::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Mrs Pere still listens to FM despite the sat radio subscription. How she can stomach all the ads is beyond me.

I only listen to my own music or (usually) audiobooks from my phone through Apple CarPlay on my car stereo.

I have a Satellite radio subscription, but it does not work in Hawaii. I can still listen online or via my phone, but it uses data.

There is an excellent Hawaiian music station, AM 940, that I listen to every day. My clock radio alarm is set to that station.
Also, on the drive to North Shore, there are several dead spots for FM but AM940 comes in the whole way, so I often switch to that.

We were searching for a station with more traditional Hawaiian music when we were in Kauai; the closest we found was a Jawaiian station that was way more Jamaica than Hawaii. However, as we searched we came across a station where a guy with the heaviest Hawaiian accent I've ever heard was doing a reading from the Bible. It was AWESOME. To hear the disciples refer to Jesus as "brah" was fantastic. We wished we heard more, but when he was done they went on to something else and regular sermon radio leaves me cold.

I remember when EVERYBODY in Portland seemed to have one of these stickers on their car. The station would have people cruise around in a van and pull people over and give them cash for showing their KGW stickers.

images

They referred to WLS as 89 also. I guess the zero wasn't important? 890 kilohertz is the frequency. Well, it may have been kilocycles originally.

I've never had the courage to say, "It's me or the cats," because I'm pretty sure how it would shake out. There were times we said, "We're staying together because of the kids." Neither one of us wanted to take them alone.

You’d never say that because you’re a kind and gentle soul.

There have been times I would have sold my kids;)

1922 was when KGW started too!

Wow, maybe that’s when big radio started?

There’s some Los Angeles AM radio station (I can’t remember which one) that’s been around forever. My dad grew up on the coast of Washington. He said he could tune it in up there when he was a kid.

My memory now is telling me that station that came in on the radio telescope was KFI, not KHJ, though I remember both.

Wow, maybe that’s when big radio started?

There’s some Los Angeles AM radio station (I can’t remember which one) that’s been around forever. My dad grew up on the coast of Washington. He said he could tune it in up there when he was a kid.

I listened to news of the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake on an AM station from San Francisco that evening. AM signals travel crazy far at night.

The talk about AM radio made me think of the crystal radios that they used to make.

My memory now is telling me that station that came in on the radio telescope was KFI, not KHJ, though I remember both.

KFI! That was the one that was so strong my dad could hear it in Washington

Damon, when you want crazy good tonkatsu try Tonkatsu Tamafuji on Kapahulu. I heard the lines get super long but we went when they first opened. Best katsu either of us has ever had. Aged pork cooked to perfection. And the tsukemonos (pickled stuff) reminded me of when I was a little kid and my great-grandmother made all of that stuff. Pics on FB

The other place was Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin. Really good too, but not as good as the other place.

BTW

I've gained between 15-20lbs since Disneyland. We'll basically have been eating out for over a month for every meal.

I too made a crystal radio. Also a Shortwave kit with about 20 feet of wire antenna strung from my window to the apricot tree. All I got on that was Radio Moscow. Every so often my dad brought home a huge console radio, 11 bands. I got some crazy shizz on that but never quite knew what it was.

Given all the Apollo 11 stuff going on, I had a miniature Mercury capsule crystal radio. There was a screw that came out of the little end that tuned it.

I used to listen to KNBR 680 out of San Francisco. 50,000 clear channel watts. I college in Pullman, Washington we’d get it when the atmospheric skip was good. AM was great for that. FM is pretty much line of sight.

Those big radio stations were backup navigation beacons for aircraft and ships. They could triangulate from them to find position. That’s why they did station ID so often.

Damon, when you want crazy good tonkatsu try Tonkatsu Tamafuji on Kapahulu. I heard the lines get super long but we went when they first opened. Best katsu either of us has ever had. Aged pork cooked to perfection. And the tsukemonos (pickled stuff) reminded me of when I was a little kid and my great-grandmother made all of that stuff. Pics on FB

The other place was Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin. Really good too, but not as good as the other place.

Awesome, looking forward to it!

\m/ahalo

BTW

I've gained between 15-20lbs since Disneyland. We'll basically have been eating out for over a month for every meal.

I weighed myself at SIL's place.
Was bummed to discover I had gained 15 lbs.
I got home and weighed myself on my scale.
I gained 7 lbs.
Ok, that I can believe over the last three weeks of Mexican food, desserts, beer, and booze.
I'll be back on track by the end of next week.

I too made a crystal radio. Also a Shortwave kit with about 20 feet of wire antenna strung from my window to the apricot tree. All I got on that was Radio Moscow. Every so often my dad brought home a huge console radio, 11 bands. I got some crazy shizz on that but never quite knew what it was.

Given all the Apollo 11 stuff going on, I had a miniature Mercury capsule crystal radio. There was a screw that came out of the little end that tuned it.

I used to listen to KNBR 680 out of San Francisco. 50,000 clear channel watts. I college in Pullman, Washington we’d get it when the atmospheric skip was good. AM was great for that. FM is pretty much line of sight.

Those big radio stations were backup navigation beacons for aircraft and ships. They could triangulate from them to find position. That’s why they did station ID so often.

A friend at the boarding school had a killer shortwave receiver. We spent hours late at night listening to all kinds of groovy stuff from around the planet.
Listening to the first Columbia launch on NASA radio is an especially vivid memory.

Today was a little nuts.
Getting AAA to diagnose the battery failure, finding out the battery was indeed bad, going to Costco for warranty exchange, etc. Took many more hours than I thought it would.

The worst part? As I was driving to Costco I glanced in the rearview mirror and noticed the passenger map light was on.

So guess what? The dead battery was likely my fault (or Nanilei's) leaving that light on the night before we left for California.

Whatever.

I have a new battery free of charge.

Now just got a text that a friend is flying in tomorrow morning.

I really wanted to go to HASR Bistro with Gary tomorrow, but now might have to go do something with her and Nanilei.

We'll see, maybe I will just take TheBus to HASR Bistro and let the girls do their thing.

Happy wife, happy life, right?
:D

Top Bottom