Suggestions & Help Purchasing the Right Ukulele

ukulele_piano

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have recently developed interest in Ukulele, and I found out that the old ukulele lying around in my store is damaged, and I am looking to buy a new one.

This is the one I have in my mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTZ4JHE/

How is this one? I am experienced at Piano, but this would be my first String Instrument. Haven't played Guitar Before!

If you could recommend something else too, that would be great. My Budget is less than 100 USD.

I have a feeling that since i am comfortable with Playing the Piano, i would learn it quickly and dont want to end up buying a more pro ukulele after a few days.

Regards
Dan

I'll second everything Margaret said. As a music teacher, you will appreciate the value of a decently made and well setup instrument. It will pay off in the long term to spend more for an instrument that you can enjoy.

My 2¢:

$30 Amazon ukulele is likely to disappoint. As a musician, you probably already appreciate that your instrument can have a large impact on how much you enjoy playing. Buying low end crap (like what you linked probably is) will not give you the most enjoyment you could have. Ukulele probably will not sound good, will have poor intonation, and a less than desirable action.

If you have $100 in the budget, shop around and look for something that costs around $100. You won't regret it.

Also, make sure to get it set up. Action adjustments can make a world of difference in playability and intonation. As others have mentioned, there are distributors who pride themselves on the quality of instruments that they sell--I'd buy from one of those.

Alternatively, you can shop in the UU Marketplace. You can get good value out of a previously owned instrument as they often sell at a considerable discount.

As a less-than-a-year ukulele player who has already purchased 10 ukes (UAS will hit you), I own several different brands. Before I bought a new uke, I read reviews from getaukulele and Vic.
I started with the mahogany Donner concert (based on reviews) and it's still one of my favorites (the slightly wider fretboard seems to make some chords easier). I have three Kala ukes and I don't think you can go wrong with a Kala. I really love my red soprano Makala Dolphin - the body is a little thinner than many ukes and it is so easy to hold.

The Ukulele Site isn’t dealing very much with low end ukuleles, but I would call Mim’s Ukes or The Uke Republic and ask for their recommendations at your price point (they will ship with set-up included, too).

I would recommend a concert scale instrument...but certainly, buy what moves you!

As for Amazon purchases, I was impressed with the Aklot AKC-23, and also have liked the Enya models. The concert HPL is just barely in your price range. These are not referral links.

Aklot AKC-23: 57.19 https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Maho...&qid=1527211960&sr=8-3&keywords=aklot+ukulele

Enya Concert HPL: 85.99. https://www.amazon.com/ENYA-23-inch...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3S0XY052E8Z0P7KD3BKA

The Ukulele Site isn’t dealing very much with low end ukuleles, but I would call Mim’s Ukes or The Uke Republic and ask for their recommendations at your price point (they will ship with set-up included, too).

I would recommend a concert scale instrument...but certainly, buy what moves you!

I agree with this recommendation. This weekend marks my one year of playing uke. I have sense had the opportunity to play some wonderful instruments. I went too cheap the first time, around 40 dollars. The sound is good, but the action is too high. If I would have ordered from Mike at Ukerepublic I would have saved myself some money I n the long run and had a better sounding uke the first two times.

Yes, I agree. Uke Republic and Mim's Ukes are the best ways to go for a budget ukulele.
I'd avoid Amazon, it's a crapshoot, and I dislike their sweat shop policies toward workers.

As a total beginner on stringed instruments, I'd suggest you start out on a concert scale uke, & my suggestion would be for an Ohana or a Kala, (you really should be thinking in the 3 figure area price wise, else you'll find yourself upgrading soon).
:music:

I'm a relative beginner and I'd have to suggest the Enya Concert or Tenor. It's a high quality beginner instrument and it seems to come with everything you need to get started. That said, I absolutely LOVE my Fender Tenor based on tuning, sound and ease of play.

Top Bottom