::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I'm glad to be back after posting too many refutations to Gary's list of "facts".

I believe I posted "Useless Trivia". Was it useless trivia facts? I just googled "useless trivia" and posted (and then spent some time reading all of them).

I believe I posted "Useless Trivia". Was it useless trivia facts? I just googled "useless trivia" and posted (and then spent some time reading all of them).

Pretty much everything I post here could be put into the "useless" category. It's why I love this place!

My food science class made:

Ice Cream - phase change
Lemon Bars - tempering
Soft Pretzels - changing the Ph so it browns yet stays soft
Pasta - gluten
Beignets - also gluten
French Fries - Maillard reaction

The French fries looked like a cross between mashed potatoes and hash browns. How do you mess up French fries?!

Why doesn't anyone make a cast iron saucepan?

There are dutch ovens, skillets/fry pans, bread pans, etc. But nobody seems to make a cast iron saucepan.

Theirs is enameled cast iron, which increases the cost a lot.

Nobody seems to make a raw/un-enameled saucepan.

Probably because you can't cook anything acidic in it. Many sauces contain acidic foods like tomatoes.

The 5 1/2 qt. Dutch oven I want is $340.00.

I won't pay that much for one but I'll keep my eye out for garage sales.

Anything we've seen used has been trashed. The enamel is cracked, etc. Probably from people putting cold water in a hot saucepan.

I think La Crueset makes a sauce pan.

We have one, I bought one for Nanilei.
It is enamel coated though, not cast iron. Still very easy to clean back to as-new status pretty much no matter what you cook in there.

The 5 1/2 qt. Dutch oven I want is $340.00.

I won't pay that much for one but I'll keep my eye out for garage sales.

There is an online shop in Lake Forest, CA that sells Le Creuset at great prices plus - get this - free shipping!
Now I gotta remember the name of it.
Like half price of all those snooty stores that sell them like Sur la Table and Williams-Sonoma.

We have a Le Creuset stock pot I need to replace. The lid and the mouth of the pan are rusting at the seam where the enamel ends and is covered by a chrome ring. It was an item that we got free when we purchased some spendy pots. It is definitely lower quality than either the enamel covered iron or stoneware stuff, but it has lasted many years.

So Helen has been making a squeaky noise when you start her up sometimes, then it went to a kind of shriek that would pop up for 1-2 seconds every now and then, to where ok I don't want to drive her anymore.
We had our mechanic friend stop by today.
Water pump.
It was one of my guesses:
Alternator
Water Pump
Idler pulley
I knew it was not power steering because that is electric on Helen.
It did not seem to be A/C, although I suppose it could have been the pulley.
It just sounds like a bearing was shot.
Our mechanic friend just hopes that the pump impeller did not send a bunch of shrapnel into the cooling system.

So I just got back from AutoZone with a new pump.
TheBus stops right behind AutoZone, so that was convenient.
Mechanic friend returns tomorrow.
I feel bad because I spent all my extra $ on the pump.
Nanilei made him brownies.
I'll pay him back soon.

Top Bottom