::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Oh man, this.

I think you're on to something about the bonding. You'd probably have had a little fun with them for a day or two before getting down to business. You and they both missed that. Besides, you have had a ton, make that several tons of personal concern on your plate. This isn't your year. Next year can be.

I wasn't burned out when I retired, but I had passed my peak with this congregation. If I had had to hang on for even another year I'd have gone crazy(ier). We have a generally open job market. But in practical terms once you pass 60 no congregation will give your application a second sniff. The only alternative is to stitch together a series of long-term temporary positions with diminished authority in marginally healthy churches. No thanks. I did a bunch of that mid-career. Didn't want a repeat.

Teachers are forced to hang on because of the way the salary schedule is structured. Kind of the same thing, after a certain amount of time and a certain age, nobody is going to want you and you're stuck where you are. I really kept that in mind about 15 years back when I had an offer from another school district to jump to theirs. They were going to bump me up two years on the schedule to get me over (to match what I was already getting), and their salary schedule was loaded on the back end so that by the time I retired I would be making 20K more over there. I didn't go because I didn't want to get stuck. I was already 40 and wouldn't really have the option of shopping myself around much.

Glad I stuck it out here. Our district got sick of losing teachers to that district and started adding money to the tail end of the schedule to make it more attractive to stay in teaching and more importantly, stay in our district.

the last 20+ in the classroom has flown by

this is the first time I'm having a difficult year and I really do think it's because I missed the first two weeks. My English kids are great except for a handful of point whores but I get that every year.

Will you get a new load of kids after the symester break or are these year long kids? Either way you can start a whole new attitude after the break. Do something wild. Move the desks around. Hang new crap on your walls. Put the kids in new work groups. Take them outside one day a week to work in a new setting. Mix it up.
Kids LOVE change.

Will you get a new load of kids after the symester break or are these year long kids? Either way you can start a whole new attitude after the break. Do something wild. Move the desks around. Hang new crap on your walls. Put the kids in new work groups. Take them outside one day a week to work in a new setting. Mix it up.
Kids LOVE change.

Getting rid of a few wanna be hoodlums will probably do the trick. I got two more kicked out of my class. They won't be starting the new year with me.

Saw one of my kids I haven't seen in a while. I think he was in juvy? He came right up and gave me a hug. It's nice to see the ones who were nutso in middle school setting down in high school.

Boy, I killed the thread yesterday... and killed it today.

I'm going to take my toys and go home. ... if you can call Cooter's dead skunk a toy.

Saw one of my kids I haven't seen in a while. I think he was in juvy? He came right up and gave me a hug. It's nice to see the ones who were nutso in middle school setting down in high school.

My favorite is when the wannabe thugs come to visit after having been forced to enlist in the military. They come back so respectful, grown up and way more focused on what they want to do in life. They like to show their teachers they've changed.

Boy, I killed the thread yesterday... and killed it today.

I'm going to take my toys and go home. ... if you can call Cooter's dead skunk a toy.

You're not to blame.

The thread's been mostly dead for a while. We're the small group keeping it on life support.

So at the restaurant supply place this morning the girl was counting back my money and gave me two $2.00 bills.

"Apparently this is real money so I'm not giving you counterfeit or anything."

At a golf course snacker.

Me: Can I get a Gatorade?
Girl: What flavor?
Me: Original please.
Girl: ::blank stare::

So at the restaurant supply place this morning the girl was counting back my money and gave me two $2.00 bills.

"Apparently this is real money so I'm not giving you counterfeit or anything."

I've seen some 2's floating around lately. Not sure why it's becoming a thing.

There, now I can be the thread killer.

Gonna take the dog to the park real quick while it's still around 40 degrees.

Take out food during a power outage.

My boss said to use this but I don't know what it is.

It was an old credit card machine that you had to slide over the card with carbon paper.

I don't know what it is.

Maybe I just need time to reset. I had the surgeries right at the first week of school so I didn't see my students for two weeks. Maybe it's like bonding with a new born because I don't feel connected to these kids this year. They're just butts in my desks really.

Without feeling that connectedness it's really just going through the motions and killing time. I don't see how burned out teachers hang on. I think after a summer off feeling good I'll be ready again next year.

Just having a busy/bad year.

I can relate, psych nursing did the same thing to me. I'd take a LOA and go to Asia for several months and then go back to it, after years of it though, it just got harder to go to work.

I can relate, psych nursing did the same thing to me. I'd take a LOA and go to Asia for several months and then go back to it, after years of it though, it just got harder to go to work.

I like your current job better even though you have to deal with customs and CTIES.

Mike is one of those amazing human beings who wasn’t afraid to reinvent himself after realizing his established career no longer nurtured himself properly.

I wish more people would do that. Too many people stuck in a rut killing themselves and their souls everyday.

My favorite is when the wannabe thugs come to visit after having been forced to enlist in the military. They come back so respectful, grown up and way more focused on what they want to do in life. They like to show their teachers they've changed.

That's nice.

Top Bottom