Thinking about a bespoke ukulele

I think I am with you there, tie through is robust.

I read an interesting article about the advantage of a glued-on bridge. There is a lot of string tension on the uke, and if it takes a jolt, the bridge is the weak point, and it will pop off. If the bridge is screwed on, or the the strings go through the top, the stress will be relieved in some other area of the uke and cause more serious damage. Re-gluing a bridge is no big deal.

I read an interesting article about the advantage of a glued-on bridge. There is a lot of string tension on the uke, and if it takes a jolt, the bridge is the weak point, and it will pop off. If the bridge is screwed on, or the the strings go through the top, the stress will be relieved in some other area of the uke and cause more serious damage. Re-gluing a bridge is no big deal.

Very interesting slant on the tie through.

I knew the bridge was specifically made as the weak point, just didn't think it through that the tie through negates that, of course.

Wish it was $90

Found a nice ukulele from a US supplier, but as it's got abalone it's a nightmare to sort out the export.

A woman in our uke group ordered a uke from a builder in England. It will be mailed to her granddaughter who is attending school in England. When she goers for a visit in a couple of months, she'll get it and bring it home with her. Maybe you should fly over here and pick it up in person. :D

I'm surprised ordering from here is that complicated. I thought rosewood was an export/import problem, not abalone. Life can be unnecessarily complicated.

A woman in our uke group ordered a uke from a builder in England. It will be mailed to her granddaughter who is attending school in England. When she goers for a visit in a couple of months, she'll get it and bring it home with her. Maybe you should fly over here and pick it up in person. :D

I'm surprised ordering from here is that complicated. I thought rosewood was an export/import problem, not abalone. Life can be unnecessarily complicated.

Importing abalone to the US is no problem as it not under CITES, it's a US thing.

Strangely, if it was for human or animal consumption it's OK without a permit.

When are shellfish and fishery products exempt from Service import/export requirements?
Imports and exports of certain shellfish and non-living fish products are exempt from Service
requirements if they are for human or animal consumption and the species is not listed as
injurious (50 CFR Part 16) and does not require a permit under 50 CFR Part 17 (endangered or
threatened species), or 50 CFR 23 (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
(CITES)).

Is it worth $140 to have a bound fretboard?
Not to me, but when you're talking "bespoke" the question is always "how much is it worth to you"

Also, not having gone this route previously, what happens ifI have taken the luthier's advice, but then I'm not happy with the sound?
A few thoughts. First is that "the sound" can be greatly affected by string selection. But hopefully if you've communicated your desired tonal preference and the luthier is on board with it, this won't be an issue anyway. But also you can check ahead of time on any return policy. Oftentimes if the build isn't "too custom" they'll take it back confident they can sell to someone else.

The old play before you buy thing can't apply to something that is made to order especially for you. I can guarantee that the uke will not sound the same on day one as it will on day 3650 (ten years), nor will it look the same. You will get better at playing, find the strings you like and the wood will age as it does naturally. So which day out of the 3650 are you going to choose to pick to work out if you should keep it or if you like the sound? Do you think you are going to be in the same ukulele place in 10 years as you are now?
There really is no point i buying a custom built uke if you are going to decide you don't like it as soon as you open the box. Obviously if it has a physical defect it needs to be sent back for repairs or money back, but the sound is something that is going to change over time as you improve your skills and learn which strings you like and how to make the uke sound the way you want it to sound.
A new custom uke can be treated like a special kitten which is never going to be able to be trained much and will be a nice companion but wont take you anywhere, or it can be treated like a frisky colt to be broken in and become a useful form of going somewhere musically as well as being your faithful companion for years and years. In fact this probably applies to every new musical instrument that you can ever buy.

:agree: 10char

Is it worth $140 to have a bound fretboard?

As others have said, it's all extremely personal. I LOVE a bound fretboard, I would definitely pay for it in a custom. Others don't care as long as the frets are dressed properly. What do you like? Can you get to a shop and try out ukes with and without bound fretboards?

The old play before you buy thing can't apply to something that is made to order especially for you. I can guarantee that the uke will not sound the same on day one as it will on day 3650 (ten years), nor will it look the same. You will get better at playing, find the strings you like and the wood will age as it does naturally. So which day out of the 3650 are you going to choose to pick to work out if you should keep it or if you like the sound? Do you think you are going to be in the same ukulele place in 10 years as you are now?
There really is no point i buying a custom built uke if you are going to decide you don't like it as soon as you open the box. Obviously if it has a physical defect it needs to be sent back for repairs or money back, but the sound is something that is going to change over time as you improve your skills and learn which strings you like and how to make the uke sound the way you want it to sound.
A new custom uke can be treated like a special kitten which is never going to be able to be trained much and will be a nice companion but wont take you anywhere, or it can be treated like a frisky colt to be broken in and become a useful form of going somewhere musically as well as being your faithful companion for years and years. In fact this probably applies to every new musical instrument that you can ever buy.

I know a lot can change over the years, but what if something like the sustain is really not there at all, or it sounds really tinny, or something that you feel just will not improve?

I know a lot can change over the years, but what if something like the sustain is really not there at all, or it sounds really tinny, or something that you feel just will not improve?

You need to do your homework. You need to have listened to at least a few of this luithers insrruments to know he produces the sound characteristics that you like. Again I always tell the luthier the type of sound I like, warm, loud, open with good sustain. But this is the gamble you take if the luthier is very small scale with not many examples.

You need to do your homework. You need to have listened to at least a few of this luithers insrruments to know he produces the sound characteristics that you like. Again I always tell the luthier the type of sound I like, warm, loud, open with good sustain. But this is the gamble you take if the luthier is very small scale with not many examples.
Yes, he is small scale, but he's sent a great reply stating he always gets it peer reviewed by both players and other luthiers.

Top Bottom