::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

One of the hotels in Hawaii (either the Hilton or Marriot) has an aquaculture tank on display. They use fish underneath to provide nutrients to the water and grow lettuce and other produce on top in what looks like a bed of charcoal (it might be lava rock). The display says it's completely self supporting and only uses a small pump to recirculate the water. The fish eat some of the plants and in turn provide the nutrients for the crop. That would be cool to do.

There is a guy doing that on a pretty large scale on the west side, Kunia if you know where that is, sort of inland from my place (on the other side of H-1)
Anyway they set it up down a gentle slope,
The water flows down past all the roots of the plants, and the pump pumps it back up the hill, solar powered, so.it is completely self-sustaining and off-grid.
The only things added are fish food and water to cover evaporation. Really cool.

Pretty neat, the guy says 100,000 gallons of water in the system, and over the last year he has not had to add any water.
Why? Rainfall! 1" of rainfall = 7500 gallons, and will overflow the sump tank.
Check it out!

http://www.kuniacountryfarms.com/aquaponics

I’m pretty sure this is the same company that set up the display. The literature and pictures look very familiar.

I tried to get back to sleep after I woke up to pee but I just laid there for an hour.

At least I was warm and toasty. It's getting cold (for this area).

I tried to get back to sleep after I woke up to pee but I just laid there for an hour.

At least I was warm and toasty. It's getting cold (for this area).

Same here. It’s so nice to have a cool bedroom at night. I have the morning news on. They just said it’s going to be below the 70’s for the next week. And we’re getting rain on Thursday, yay!

There is a guy doing that on a pretty large scale on the west side, Kunia if you know where that is, sort of inland from my place (on the other side of H-1)
Anyway they set it up down a gentle slope,
The water flows down past all the roots of the plants, and the pump pumps it back up the hill, solar powered, so.it is completely self-sustaining and off-grid.
The only things added are fish food and water to cover evaporation. Really cool.

This is the way life should be in my fantasy world. Maybe each of us can do a little bit to move in this direction?

Just a thought.

Same here. It’s so nice to have a cool bedroom at night. I have the morning news on. They just said it’s going to be below the 70’s for the next week. And we’re getting rain on Thursday, yay!

Cold.

Not cool. I’m under two comforters and a fuzzy blanket. It’s cold up here and we turn down the heat at night. It’s supposed to rain up here today.

Cold.

Not cool. I’m under two comforters and a fuzzy blanket. It’s cold up here and we turn down the heat at night. It’s supposed to rain up here today.

Our cool and cold is something Don would consider down right balmy.

We had a bedroom door decide to rub/stick lately. Pain in the but to open and close. It's was rubbing on the top latch side.
I took the top hinge loose from the jamb and used a double thickness of a Kleenex box for a shim, using the hinge for a template. Punched three holes in the shim, for the screws, and reinstalled everything.
It's funny how sometimes you can repair something out of waste material and you're back in business.

The few times I’ve been in a snow fall I absolutely love how still and quiet it can be.

Everything in moderation, right?

Kinda like rain.
Too little and you have drought.
Too much and you have floods, landslides... or a need to build an ark?

Cold.

We sleep with our window open. Our furnace vent in our bedroom is closed. It's lovely.

About 20 degrees this morning, could not get the dog to come in, she loves it COLD!

That’s the temps she’s bred for I suppose. I can’t imagine how hot she must feel during your summer months. But that coat must insulate her from the heat as well as the cold.

Top Bottom