::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I had a high school history teacher make noises like a bomb dropping when I walked into his class on 12/7.

I just remember saying loudly, “my family has been here longer than yours, and aren’t you German?!”

I hope you know my post was not directed at you. Actually it never crossed my mind.

The concert was really good!
So much fun, we both felt like kids.
The only bummer was that Maoli did not show, and Jimmy Sweet played a set instead.
We were kinda bummed, that is one band we have been trying to see for YEARS.
J Boog and Siaosi were both so good though!
Really blew the roof off the joint!

Hi rob

Woke up for a nature call going to see if I can sneak in another 30 minutes of sleep.

Hi rob

Woke up for a nature call going to see if I can sneak in another 30 minutes of sleep.

That seems to happen to me at 4:45 am. My wake, or should I say get up, time is between 5:25 and 6:15 am.
The coffee pot is programed to start at 5:25.

Gray skies and a bit of drizzle. The phone says 50° right now.
Some Arctic air is supposed to push through this evening, I believe. Just for a few days and then back to about normal (average) temps.
We have about twelve days 'til winter it seems.

That seems to happen to me at 4:45 am. My wake, or should I say get up, time is between 5:25 and 6:15 am.
The coffee pot is programed to start at 5:25.

This also means that at 9 pm it's time to brush teeth take a couple of pills and get horizontal, usually reading my Kindle ( 7" Fire Tablet) until I drop it, then it's lights out and dream time. Sometimes the drop comes quite quickly. I try after reading a paragraph three times to skip the drop and continue on with the process.

made some glasses for work. I hope they are big enough and will sell. hope to make a few $100 extra this holiday season.

When I first read this I thought eyeglasses and I was going to be very impressed. I mean, I'm still always impressed by what you do, but still...eyeglasses would have been a whole new level.

I know. Dec 7th always brings back that memory and dozens of others that were the same.

My pediatrician from early childhood was Dr. Nomura. I think his family has been in the US about as long as yours. He was named medical director in the '80s. His secretary was Judy Parmenter. Judy A. Parmenter.

It was customary at the time that if a memo was sent out in an executive's name but was transcribed by their secretary that the secretary's full initials would be noted at the bottom. Judy followed protocol until Dr. Nomura asked her to please drop the middle initial, because having "jap" at the bottom of his memos was really uncomfortable, and understandably so!

I didn't understand why that was such a deal for Dr. Nomura when my dad first told us that story. I thought he was being petty. I'm so thankful that I have learned better.

My stupid Thanksgiving cold has been lingering too long. Mostly down to head boogers and a dry cough. I broke down and took codeine cough syrup at bedtime last night. I slept the sleep of the dead. Oh my gosh I slept well. The cough is about half what it was when I went to bed.

My pediatrician from early childhood was Dr. Nomura. I think his family has been in the US about as long as yours. He was named medical director in the '80s. His secretary was Judy Parmenter. Judy A. Parmenter.

It was customary at the time that if a memo was sent out in an executive's name but was transcribed by their secretary that the secretary's full initials would be noted at the bottom. Judy followed protocol until Dr. Nomura asked her to please drop the middle initial, because having "jap" at the bottom of his memos was really uncomfortable, and understandably so!

I didn't understand why that was such a deal for Dr. Nomura when my dad first told us that story. I thought he was being petty. I'm so thankful that I have learned better.

I guess I'm just old enough that I took a lot of teasing(?) about being Japanese.

In looking back, I did everything I could to distance myself from being Japanese. My son is the opposite. Being Asian in this area is now the majority/norm. Stuff I used to do, like ditch my bento box lunch on the way to school, is things he asks for, to fit in :)

we still have a long way to go though

My stupid Thanksgiving cold has been lingering too long. Mostly down to head boogers and a dry cough. I broke down and took codeine cough syrup at bedtime last night. I slept the sleep of the dead. Oh my gosh I slept well. The cough is about half what it was when I went to bed.

maybe one more night of zombie sleep will do the trick.

Feel better.

I guess I'm just old enough that I took a lot of teasing(?) about being Japanese.

In looking back, I did everything I could to distance myself from being Japanese. My son is the opposite. Being Asian in this area is now the majority/norm. Stuff I used to do, like ditch my bento box lunch on the way to school, is things he asks for, to fit in :)

I had to look up what a Bento box lunch was. It looks efficient. Back to my, get the most out of your resources. No wrappers or containers going to the land fill.

Last edited:
I had to look up what a Bento box lunch was. It looks efficient. Back to my, get the most out of your resources. No wrappers or containers going to the land fill.

But when your whole school is white and bringing sandwiches to school, you tend to stand out when you bust out a rice ball, pickled vegetables and pieces of chicken teriyaki :)

A long, long way to go. It can be hard to be hopeful sometimes, but I try to remember to look back at where we've come from...progress has been made.

Bought Christmas tree. Quick stop at the store and the car battery died. AAA says 90 minutes. Irony alert: I’m 50 feet from a AAA office.

Top Bottom