::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Does technology make us more, or less isolated?

I went to a new year's Eve party that my younger sister was throwing at her house (when she still lived with her parents). 4 bedroom house with a large pool in Huntington Beach.
The kids were all sitting in the living room on their phones.
I am NOT kidding or exaggerating.
Nanilei and I went in there and were like
"HEY! JOIN THE HUMAN RACE! IT'S A PARRRRRRTY!"
and one of them looked up and said, "Yeah, we know, we are all texting each other!"

Weirdos.

Millennials.

This was about 10 years ago...

Yes, cars have improved exponentially from about the 90s on. They've also gotten far more complex. As long as they don't come apart they're good. But if you have to put them back together it's gonna cost plenty. If an accident triggers a couple of airbags there's $5 grand right there. That's an automatic total loss for any car over about 4 years old.

We have rain here in the Valley of the (hidden) Sun. About 2 inches expected over the next 3 days. It's something of a novelty. The monsoon didn't deliver much this year. This is the first measurable rain in close to 3 months.

Mrs Pere LOVED Criminal Minds. I couldn't stay in the same room with it. Every episode began with evil and I would bail. I have a hard time with most police procedurals because of the violence. Start with a murder, have a couple of shootouts, then a happy ending. 5-O is the worst for this. None of the cops ever get put on leave pending an investigation. NCIS LA is about as bad.

Does technology make us more, or less isolated?

Both/And. We have much greater saturation in the culture of our times, yet personal contact with our neighbors is diluted. It's easy for me to judge negatively a group of people sitting around staring into their phones. It doesn't suit my values. Yet I have to allow for society evolving and seeking new norms. Absent some grand technological apocalypse the genii isn't going back in the bottle. So where is society going to take the trend? I got nuthin'.

Mrs Pere seems to be deeply engaged in political news (addicted?). I can't tolerate much of it. We live much of our lives in separate rooms now because of the news cycle. Or if we're in the same room, we are not attending the same things. It's not healthy, but who can say which of us is wrong?

I see your point about judging a more modern group with my perceptions/values, but they did not LOOK like they were having fun.
It was not this group sharing their fun with another group, it was just 10 kids interacting with each other (so they said) without speaking to one another, despite the fact that they were all in the same room, four of them seated on the same sofa even, with no smiles, laughter, or even any apparent engagement.

Weird.

Agreed that this was a bit before selfies, live video, etc was prevalent/possible/often shared on social media.
This was Myspace and text messaging I imagine.

But yeah we were stunned.

We went to see JoJo Rabbit this evening.
Excellent film.
Really great performances.

My wife and I are diametrically opposed politically. It makes watching the news together very tense....

It's the divide in the country. The two extremes can't fathom how the other can even think the way they do.
And both sides dislike the moderates. It's got to be all or nothing, I guess.

My wife and I are diametrically opposed politically. It makes watching the news together very tense....

We are in full agreement. She’s fascinated watching the train wreck; I’m exhausted by the tragedy of it. It’s her commentary on the commentary that weighs on me.

Aloha Kakahiaka PoHos!
Glorious day today!
The Mountains are extra green from all the rain.
It always amazes me how rapidly that happens.
How come plants don't grow that fast at my house?
Oh, I guess the weeds do.
Still pretty!

Aloha Kakahiaka PoHos!
Glorious day today!
The Mountains are extra green from all the rain.
It always amazes me how rapidly that happens.
How come plants don't grow that fast at my house?
Oh, I guess the weeds do.
Still pretty!

We had rain last night too.

Just enough to have drops on the cars but the ground was dry by the time I woke up.

We’ve gotten almost an inch of rain over the last day. Another inch or so expected today to tomorrow. The garden needs a good soaking. We’re grateful for it.

watching thanksgiving cooking shows with my culinary class. Very hungry now.

been eating between 1200-1800 calories per day. Pretty much starving between meals and it takes everything I got to not stuff myself when I do eat.

When we go out I've been getting a "to go" box when they drop the plate and remove half the meal right there. Then I try to fill up on water to keep me from wanting to pig out. It takes me about three months to get used to this size portion. The key this time will be to not fall back into my usual habits.

Pushing for sub 215 lbs. Currently back up to 235lbs.

Top Bottom