::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

We didn’t even have seat belts.

Looking back on it, I'm shocked I was able to ride to Camp Blue in that little cubbyhole. My dad was a seatbelt fanatic - he even had them installed in our cars before they were required by law. For some reason that road trip was different in his mind, I guess. Oh, well. I survived.

Please don't misunderstand my post on the safety belts and car seats. I believe they are good things. I was just commenting on how things were in the past.

I've been wearing seat belts since the late 50s. My father installed them in our cars. They were only lap belts then.

My dad was an intern at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis in the '50s when he was working in the ER and a guy was brought in post-traffic accident. It was a minor fender bender, but enough that the driver's door on his car popped open and he fell out - and hit his head. He didn't survive. That was the moment Dad became a seat belt fanatic.

Yes I agree about safety equipment, I always wear my seatbelt too. Just commenting that when I was a kid I rode around without them because there were no belts where I was riding!

I remember when the school bus got seatbelts when I was in fourth or fifth grade.

The only school buses I've ever seen that had seat belts were the short special ed buses - none of the big ones ever had them.

I remember a family trip in The Tank ('60s Chrysler station wagon) to Camp Blue in the Sierra Nevadas. As the youngest, I spent a lot of my time in my little cubbyhole among the luggage in back. If we'd been in a head-on collision I would have shot straight through the windshield and taken out a couple of people's heads along the way.

I was just thinking about that, I slept in one of those on the way to our Florida vacation.

I was just thinking about that, I slept in one of those on the way to our Florida vacation.

I always felt left out because we never had a station wagon. The first car I remember was a '57 Bel Air, and then a '64 Impala. The first car with seatbelts int he back was a '71 Mercury Monterey. I can't remember which car was first for shoulder belts.

Looking back on it, I'm shocked I was able to ride to Camp Blue in that little cubbyhole. My dad was a seatbelt fanatic - he even had them installed in our cars before they were required by law. For some reason that road trip was different in his mind, I guess. Oh, well. I survived.

As we’ve talked about previously, we had the same dad. We had seatbelts in all our cars. To not buckle up was never an option. Until 1971 when dad bought mom an MG Midget. I was the only kid left at home. Road trips in that two seater happened with me sitting in the non-seat in the back, most times with the top down. It was fabulous.

Sulfur it burns........

I got tired of walking into our staff bathroom (small room with a toilet and a sink; like a large stall) and having that smell of sh*t not very well masked by "Hawaiian Breeze" so I stopped at the store and bought a box of matchbooks. I left a couple in each of the bathrooms in my building. I hope people are old enough to know how to use them :eek:)

My dad was an intern at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis in the '50s when he was working in the ER and a guy was brought in post-traffic accident. It was a minor fender bender, but enough that the driver's door on his car popped open and he fell out - and hit his head. He didn't survive. That was the moment Dad became a seat belt fanatic.

My dad was a tanker driver for Mobil Oil. He saw scary s**. About 1972 he became the fleet instructor for the 7 western states because his driving record was impeccable, he had over a million safe miles with the company, (I think my brother has his watch). He used to bring home his work films to share with us kids. They were highway patrol films of the aftermath of accidents. I remember one specifically. They were interviewing a woman at an accident. She was holding her young dead sons body, she was crying. They asked her why he hadn’t been in a seatbelt. She said she thought it would be cruel to tie him down.

That stuck with me.

I got tired of walking into our staff bathroom (small room with a toilet and a sink; like a large stall) and having that smell of sh*t not very well masked by "Hawaiian Breeze" so I stopped at the store and bought a box of matchbooks. I left a couple in each of the bathrooms in my building. I hope people are old enough to know how to use them :eek:)

We burn insence in the office bathroom at the school. Works great.

I keep that orange oil spray in the school bathrooms. That stuff works and you don’t need much. It’s super powerful.

Last edited:
My dad was a tanker driver for Mobil Oil. He saw scary s**. About 1972 he became the fleet instructor for the 7 western states because his driving record was impeccable, he had over a million safe miles with the company, (I think my brother has his watch). He used to bring home his work films to share with us kids. They were highway patrol films of the aftermath of accidents. I remember one specifically. They were interviewing a woman at an accident. She was holding her young dead sons body, she was crying. They asked her why he hadn’t been in a seatbelt. She said she thought it would be cruel to tie him down.

That stuck with me.

I drive at about 20mph down residential streets because I saw the gruesome aftermath of a pedestrian hit by a car right in front of my house. Seconds after it happened I was outside with a bunch of other neighbors from up and down the street. It was gross. Then about 40' away I saw a child's shoe so I yelled out "There might be a kid that got hit too." We were all looking around and underneath the car I was standing behind I could see the little foot of the toddler who had been in his mother's arms. By that time the firemen had just arrived and they ran over to help us lift the car to get to the baby.

I couldn't sleep for weeks.

And I never drive fast down residential streets any more.

Thanks.

I'll look for that stuff. Need elimination not cover up. It's ewwww.

You need Poo-Pourri!!!

PP-004_600x600_d46ac35e-c9b5-4687-96ee-f828514da861_grande.jpg

Hi, PoHos! We're safe in our hotel in South Carolina, on our way to Florida. We spent an extra night at my daughter's house to avoid driving south into the big storm....

Last edited:
Hi, PoHos! We're safe in our hotel in South Carolina, in our way to Florida. We spent an extra night at my daughter's house to avoid driving south into the big storm....

Did you remember to bring your snowshoes?

Top Bottom