Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laminate Soprano Islander or what ???

This is from the HMS website regrading the Islander Acacia models they are now selling...... "The newest Islanders have taken a big step up in consistency and quality."

If you are looking for a budget soprano with a 1.5 inch nut, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Buy from Uke Republic or HMS to get a quality set-up.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    This is from the HMS website regrading the Islander Acacia models they are now selling...... "The newest Islanders have taken a big step up in consistency and quality."

If you are looking for a budget soprano with a 1.5 inch nut, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Buy from Uke Republic or HMS to get a quality set-up.
    Thanks, I wonder where you got yours from, please.

As I view their site Uke Republic doesn’t stock the AS-4. HMS does list the AS-4 (https://www.theukulelesite.com/islan...lele-as-4.html) but, unless I’m mistaken, the item shown is the MS-4 - I find that concerning.

Thank you also to the other members who have supported this thread. The idea of a Flea really did make me think about my budget and what I wanted to achieve. I looked at some Flea prices, reviews and videos, and then I thought about my experiences when I briefly played a friends. Overall I don’t think they’re what I’m looking for just now but am sure that they are ideal for many other people. The Outdoor Uke has many strengths, however they’re in areas that I’m not currently focussing on; thanks for the suggestion though. The Kmise brand is something I will look at soon, but I doubt that they come with wide nuts.

So far the the AS-4 appears to be my best bet, but there’s plenty of time for that to change. No one has mentioned anything about the two concert Ukes (Gretsch, G9110 and Oscar Schmidt, OU2P) and only little comment on the KA-SEM. Please add a word on them if you have owned or played one.

My thanks again to all that have contributed so far.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-16-2018 at 10:38 AM.

I bought mine from Uke Republic. Both HMS and Uke Republic have the AS-4 listed for sale on their websites. I bought mine last year. I noticed the Islander Acacia laminates on HMS in the last few months.

In looking at the pictures & descriptions of the AS-4 on HMS and Uke Republic, I do notice a difference. The AS-4 on Uke Republic looks the same as mine with 14 frets to the body. The AS-4 on HMS and also on Pennylane Emporium ( another dealer that carries a lot of Islander & Kanilea ukes) has only 12 frets to the body. Perhaps a recent change in design??? I like having 14 frets to the body.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 05-16-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano

There’s the possibility of some confusion here, well I feel at risk of it, so I’ve gone back to looked at a few web sites.

Islander list their AS-4 and MS-4 here: http://www.islanderukulele.com/Custom/ShopCategory?id=4 .
    The MS-4 has 12 frets to the body and a list price of $119, the AS-4 has 14 frets to the body and a list of $139. As far as I know, from reading posts here on UU, the AS has always had 14 frets to the body. Both Ukes on the Islander web site have a similar body colour, though I’d have thought the Acacia would be lighter than the Mahogany.

Hawaii Music supply list the AS-4 here: https://www.theukulelesite.com/islan...lele-as-4.html .
    However the picture that they show is of a 12 frets to body Uke so that raises some questions in my mind - has someone made a mistake and shown the MS-4 instead or was their a design change some years back. The price there is $118.

The Uke Republic Website gave me some difficulty yesterday (sorry) but today I found a different way through its listings. The AS-4, with 14 frets to body, is here at roughly $119 :http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...padded-uke-bag . The AS-4 listing includes an optional bag at an additional cost (Edit. An extra $21). The MS-4 doesn’t appear, to me, to be listed on the Uke Republic site.

Penny Lane Emporium list the AS-4 at $118 but the picture shows a 12 fret to body Uke that looks like the MS-4, see here: https://pennylaneemporium.com/produc...prano-ukulele/ . They also list the MS-4 at $98 here: https://pennylaneemporium.com/produc...prano-ukulele/ .

I’m still open to other suggestions but at the moment my inclination is to go with the AS-4; lots of respected folk here on UU like the AS-4’s. Uke Republic look like a well recommended supplier. I seem to recall someone saying that Martin M600’s work well on the AS-4’s so I’ll be getting a couple of packets of them in too - though, again, I’m open to alternative suggestions.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-18-2018 at 11:35 AM.

What a lot of misinformation to wade through on these sites. It sounds like you've made an informed decision, and with a good vendor, will end up with a well set-up uke. Now all that's left is the waiting. Let us know what you think when you get it.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    What a lot of misinformation to wade through on these sites. It sounds like you've made an informed decision, and with a good vendor, will end up with a well set-up uke. Now all that's left is the waiting. Let us know what you think when you get it.
    Thanks. My friend doesn’t visit the U.K. until later this year, so I’ll have to be patient and wait just a few months before getting any new purchase in my hands. However, on the plus side, that does mean that I don’t need to place my order soon and can review my anticipated choice if a better option appears. I’m always open to hearing good ideas.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-17-2018 at 05:01 AM.

Don't spend the extra money for the gig bag listed on Uke Republic. It's very flimsy & not worth the extra money. The uke itself from Uke Republic was well set up, and I was pleased with it for the $118 spent. Here is a recent picture of my AS-4 Islander, next to my new Imua soprano. The Imua is also 14 frets to the body, but a more petite soprano in overall body size. The Islander did not come with the Honu Turtle on the headstock or the third fret marker.....I added that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 05-17-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Don't spend the extra money for the gig bag listed on Uke Republic. It's very flimsy & not worth the extra money. The uke itself from Uke Republic was well set up, and I was pleased with it for the $118 spent. Here is a recent picture of my AS-4 Islander, next to my new Imua soprano. The Imua is also 14 frets to the body, but a more petite soprano in overall body size. The Islander did not come with the Honu Turtle on the headstock or the third fret marker.....I added that.
    Thank you for the picture and the case comments, I found them very helpful. I already have a decent gig bag so if it is practical then I’d prefer not to purchase another with the Uke. However I now wonder whether my friend would prefer it to be bagged. Perhaps I should consider one and so it would be helpful to know the brand name (if it had one) of the disappointing item. The Kaces brand bags are available at UR for $22, but I have no experience of them.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-18-2018 at 02:05 AM.

If they still carry the Fremont Steady case, and the price isn't out of reach, it's a very nice, and protective, soprano gig bag. You can fit an iPad in the front pocket, which makes it great for taking out and is all but unheard of in a soprano case. More than a gig bag, and a bit less than a hard case.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    I use an Islander laminate as a beach Uke.
    It is a tenor and a real bargain at 125.
    I have the AT-4 [laminate acacia tenor] The laminate has a really nice koa-like grain and the uke sounds and plays like a much more expensive instrument. It is really plain though so I added a soundlole ring [sticker] . I don't know about their sopranos though.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thread Information