Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead spots in the strings!! Common problem?

Default Dead spots in the strings!! Common problem?

A number of weeks ago I put some new Worth CL's on my Bushman Jenny. I have been real happy with them for the most part. They sound and feel great.

The problem is, I had two spots where the notes just didn't ring out like they should. One was the 1st fret on the E string, the second spot was the 5th fret on the C string. Until now I tolerated these dull spots thinking that the frets probably needed some attention. Well, today I finally got fed up enough to investigate the problem.

After some close examination I determined that there was plenty of clearance on the string when these two notes were fretted. (In fact, there was enough clearance that I may get a tusq saddle and try lowering the action some.) So my next thought was to tune the uke up half a step and see what happens! Sure enough, both "dead spots" moved up as well. Tuned down a half step, the spots moved down!

So now I have determined the problem is my NEW strings! Have y'all ran into this before? Is there a way to work the dead spots out or am I stuck? Returning them is not be an option at this point. And I'm not picking on Worth's here. I'm guessing this may be a problem encountered with any brand.
    But I hate thinking it's a "hit or miss" deal. The thought of going through 5 sets to find one good set is not very appealing financially!

Your thoughts?

Update: As a side note, in defense of Worth strings, I recently put a set of Brown Mediums on my KoAloha and must say that they do ring true up and down the frets. No dead spots.
    Last edited by Wagster; 05-12-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Update

the same thing happens with my uke and i have worth strings on as well! except my problem area is E string 3rd and 4th fret

I have the same problem with my Lanikai, I'm using Aquilas, I've done the action thing and it is still the same, just got some D'Addario's hoping it is just duff strings, and am waiting for a Tusq saddle.
    If that fails I guess its just down to the Uke, Thats a good enough exuse for me to get saving for a new one, thats what i'm gonna tell the wife anyway.
    http://www.youtube.com/errol4bz
    http://leroy4bz.blogspot.com/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain!

[QUOTE=Wagster;134828]
    So now I have determined the problem is my NEW strings! Have y'all ran into this before? Is there a way to work the dead spots out or am I stuck? Your thoughts?

QUOTE]

Wag, most likely it is just your ukulele and not the strings. Every uke has an overall harmonic resination that favors certain notes over others when a string is plucked and the top (wood) vibrates. The dead spots (notes), which are generally only few on any uke, are the harmonic negatives that tend not to move the top as much, which in turn, causes less air thru the soundhole creating the troublesome dead spot.

I have two dead spots on my $800 G-string tenor...e.lo..
    Dude...it's a ukulele! www.dudeitsaukulele.com

I have a Tangi Mango Tenor and Mele Koa Concert 6 string and Dead spot is in the same place on both instruments, between my ears....

From my experience, all of the major string brands occasionally have bad strings. Whether they sound farty or aren't intonated correctly. I think this is due to them being "spun" out too fast.

San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`i

hh beat me to the punch. there's always a dead set in the bunch. that's why they always say swap the line out as the first "cure" to a buzz.
    200 years of Unification. 117 years of ILLEGAL OCCUPATION.

[QUOTE=Wagster;134828]So my next thought was to tune the uke up half a step and see what happens! Sure enough, both "dead spots" moved up as well. Tuned down a half step, the spots moved down!QUOTE]

I missed this test you did. This would re-enforce my earlier suggestion...your harmonic resistence changes when you tuned down a half step, therefore, so did your dead spot. It's not a bad string IMHO...e.lo...
    Dude...it's a ukulele! www.dudeitsaukulele.com

I missed this test you did. This would re-enforce my earlier suggestion...your harmonic resistence changes when you tuned down a half step, therefore, so did your dead spot. It's not a bad string IMHO...e.lo...
    You could be right, E-Lo, though I hope not. The test will come soon as I intend to try a set of Bushman strings on it (though the thought of paying $6 shipping for thier strings is a bit repulsive. I may just see what MGM has on hand).

But new strings will determine (for sure) which is at fault here, the chicken or the egg!

Quote Originally Posted by rossjr View Post
    I have a Tangi Mango Tenor and Mele Koa Concert 6 string and Dead spot is in the same place on both instruments, between my ears....
    Hey, I got this same problem...

Thread Information