::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I am really sick of picking cherry tomatoes, we've frozen bags and bags of them already. Same with Thai chilis, oodles! I planted some flat white Boer pumpkins this year, looks like they will be productive. Watermelons are already harvested, corn is long gone. My biggest success this year is papayas, I managed to grow papayas and get them to fruit in Indiana!

I am really sick of picking cherry tomatoes, we've frozen bags and bags of them already. Same with Thai chilis, oodles! I planted some flat white Boer pumpkins this year, looks like they will be productive. Watermelons are already harvested, corn is long gone. My biggest success this year is papayas, I managed to grow papayas and get them to fruit in Indiana!

That is amazing. Is it in your greenhouse or outside?

I want a mango tree. I love mangoes but every year I forget to buy one of those mango shoots to plant and I haven't bothered to look for one at a nursery.

My classes are doing the "stranded" activity as a precursor to Lord of the Flies.

Pretty interesting to observe the different dynamics of each class. My first period class would die before the end of the week. This class is the opposite. They immediately agreed on a leader and while there are some little side conversations going on, he has the majority of the class engaged and participating.

I've noticed over the years that when a female takes the leadership role there is always a group of boys that splinter off (usually and stereotypically it's the "jocks") and while they might not openly oppose the leadership they make it difficult to lead by yelling out stupid comments and kind of commandeer the attention to themselves.

I want a mango tree. I love mangoes but every year I forget to buy one of those mango shoots to plant and I haven't bothered to look for one at a nursery.

Try planting a seed or two. I've sprouted all sorts of weird stuff from seed, jack fruit, avocados, custard apple, citrus.

My classes are doing the "stranded" activity as a precursor to Lord of the Flies.

Pretty interesting to observe the different dynamics of each class. My first period class would die before the end of the week. This class is the opposite. They immediately agreed on a leader and while there are some little side conversations going on, he has the majority of the class engaged and participating.

I've noticed over the years that when a female takes the leadership role there is always a group of boys that splinter off (usually and stereotypically it's the "jocks") and while they might not openly oppose the leadership they make it difficult to lead by yelling out stupid comments and kind of commandeer the attention to themselves.

Fascinating, got to wonder how the home dynamics come into play.

Greenhouse, our outside garden is an overgrown mess.

That's why you have a tractor! :)

My great uncles used to plant daikon radish and burdock (gobo in Japanese) and harvest it with a tractor instead of digging them up. I used to think that was awesome when I was a kid.

You know what's crazy to me? I was driving tractors when I was ten (as soon as I was old/heavy enough to depress the clutch). I used to drive into town (12 miles each way) for groceries when I was 12. I look at James at 12 and he can barely cook himself a grilled cheese sandwich. I knew how to do so many things when I was his age because I grew up on orchards. He can barely ride a bike. I always wonder what affect that will have on his life in the long run?

I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same but just different circumstances. He doesn't need to know how to do most all of the stuff I learned. Different times, different skills.

Try planting a seed or two. I've sprouted all sorts of weird stuff from seed, jack fruit, avocados, custard apple, citrus.

I think I'll give it a try. There's probably a YouTube on how to grow a mango from seed. Those videos and the ones for sewing fascinate me for some reason.

That's why you have a tractor! :)

My great uncles used to plant daikon radish and burdock (gobo in Japanese) and harvest it with a tractor instead of digging them up. I used to think that was awesome when I was a kid.

You know what's crazy to me? I was driving tractors when I was ten (as soon as I was old/heavy enough to depress the clutch). I used to drive into town (12 miles each way) for groceries when I was 12. I look at James at 12 and he can barely cook himself a grilled cheese sandwich. I knew how to do so many things when I was his age because I grew up on orchards. He can barely ride a bike. I always wonder what affect that will have on his life in the long run?

I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same but just different circumstances. He doesn't need to know how to do most all of the stuff I learned. Different times, different skills.

Don't get me started on tractors, both of my 8N's are not running at the moment. Both had a carburetor go bad, got one fixed and now the water pump failed.

I grew up in suburbs, my dad was old by the time I came around. I learned no practical skills. I learned all my stuff after I moved to the sticks.

Matt has no interest in the tractor or chainsaw or any of that stuff. He is learning some car stuff since he is driving, but not a country kid.

Messed up my back last week scoring some road-side firewood. Finally back to a point where I can function again. It is easy to see why people with back problems end up hook
ed on pills. Back pain sucks.

Fascinating, got to wonder how the home dynamics come into play.

This particular class is fascinating. They unanimously turned to one kid and asked him how he wanted them to organize. This class is for the most part cooperating with each other and thinking over their rules and consequences thoughtfully. There are the isolated kids that always yell out comments for laughs and interestingly enough, I've found that over the years that those are the kids who wanted to be "leader" whether they admitted it to the class or even themselves. You can see their desire to have the classes attention

I wish I had a better background in psychology to understand their behavior.

Besides "man is inherently evil" I mean. :)

Don't get me started on tractors, both of my 8N's are not running at the moment. Both had a carburetor go bad, got one fixed and now the water pump failed.

I grew up in suburbs, my dad was old by the time I came around. I learned no practical skills. I learned all my stuff after I moved to the sticks.

Matt has no interest in the tractor or chainsaw or any of that stuff. He is learning some car stuff since he is driving, but not a country kid.

If I were Matt I would have gotten in trouble for taking apart the tractor by now. When I was 12 my dad bought me a brand new Yamaha YZ 125. We unloaded it and he went in the house. When he came out a couple hours later to see what I was doing I had the bike stripped down to the frame. Hadn't even started it yet.

His fault. He told me I had to know everything about working on bikes/motors if I was going to race them. Actually he was pretty impressed after he got over his initial anger. I had sketched how things came apart when I knew I might not remember or didn't know how it worked. A cell phone with a camera would have saved a ton of time :)

Messed up my back last week scoring some road-side firewood. Finally back to a point where I can function again. It is easy to see why people with back problems end up hook

Hope you feel better quickly Mike.

But...papayas are trees! Are there dwarf papayas that will fit in the greenhouse?

I have successfully sprouted avocados and gotten them to grow in a pot in the past; obviously they don't grow to full, fruiting size since they have to be a house plant in the NW.

I have successfully sprouted avocados and gotten them to grow in a pot in the past; obviously they don't grow to full, fruiting size since they have to be a house plant in the NW.

I think you need two avocado trees to pollinate each otherwise no fruit. I remember being told that when I was little.

It really effect everything!

Mine? Huh? I probably posted too early!

I GOT THE K!!!

IT IS LIKE THE OLD DAYS AGAIN! MINE MINE MINE!!!! ALL MINE!

MY K!

Back off! IT IS MINE!

Top Bottom