Page 1777 of 1876 FirstFirst ... 77712771677172717671775177617771778177917871827 ... LastLast
Results 17,761 to 17,770 of 18759

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulelerob View Post
    Question of the day:

Do you think electric vehicles are the future?
    They have conquered the range problem - it's easy to find models with a range over 200 miles now. They just have to take care of charging times and I think they become totally mainstream. LOTS of electric cars in my part of the country these days. Actually, my brother lives in Normal, IL (he doesn't know Ukeeku, unfortunately) and works in Decatur - 100 mile round trip or so. He drives a Chevy Bolt (full electric) and has no issues with range.
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Also it looks like the standard sedan is going away and we are going to be driving crossovers, SUVs and trucks.
    Yup, Ford has announced that when their sedans reach the end of their model lives they will be phased out in favor of crossovers. I prefer the driving position of crossovers - I love my RAV4 and someday when I can afford to replace it I will get another small crossover - possibly an electric one like the Hyundai Kona electric.
    The PoHo Store

I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

I think 90% or more of my journeys could be handled by a electric vehicle.
    In the last couple of days I've seen a Tesla Model S from New Jersey and a Model 3 from Florida - so with planning they have become capable of cross-country trips.
    The PoHo Store

Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    My guess is that safety studies prove that humans make more mistakes than computers
    Some day if the autonomous vehicles can all communicate with each other and completely remove humans from the driving decisions then it may be much safer - as long as humans are part of the decision making process in traffic there will be accidents.

Of course, if the autonomous vehicles take over transportation than a big source of joy in my life is gone - because there aren't many things I love more than driving along a beautiful, winding, mountain road.
    The PoHo Store

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    In the last couple of days I've seen a Tesla Model S from New Jersey and a Model 3 from Florida - so with planning they have become capable of cross-country trips.
    There is a 1954 VW bug that has been restored and fit with Tesla batteries around here. I was going to try to snap a picture for Don but I dropped my phone and then the light changed.
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

Question of the day:

Do you think electric vehicles are the future?
    Depends on if we survive long enough into the future.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    This is true. I was surprised to see the recent moves by auto makers to discontinue sedans. I guess they need to build what sells the best....
    This is only in the US, sedans and hatchbacks sell just fine everywhere else.
    Trucks are also way more profitable.
    Why do you think we have SUVs from Porsche, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls-Royce...

Because people buy them.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I believe electric vehicles are ready now.
    There are plenty with similar range to a regular car now.
    The only major difference is charging time.
    It only takes a few minutes to fill a car with gas, but several minutes (or hours) to recharge a car.
    As battery and charger tech improves, there will no longer be an advantage to gasoline.
    Many cities in Europe are banning gasoline cars in the very near future, for pollution reasons.
    All the heavy equipment manufacturers are building buses, garbage trucks, dozers, etc. to be ready for this

I still think there will be a market for gasoline cars though, but they may become niche/enthusiast cars.

In my opinion the biggest hurdle to self driving cars (at least in the US) is a legal issue.
    If a car is going down the road, and has to avoid an unexpected obstacle, and must decide between possibly killing a pedestrian or killing the occupant of the car, how do you decide? And who is liable for that decision? The owner of the car? The manufacturer? That is where it gets sticky.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    This is only in the US, sedans and hatchbacks sell just fine everywhere else.
    Trucks are also way more profitable.
    Why do you think we have SUVs from Porsche, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls-Royce...

Because people buy them.
    . . . and soon Tesla.

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Here are a couple of concept designs. The article I saw said they haven't decided on a design yet.

ttw.jpg
    tt.jpg

Passionately Untalented

Thread Information