Strings for Tenor Ukulele

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I just purchased a Tenor Ukulele. It is strung gCEA. If I decided I want a low G. What is best to do? Buy another set of strings that are GCEA or re-string it with classical guitar strings. What strings from the classical set should I use? Will Baritone strings work? Sorry, I am lost. Please help.

I just purchased a Tenor Ukulele. It is strung gCEA. If I decided I want a low G. What is best to do? Buy another set of strings that are GCEA or re-string it with classical guitar strings. What strings from the classical set should I use? Will Baritone strings work? Sorry, I am lost. Please help.

You only have to change the G string, you can keep the other 3 strings in place. Purchase a Fremont Soloist or Oasis Smooth Wound G string.

The G string will be approx. .030" in diameter so D string from a classical guitar set will do as they are usually that approx. size

Last edited:
You only have to change the G string, you can keep the other 3 strings in place. Purchase a Fremont Soloist or Oasis Smooth Wound G string.

The G string will be approx. .030" in diameter so D string from a classical guitar set will do as they are usually that approx. size

Good advice.

What Dave said, or get a set of Living Water low G, lots of my friends swear by them on their tenors.

I am using a Thomastik-Infeld chrome steel flat wound .030 low G. Ukulele Site sells them. Very smooth tone and lasts a long time.

+1 on those TI CF30 low g. Just installed them on my Beau Hannam Tenor. Sounds and feels great.

Agree that the TI CF30 and Oasis smooth wound. The smooth wound gives more boom to the bass than the TI; TI gives a more balanced sound with the other strings. Haven't tried the Fremont yet.

I put an Aquila redo on my tenor about 3 years ago. The nut and bridge slot had to be widened a abit, but it still sounds as great as when it was new. I don't know if wound strings keep their sound that long or go dull.

Top Bottom