a big step up in consistency and quality."

If you are looking for a budget soprano with a 1.5 inch nut, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Buy from Uke Republic or HMS to get a quality set-up.

This is from the HMS website regrading the Islander Acacia models they are now selling...... "The newest Islanders have taken a big step up in consistency and quality."

If you are looking for a budget soprano with a 1.5 inch nut, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Buy from Uke Republic or HMS to get a quality set-up.

Thanks, I wonder where you got yours from, please.

As I view their site Uke Republic doesn’t stock the AS-4. HMS does list the AS-4 (https://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-acacia-soprano-ukulele-as-4.html) but, unless I’m mistaken, the item shown is the MS-4 - I find that concerning.

Thank you also to the other members who have supported this thread. The idea of a Flea really did make me think about my budget and what I wanted to achieve. I looked at some Flea prices, reviews and videos, and then I thought about my experiences when I briefly played a friends. Overall I don’t think they’re what I’m looking for just now but am sure that they are ideal for many other people. The Outdoor Uke has many strengths, however they’re in areas that I’m not currently focussing on; thanks for the suggestion though. The Kmise brand is something I will look at soon, but I doubt that they come with wide nuts.

So far the the AS-4 appears to be my best bet, but there’s plenty of time for that to change. No one has mentioned anything about the two concert Ukes (Gretsch, G9110 and Oscar Schmidt, OU2P) and only little comment on the KA-SEM. Please add a word on them if you have owned or played one.

My thanks again to all that have contributed so far.

Last edited:
I bought mine from Uke Republic. Both HMS and Uke Republic have the AS-4 listed for sale on their websites. I bought mine last year. I noticed the Islander Acacia laminates on HMS in the last few months.

In looking at the pictures & descriptions of the AS-4 on HMS and Uke Republic, I do notice a difference. The AS-4 on Uke Republic looks the same as mine with 14 frets to the body. The AS-4 on HMS and also on Pennylane Emporium ( another dealer that carries a lot of Islander & Kanilea ukes) has only 12 frets to the body. Perhaps a recent change in design??? I like having 14 frets to the body.

Last edited:
There’s the possibility of some confusion here, well I feel at risk of it, so I’ve gone back to looked at a few web sites.

Islander list their AS-4 and MS-4 here: http://www.islanderukulele.com/Custom/ShopCategory?id=4 .
The MS-4 has 12 frets to the body and a list price of $119, the AS-4 has 14 frets to the body and a list of $139. As far as I know, from reading posts here on UU, the AS has always had 14 frets to the body. Both Ukes on the Islander web site have a similar body colour, though I’d have thought the Acacia would be lighter than the Mahogany.

Hawaii Music supply list the AS-4 here: https://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-acacia-soprano-ukulele-as-4.html .
However the picture that they show is of a 12 frets to body Uke so that raises some questions in my mind - has someone made a mistake and shown the MS-4 instead or was their a design change some years back. The price there is $118.

The Uke Republic Website gave me some difficulty yesterday (sorry) but today I found a different way through its listings. The AS-4, with 14 frets to body, is here at roughly $119 :http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/islander-as-4-acacia-soprano-ukulele-w-padded-uke-bag . The AS-4 listing includes an optional bag at an additional cost (Edit. An extra $21). The MS-4 doesn’t appear, to me, to be listed on the Uke Republic site.

Penny Lane Emporium list the AS-4 at $118 but the picture shows a 12 fret to body Uke that looks like the MS-4, see here: https://pennylaneemporium.com/products/ukuleles/islander-by-kanilea-as-4-acacia-soprano-ukulele/ . They also list the MS-4 at $98 here: https://pennylaneemporium.com/products/ukuleles/islander-by-kanilea-ms-4-mahogany-soprano-ukulele/ .

I’m still open to other suggestions but at the moment my inclination is to go with the AS-4; lots of respected folk here on UU like the AS-4’s. Uke Republic look like a well recommended supplier. I seem to recall someone saying that Martin M600’s work well on the AS-4’s so I’ll be getting a couple of packets of them in too - though, again, I’m open to alternative suggestions.

Last edited:
What a lot of misinformation to wade through on these sites. It sounds like you've made an informed decision, and with a good vendor, will end up with a well set-up uke. Now all that's left is the waiting. Let us know what you think when you get it.

What a lot of misinformation to wade through on these sites. It sounds like you've made an informed decision, and with a good vendor, will end up with a well set-up uke. Now all that's left is the waiting. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Thanks. My friend doesn’t visit the U.K. until later this year, so I’ll have to be patient and wait just a few months before getting any new purchase in my hands. However, on the plus side, that does mean that I don’t need to place my order soon and can review my anticipated choice if a better option appears. I’m always open to hearing good ideas.

Last edited:
Don't spend the extra money for the gig bag listed on Uke Republic. It's very flimsy & not worth the extra money. The uke itself from Uke Republic was well set up, and I was pleased with it for the $118 spent. Here is a recent picture of my AS-4 Islander, next to my new Imua soprano. The Imua is also 14 frets to the body, but a more petite soprano in overall body size. The Islander did not come with the Honu Turtle on the headstock or the third fret marker.....I added that.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Don't spend the extra money for the gig bag listed on Uke Republic. It's very flimsy & not worth the extra money. The uke itself from Uke Republic was well set up, and I was pleased with it for the $118 spent. Here is a recent picture of my AS-4 Islander, next to my new Imua soprano. The Imua is also 14 frets to the body, but a more petite soprano in overall body size. The Islander did not come with the Honu Turtle on the headstock or the third fret marker.....I added that.

Thank you for the picture and the case comments, I found them very helpful. I already have a decent gig bag so if it is practical then I’d prefer not to purchase another with the Uke. However I now wonder whether my friend would prefer it to be bagged. Perhaps I should consider one and so it would be helpful to know the brand name (if it had one) of the disappointing item. The Kaces brand bags are available at UR for $22, but I have no experience of them.

Last edited:
If they still carry the Fremont Steady case, and the price isn't out of reach, it's a very nice, and protective, soprano gig bag. You can fit an iPad in the front pocket, which makes it great for taking out and is all but unheard of in a soprano case. More than a gig bag, and a bit less than a hard case.

I use an Islander laminate as a beach Uke.
It is a tenor and a real bargain at 125.
I have the AT-4 [laminate acacia tenor] The laminate has a really nice koa-like grain and the uke sounds and plays like a much more expensive instrument. It is really plain though so I added a soundlole ring [sticker] . I don't know about their sopranos though.

Top Bottom