::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

She lives out there now? That’s a change from the coast.

Indeed! And an even bigger change from her previous residence in Big Bear.
She is doing OK, but definitely aging. She is going to be 84 next month. Her mind is there, we had great conversation, but she moves more slowly and speaks more softly.

After our visit she unexpectedly said she was going to go lie down, so we just jet straight to West Hollywood and dropped in on my brother.
We amazingly went from the 10 to the 60 to the 91 to the 55 to the 405 to the 605 to the 5 and the 101

AND HIT *NO* TRAFFIC!

It was an L.A. miracle!
As we approached downtown the sun was just setting behind the skyline, and the picture was just SO "LA" I will have to post it and show you.
Had a great visit with my brother, he looks great, looks way better than me and he just turned 60 last month.
He says he plays tennis 5 days a week and got a new job so we are happy for him.

We are ready to jet back to Hawaii.

Almost pulled in to Sally's tract on my way back from the dentist this morning, but did not want to intrude at such an early hour...

6BCq5Oz.jpg

So we are officially at Peanut flour!!Summer is taking about 1/10 of a peanut in flour form now!!!!

Nice! One of James' friends is also going through peanut therapy and is making pretty good progress as well.

James and I snorkeled for about three hours.

My back is burnt. Never used to worry about burning. Old age? No base tan? I even used a ton of sunscreen but I guess it kinda wears off after a while.

Anyhow, saw a pufferfish. That was first for me in Hawaii. I also saw a turtle chilin' on the ocean floor so I called James over. He's never seen a live turtle. Some other tourists saw me keep diving down and pointing for James so they came to check it out.

"TURTLE!!!!"

Exactly what I was trying to avoid. At least a dozen people swam out to where we were and one a-hole went down and touched him. The poor thing got startled and tried to swim away with a dozen knuckleheads trying to chase it. I felt bad for the poor thing.

What else did we do?

Let's see:

Zippy's for breakfast while waiting for laundry.
Skipped Taniokas to get out to North Shore.
Went to Giovannis for shrimp again and James ate 3 ears of Kahuku corn.
Had dinner at IchiRiki a shabu shabu restaurant.
Went to the Apple Store to get a diagnostics test on James' iPad screen. It sometimes has a slow response with the touch screen. They said it was a software issue that will be fixed with the next update later this week.
I bought a couple discounted shirts at Reyn Spooner.
James played some games in an arcade.
Now we're back at the room folding the laundry we spread around to dry.

I got another jury summons yesterday. It's for the local court, about three miles away. I have a phone number to call the evening before, last time I was not needed. We'll see.

James and I snorkeled for about three hours.

My back is burnt. Never used to worry about burning. Old age? No base tan? I even used a ton of sunscreen but I guess it kinda wears off after a while.

Anyhow, saw a pufferfish. That was first for me in Hawaii. I also saw a turtle chilin' on the ocean floor so I called James over. He's never seen a live turtle. Some other tourists saw me keep diving down and pointing for James so they came to check it out.

"TURTLE!!!!"

Exactly what I was trying to avoid. At least a dozen people swam out to where we were and one a-hole went down and touched him. The poor thing got startled and tried to swim away with a dozen knuckleheads trying to chase it. I felt bad for the poor thing.

I was swimming in Hanalei Bay and Sheryl had gone back to the beach when a dark shape passed about 6 feet away from me. I figured shark or turtle. I started following it and once it popped its head up for a breath I signaled to Sheryl on the beach to come follow me. We followed it for 100 yards or so while it swam along and popped its head up from time to time, but nobody else noticed. It wove its way through people and still no one paid any attention. It was kind of cool to be the only ones.

Once I was snorkeling off an island in Thailand when I saw a spot not far from me where the water seemed to be boiling and it was coming in my direction. I went underwater and suddenly was engulfed in a big school of some kind of shrimp, immediately followed by several fish. t was crazy and over in less than thirty seconds.

I was swimming in Hanalei Bay and Sheryl had gone back to the beach when a dark shape passed about 6 feet away from me. I figured shark or turtle. I started following it and once it popped its head up for a breath I signaled to Sheryl on the beach to come follow me. We followed it for 100 yards or so while it swam along and popped its head up from time to time, but nobody else noticed. It wove its way through people and still no one paid any attention. It was kind of cool to be the only ones.

That's cool!

Are there good places to snorkel around Princeville? I've only gone up that way a couple times. Once was to golf and the other was to check out some popular beach but James was really young and we only stayed at the beach for less than an hour. We ended up checking out caves. The family that is meeting us has kids that are 13, 10 and 6 so we're looking for a swim/snorkel friendly beach. It's kind of rough down in Poipu. I'm told there are some great but hard to get to beaches on the Waimea side.

Once I was snorkeling off an island in Thailand when I saw a spot not far from me where the water seemed to be boiling and it was coming in my direction. I went underwater and suddenly was engulfed in a big school of some kind of shrimp, immediately followed by several fish. t was crazy and over in less than thirty seconds.

When I was in high school a couple friends talked me into going surfing at night. I wasn't even a decent surfer and one of them was sponsored by O'Neil. Anyhow, I was out basically swimming with a board strapped to my ankle when a big dark shadow swam below me (full moon; that's why we were out at night). I was pretty sure I was going to die. It circled below me a couple times and I was trying to gather up the courage to try to poke it somehow.

Stupid seal popped it's head up a couple feet away. Checked me out and then swam away. Pretty much soiled my wetsuit.

Today is the first day since we got here that I slept in (6:30). I've been waking up at 3:30 every morning.

That's cool!

Are there good places to snorkel around Princeville? I've only gone up that way a couple times. Once was to golf and the other was to check out some popular beach but James was really young and we only stayed at the beach for less than an hour. We ended up checking out caves. The family that is meeting us has kids that are 13, 10 and 6 so we're looking for a swim/snorkel friendly beach. It's kind of rough down in Poipu. I'm told there are some great but hard to get to beaches on the Waimea side.

The only snorkeling I've done on Kauai is at Lydgate in the protected pool. There are fish - we found them by the wall that separates the main pool from the keiki pool - but not a large variety and no coral; the pool is completely artificial. Still, it's safe and easy for the beginning snorkeler.

I've read that Ke'e beach beyond Hanalei is great for snorkeling, but haven't tried it. The road past Hanalei just opened again a few weeks ago after being closed for a year for repairs due to flooding. I've heard there's a permit system in place for Ke'e - investigate that before going so you don't get to the beach and have to turn around again. Ke'e is near the caves. We talked to a couple from Australia at Hanalei Bay who had come there from Ke'e - they had to turn away because they didn't have a permit. Hanalei Bay was fantastic for swimming but the snorkeling would be pretty poor - mostly a sandy bottom so the reef fish wouldn't be interested.

The only snorkeling I've done on Kauai is at Lydgate in the protected pool. There are fish - we found them by the wall that separates the main pool from the keiki pool - but not a large variety and no coral; the pool is completely artificial. Still, it's safe and easy for the beginning snorkeler.

I've read that Ke'e beach beyond Hanalei is great for snorkeling, but haven't tried it. The road past Hanalei just opened again a few weeks ago after being closed for a year for repairs due to flooding. I've heard there's a permit system in place for Ke'e - investigate that before going so you don't get to the beach and have to turn around again. Ke'e is near the caves. We talked to a couple from Australia at Hanalei Bay who had come there from Ke'e - they had to turn away because they didn't have a permit. Hanalei Bay was fantastic for swimming but the snorkeling would be pretty poor - mostly a sandy bottom so the reef fish wouldn't be interested.

Thanks.

I have family friends that farm taro in Hanelei. In fact, the daughter is always on TV in ads or documentaries on the taro fields. I don't really know them well but maybe I'll see if they can recommend places. Maybe I'll just shoot an email to the boys and see if they have suggestions. That might be better actually. I know them better than the family friends.

We go to Lydgate every year. One of my favorite places.

Off to do some research.

Going to lunch today with the fam.
Then returning the rental car, then cooking up two tri-tips for family thank you dinner.
Tomorrow we fly back to Oahu.

Top Bottom