::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Yesterday we drove over to my daughter's camp by Howe IN. Our grandkids were there also. Our grandson is living here again but our grand daughter just comes back every once and awhile. With her job she is on the go most of the time. It was a nice drive around South bend and then on east. It's about one hundred miles.

We don’t have any plans for 4th this year. We used to join our neighbors for a barbeque and watching the kids set off fireworks. The kids aren’t interested in fireworks. All the loud noises set off Sean’s and Callie’s anxiety.

I have decided that the crazy amount of illegal fireworks is really a display of what I think is the USA's biggest flaw - and most defining trait as a country. Selfishness. I've heard the buyers and exploders of the illegal fireworks say they're being patriotic (we have a lot of these people in our neighborhood). But isn't patriotism caring about your country and the people in it? People who set off these things 1) obviously don't respect the law that says they shouldn't, 2) show no regard to their neighbors who have issues with them, 3) are only fulfilling their own need for the flash and boom without regard to others. That's not patriotism, that's selfishness.

Woah Gary. I’d rather sit in a middle seat than the aisle. On the aisle I get everybody’s butt in my face. RL Kid always takes the window.

Our flight to Maui (we connected to Kauai there) wasn't full - I was able to have the window, Sheryl the aisle. Pure luxury.

Grams passed this morning.
I am sure she and grampa are happy to be together again after nearly 20 years apart.

I'm so glad you and Tanya made it to HB in time to have some good time with her and say good bye. (((((Damon and Tanya)))))

Good morning from the Garden Isle! I'm sitting on our lanai watching the waves and listening to the birds. There's an egret posing for me down on the lawn. Beautiful morning! Of course, it will get oppressively hot later - my age and weight don't handle heat like they used to. We're having a great time, but we made a pact to only come to Hawaii in the winter in the future. It's not a big difference in the weather, but every little bit helps!

I have decided that the crazy amount of illegal fireworks is really a display of what I think is the USA's biggest flaw - and most defining trait as a country. Selfishness. I've heard the buyers and exploders of the illegal fireworks say they're being patriotic (we have a lot of these people in our neighborhood). But isn't patriotism caring about your country and the people in it? People who set off these things 1) obviously don't respect the law that says they shouldn't, 2) show no regard to their neighbors who have issues with them, 3) are only fulfilling their own need for the flash and boom without regard to others. That's not patriotism, that's selfishness.

Welcome to the threshold of the faith/country conundrum. Wait until you get to the current sanctification of military veterans.

Protestants don't have much use for ontologial change at ordination (it's a useless distinction either way). But culturally we seem to project such a transformation onto service persons (it goes way beyond gratitude and military discounts).

I completely agree.

I have been consoling my dogs everyday for over a week. I can’t imagine what your Sean is going through.

Leader of the uke group I've been going to has organized 4th of July play & sings at the county animal shelter for a couple of years now.

Welcome to the threshold of the faith/country conundrum. Wait until you get to the current sanctification of military veterans.

Protestants don't have much use for ontologial change at ordination (it's a useless distinction either way). But culturally we seem to project such a transformation onto service persons (it goes way beyond gratitude and military discounts).

I'm way beyond the deification of the military. I appreciate their vocation - they have chosen careers that I couldn't have. At the same time - they are not gods.

We just got back from an afternoon of bobbing in the ocean at Hanalei Bay. My new favorite beach. It was gorgeous, the sea was perfect, the bobbing was so relaxing, and we were buzzed by a sea turtle for the perfect icing on the cake.

I'm way beyond the deification of the military. I appreciate their vocation - they have chosen careers that I couldn't have. At the same time - they are not gods.

I'm referring to a future time when as a religious professional you bang your head against that stone and are powerless to dislodge it.

Nothing against military service. There are many fine reasons to serve, patriotism and opportunity among them.

Top Bottom