Case with backpack straps: Fusion or Reunion Blues Continental? Or ???

Tonya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a Reunion Blues Continental case I'd like to use on an upcoming trip to Hawai'i--but I find the bag really bulky and I'm wondering if I'd like the Fusion case more and whether they might offer similar levels of protection.

Frankly, I usually carry my Oahu hard case when traveling because it feels solid up in the overhead (not that I ever take my eyes off the overhead whenever it's opened up!) and protects my Moore Bettah tenor with a classic sturdiness.

But this trip coming up will have me schlepping up and down the length of Kalakaua in Waikiki several times a day for 10 days in a row, with ukulele, in mid-July. I *need* the backpack option...

Hubby has offered to jerry-rig some comfy backpack straps onto the Oahu, but it'd still feel like a pretty stiff carry on my back, I think. I tried the HMS Oahu leather-covered fiberglass case (with backack straps) and the build quality on the batch I got wasn't great so I sent it back.

I already have the Reunion Blues bag, but I'm wondering what a real-world comparison would be with the Fusion...

Does anyone own both? Or do you have another idea?

Again, this is a *nice* ukulele, so I want a travel option that will be protective. And, no, it will *never* be checked baggage.

I have a couple of Fusion F4 gig bags that I bought from gigbagliquidators on ebay. A concert size and a soprano sized one. I really like them. I don't know anything about the other one. They are running $35 dollars for soprano size and go up $5 each size up to baritone. If you have time to wait and watch, sometimes they go down in price as time goes on. I think that I paid $20 dollars each for mine, but I wasn't in a hurry. They are well padded and pretty sturdy.

The RB Continental is possibly more protective than most hard cases. Definitely more than the Fusion F4. But I'm interested in the answer. Also I'd throw one of the high-end Mono cases in the comparison mix. I have the RB Continental and it is bulky, but it's also comfortable to pack around, and the back zipper pocket that holds the straps will hold an iPad and more. I'm constantly wondering if there's anything that has its features in a less bulky form. At a reasonable price.

I own a Fusion Urban series and hands down it is the best semi rigid soft travel case I have ever seen. A friend has the RB Continental another has the Mono. The Urban series has great straps, as good as highend backpacks and a waist belt that tuck into a back panel. Well designed handle and grab loops and two large outside pockets that can take a tablet, collapsible uke stand, eye glasses, tuner etc. The padding and large, long neck block with big long velcro sleeve keeps ukes super secure and safe

I have had this almost one year and have used it for three airplane trips on extented vacations. I have carried it alot, done road trips where it is in and out of cars everyday . Taken it camping, to cottages, cabins etc. I take a Koolau CS spruce and myrtle tenor when traveling so an expensive instrument and this case gives me 100% peace of mind. I even threw it across the room and dropped it from height to test it out and no issues. Not with the Koolau in it, ain't dat stupid:rolleyes:

20171001_115109.jpg20171001_115038.jpg20171001_115004.jpg20171001_115138.jpg20171001_115047.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, DownUpDave. Details *and* photos. The idea of taking the iPad and the extras, appeals to me for my "urban" trekking in Waikiki. I'd rather see the straps totally "containable" in a zipped/tucked pouch of some sort when not used (to allay "catching" the loops accidentally), but I hadn't thought of the Fusion Urban series.

Can anyone else weigh in on this for me?

mid-July in HNL - for the Ukulele Festival, July 15th? :)

please feel free to contact me (text - 206-234-6972) during the day as
i'm most-likely to be found at the Makai Food Court of the Ala Moana Center
serenading the lei-making group near Cinnabon and the Honolulu Cookie kiosk.

during the Uke Fest (Sunday the 15th) I hope to be near or behind the HMS
vendor tent. please come by for an informal meet-n-greet.

also, if you'd like to earn a Gold Participant's Medallion - let me know. You may need
to purchase a Festival T-shirt of a specific color in order to perform with the STRUMMERS
group (200 or 300 of us!), but no worries at all... even if all you can do is air-strum.
However, with a Moore-Bettah, I take it you know a few chords.

hope to see you in HNL (I arrive, Lord Willing, Fri July 6th).

keep uke'in',

Oops, with regard to your actual question...

if you end up using your Hardshell case, it may fit into one of those double-racket
tennis racket bags, and some of them have backpack straps.

you might even be able to carry songbooks and music stands, etc along with the
hardcase uke.

when you go shopping (my suggestion is Goodwill or Value Village) make sure
you bring along your dimensions, as a tenor case may not fit inside
a tennis racket case, even a double, which tends to be a bit larger in most cases.

Last edited:
The Mono, the Reunion and the Fusion are all nice all-around BAGS. But, if I'm hiking with my Moore Bettah, it's hard case all the way. Maybe like a Crossrock ABS800 which is sturdier and lighter than most hard cases, but can be strapped like a back pack.

Tonya, the Fusion Urban bag does have a half panel on the back where the straps tuck into, see picture.

Stevejfc has a good idea with the Crossrock case, more hard knock protection with the ability to have straps. Maybe not as comfortable or convenient with the lack of pockets and loose straps but everything is a compromise

20180527_053114.jpg

Yup, the Crossrock Cases are great!

I have a 'hybrid', made from aluminum/aluminium covered with a thin layer of plastic; it weighs much less than other hard cases.
They are *very* sturdy. Mine got caught once in one of those bathroom turnstyles, and (unlike my leg) it came out without a mark.
It has attachments for two straps so you can wear it as a backpack; when I bought mine, it came with one strap so you'd have to add a second one yourself from somewhere (I just use two straps from shoulder bags), but they may have added a second strap too by now.

Not a whole lot of storage; enough for tuner, strings and ukeleash though. :)

Anyone have any suggestions for a supplier of a strap or webbing system to allow you to carry two hard cases like a backpack?
I have seen the fusion double bag, but too expensive for the couple of time a year tht I would use it
H

Yeah, I "get" the hard case concept for travel--and that's what I always do. In this situation, however, I'll be doing lots of walking back and forth down/up Kalakaua and I really want my hands free. Hmmm...the ideal would be to travel by air with the Oahu hard case then just use a backpack-style case for the on-the-ground activities...but too much stuff.

FWIW, in my "gear" collection (from all the gear I have, you'd definitely think I'd play a lot better than I do!), I also have the Crossrock 900TU (no, not the 800) case--I love it for the "non-alligator tooth" style clasps (much harder to accidentally take a bite out of an instrument since nothing sticks out; see attached shots). But it's not got backpack straps. 'Guess I could ask hubby to make it into a backpack carry bag--any input there on doing that in a "nice" way?
screenshot_736.jpg
IMG_3718.jpg

Last edited:
Tonya:

I have both the RB and Fusion tenor gig bags. I know the RB has a great reputation but I can say without a doubt my Fusion offers greater protection because the sides of the bag is much stiffer, has thicker cushioning than the RB bag, thereby giving greater protection. In addition the side pockets are large and deep so you can carry a lot of stuff. It also comes with a plastic cover to protect the case against the rain. Fusion also makes a double bag if you need to carry another uke or carry other gear.

Luke

Luke

Tonya:

I should also mention the Fusion bag I bought was the "premium" one which has the thicker padding, not the cheap one which has thinner padding.

Luke

Thank you all for the input. I just bought the Fusion Urban bag courtesy of Amazon's "Warehouse Deals" for $99 ($50 savings). It has a 30-day return if I find it doesn't feel "nice" to carry or for any other reason. Does anyone want an update when I get it/review it for my needs?

Thank you all for the input. I just bought the Fusion Urban bag courtesy of Amazon's "Warehouse Deals" for $99 ($50 savings). It has a 30-day return if I find it doesn't feel "nice" to carry or for any other reason. Does anyone want an update when I get it/review it for my needs?

Great cboice and even greater deal, I paid full price for mine one year ago. It was worth every penny as I have used it on all my travels and continue to be impressed

I know that the original question is now moot but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.

1 I have used RB cases for years when flying with banjos and find them amazing. PLUS the airlines are kinder to me than if I had a big hard case.
2 I keep my Kamaka tenor in a Crossrock 1000 case and love it - fits the overhead easily.
3 I have a device - someone sent them to me - I think made by Crossrock and they cradle the hard case so you can carry it like a backpack. I have two of these and might be persuaded to part with them as I can no longer carry a backpack. It is for large cases as well as small ones.
4 I now am flying with a long neck soprano (Opio) and it carries on easily as well as travels around Peru with me as I am here again for one of my many visits per year. The case is the standard Opio gig bag and it is excellent.

IMHO, the ukulele is a perfect travel instrument and a decent gig bag will cover most modest instruments and give protection and portability. My hard cases are reserved for my Kamakas, the rest are in gig bags.

Top Bottom