::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

One more day.

I can do this!

For whatever reason I'm finding since my heart stuff, I don't have nearly as much patience as I used to. It's not just 5th period, I just get fed up with the kids and their "you owe me" attitudes.

Maybe it's time to hang up the chalk?

For whatever reason I'm finding since my heart stuff, I don't have nearly as much patience as I used to. It's not just 5th period, I just get fed up with the kids and their "you owe me" attitudes.

The sooner the better. When can you start collecting?

I know a lot of people who feel that way and don't have heart problems.

Since we commute to school James does his homework on the way home and finishes up once we get home. In the morning he reads for thirty minutes on the way to school so I never have my radio on.

At home I'm correcting or making time to hang out with James and Mika.

Teachers, especially English teachers, really have no life during the school year.

I listen while I shower.

I've been telling my foods students for years that the rise of Celiac disease must be tied into the way we grow or process wheat. So many people don't all of a sudden start getting the disease without any explanation.

I read an article yesterday that is tying Round Up/Monsanto and the chemicals they use to the rise of celiacs.

Can I sue?

They mention one researcher who established a correlation between glyphosate and wheat - but correlation does NOT equal causation. Repeat that over and over and over. The site itself is a propaganda site of worthless value for objective evaluation of the issue.

I am not saying it's not an issue - I'm saying that this article provides no solid evidence that it is, but draws the conclusion that the correlation equals causation in this case. This is bad reporting and exists to support a bias.

Ooh baby, I love it when you talk critical thinking.

I know you're being funny - but there are way too many people who assume Monsanto = evil because Monsanto is successful at what they do. Just like people who claim that Nike is evil because they are successful and they use overseas labor therefore must be running slave labor sweatshops. Just like people who claim that Apple is evil because they are the biggest (or were until recently) company by market value.

Yes, large companies have been caught doing evil things. So have small and in-between companies, but the big ones get the attention because they're the most press-worthy. But just like correlation doesn't equal causation, corporate success doesn't equal evil doing in everything the company accomplishes. Stay objective, demand reputable, repeatable evidence. Demand peer review. Demand solid proof before making up your mind instead of relying on the phrase, "it just makes sense that..."

More, louder, yes, just like that!!

The FDA tested grains and found that fair amounts of glyphosate (the active ingredient found in RoundUp) were making their way into the final grains that are being used in foods including cereals.

The tests were duplicated by a non-profit (called the Environmental Working Group) with a result that 48 of 61 samples tested positive for glyphosate.

Glyphosate can be found in many herbicides. It was brought to market by Monsanto in 1974. Their patent expired in 2000.

If you read various studies and reports then you find that the testing results linking it to cancer and other issues is mixed and can be contradictory.

I know you're being funny - but there are way too many people who assume Monsanto = evil because Monsanto is successful at what they do. Just like people who claim that Nike is evil because they are successful and they use overseas labor therefore must be running slave labor sweatshops. Just like people who claim that Apple is evil because they are the biggest (or were until recently) company by market value.

Yes, large companies have been caught doing evil things. So have small and in-between companies, but the big ones get the attention because they're the most press-worthy. But just like correlation doesn't equal causation, corporate success doesn't equal evil doing in everything the company accomplishes. Stay objective, demand reputable, repeatable evidence. Demand peer review. Demand solid proof before making up your mind instead of relying on the phrase, "it just makes sense that..."

Kinda cool.

I just got a short email from Zach at the Ukulele Site telling me to hang out at the Kakaako store this year. I guess he's managing the store and working from there.

I feel lame that I still have not been there.

Maybe you are pissed off at your medical situation, or maybe it's a diet related thing.

Maybe you are pissed off at your medical situation, or maybe it's a diet related thing.

I don't know what it is.

Maybe I just need time to reset. I had the surgeries right at the first week of school so I didn't see my students for two weeks. Maybe it's like bonding with a new born because I don't feel connected to these kids this year. They're just butts in my desks really.

Without feeling that connectedness it's really just going through the motions and killing time. I don't see how burned out teachers hang on. I think after a summer off feeling good I'll be ready again next year.

Just having a busy/bad year.

I don't know what it is.

Maybe I just need time to reset. I had the surgeries right at the first week of school so I didn't see my students for two weeks. Maybe it's like bonding with a new born because I don't feel connected to these kids this year. They're just butts in my desks really.

Without feeling that connectedness it's really just going through the motions and killing time. I don't see how burned out teachers hang on. I think after a summer off feeling good I'll be ready again next year.

Just having a busy/bad year.

Oh man, this.

I think you're on to something about the bonding. You'd probably have had a little fun with them for a day or two before getting down to business. You and they both missed that. Besides, you have had a ton, make that several tons of personal concern on your plate. This isn't your year. Next year can be.

I wasn't burned out when I retired, but I had passed my peak with this congregation. If I had had to hang on for even another year I'd have gone crazy(ier). We have a generally open job market. But in practical terms once you pass 60 no congregation will give your application a second sniff. The only alternative is to stitch together a series of long-term temporary positions with diminished authority in marginally healthy churches. No thanks. I did a bunch of that mid-career. Didn't want a repeat.

That’s an awfully long time Gary.

the last 20+ in the classroom has flown by

this is the first time I'm having a difficult year and I really do think it's because I missed the first two weeks. My English kids are great except for a handful of point whores but I get that every year.

Top Bottom