::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

My steps average for the trip was 17K a day.

One day at Disneyland I logged over 33K steps. Too many for my old bones. The downfall of traveling with a family that is twenty years younger than you.

Worth doing for James though. He had the time of his life.

He loved NY as well. I would go back one more time to do some things we didn't get to but other than the eating I really wasn't a fan of the crowds and the grime. By no means am I a germaphobe but I felt like I needed to hand sanitize my whole body after every trip on the subway.

I always felt sticky too. It was 90's and humid.

Bummed that Carnegie Deli is closed. Katz was really good but I kept hearing that Carnegie was better (although I can't imagine that).

I'm going to watch "The Night at the Museum" movies again before I go next time. Because of all the other stuff we had planned, we really only explored the dinosaurs and a few other exhibits.

We made a special trip for James to see the Ardsley building. It's where they filmed the TV show "Jessie."

The bonus (sad bonus) was that right next door is the Dakota. There was a little plaque for John Lennon there.

I'm also pretty sure I found the spot Jake filmed "Guitar Gently Weeps"

Wasn't really into seeing Central Park because I figured it would be like Golden Gate Park only bigger. For the most part it's true, but I was glad we went and saw a few things there.

James wanted a chili-cheese dog so we bought a couple off a cart. I tried a bite and it wasn't anymore special than a Wienerschnitzel dog IMO.

I wonder why that first dog tasted so good?

I'm sticking with condiments and not what Kenvin said :)

I had it with sauerkraut and grilled onions w/mustard.

Had Shake Shack too.

We have a few places called "Mooya" around here and the burger was pretty much the same. I've been told since, that I should have had the chicken sandwich.

With all the junk I ate, I'm surprised I'm not retaining water from the salt.

Maybe all the walking countered the sodium?

Didn't really get to explore Times Square even though we were staying right there above it.

That Stonewall Riot 50th anniversary event made it crazy down there.

We had no idea that was going on when we booked. My initial thought was "man, there are more gays here than in the Castro in SF" Even our hotel is listed as LGBTQ friendly and recommended on gay websites (I looked up the history of the Stonewall Riots and found out all kids of information).

I wanted to go down to the closing ceremony but after having to walk through the crowd to get back to our room I had had enough of smashing into people.

What's up dudes!
Yes, Sally, staying at BIL/SIL's place at Beach &
Ellis.
Prepping for tomorrow.
Probably go visit grams again Friday.
Probably skip the parade.
Friday a bunch of other relatives from Hawaii and Colorado arrive. We will relocate to other SIL's place in Long Beach for a few days.
BIL's parents' 65th wedding anniversary this Saturday.
Busy busy!

Went to Kolohe ukulele club last night.
Harold is still there!
Uncle Bobby Tomei is still there!
Found out they are going to the Sakuma festival this year again.
Uncle Bobby asked me to play with them at Kani Ka Pila Grille when they do their set there on Saturday. :)

Has anybody used an endocam that plugs into your phone. I see Amazon has them for under $20.

Yesterday Chris finished up their first week at Mod Pizza. They seem to be enjoying their new job. They’re in a good mood when they get home after their shift. Getting fired from the last job may have been a godsend.

Is that the one at Tanasbourne? I've meant to go there many times...my office is just down the street from it.

Went to Kolohe ukulele club last night.
Harold is still there!
Uncle Bobby Tomei is still there!
Found out they are going to the Sakuma festival this year again.
Uncle Bobby asked me to play with them at Kani Ka Pila Grille when they do their set there on Saturday. :)

Wow, good to hear both are still kicking ass!

Today is set up day. We cleared the driveway, bought a huge blow up pool, setting up the awning, pulling out the BBQ, fire ring, chairs, tables, umbrellas, etc and we’re having our own tailgate party at home tomorrow. The kids and their friends will be joining us. Mike got all the bikes in running shape in case any of them want to venture downtown for the parade. (Huntington Beach has the biggest and oldest 4th of July parade west of the Mississippi.)
At night there is a huge fireworks show at the pier so we’ll venture across Pacific Coast Hwy to watch with 300 thousand other people.
Today I’m prepping ribs and marinating chicken.

Food service/restaurant work is pretty fun when you’re young. Everyone you work with are mostly young too and you have a lot of people to hang out with.

Emma's band (she's in the colorguard) runs one of the concessions stands at the minor league ballpark near us. For every hour worked the student gets $10 deposited into their band account to pay for the mandatory fees. Emma is too young to work there but Sheryl has been doing it and actually having a pretty good time with it.

Emma's band (she's in the colorguard) runs one of the concessions stands at the minor league ballpark near us. For every hour worked the student gets $10 deposited into their band account to pay for the mandatory fees. Emma is too young to work there but Sheryl has been doing it and actually having a pretty good time with it.

It's pretty cool, actually - all of the concessions at that ballpark are run that way. Each stand is assigned to a kid-related club and the company that operates concessions gives the money to the club in the name of the kid/parent working there. I'm sure it saves the company money and tax headaches, since they don't have to deal with payroll taxes and social security and all that, but it's also a huge help to the groups working there. Win-win!

Tooth lady a bit later. New crown for me and a cleaning and eval. for Shirley. I heard one of the dems. say something about adding dental to Medicare. That would be nice.

I've never understood why basic dental is considered to be something different from medical. Our teeth/mouths play a part in our overall health - why are they excluded from medical benefits?

So you’re staying with local relatives? Going to the parade?

We’re setting up at our house. Going to make our own “beach” in the driveway. The kids will all come over. Going to bbq and just chill. I bought a huge blow up pool to lounge in and we’ll walk to the beach for the fireworks show.

Emma will be in the local parade with the high school band/colorguard. The rest of the day will be packing the girls for camp and us for Kauai. We will drop them off at Sheryl's brother's place tomorrow afternoon and then we're FREE until Wednesday when we pick Annie up.

Top Bottom