::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

In another life I was part of management in a small family company that manufactured steel doors and frames. We had 2 unions in the shop. The painters were in the Machinists Union. Everybody else was an Ironworker. As "plant engineer" I had to keep them all on their proper tasks without doing any actual work myself. I was also the safety engineer so I had to keep OSHA and the insurance company happy.

Every three years the union contracts came up for renewal. The negotiation was always a set-piece drama. I was embarrassed to be management. The president of the company (my then uncle by marriage) would act as though every damned one of his employees was lucky to have a job; they should stand down and get back to work. All this as if he could make the product without them. Out of 35 plant employees there were only 3 who were considered unskilled trainees. We had skilled welders, metal workers (shears, punch presses, and press brakes capable of hundreds of pounds of pressure) painters &c. No way could the rest of us non-union employees, 9 in all, have made a single part for our product.

I understood that he was trying to limit costs, but who the hell did he think was going to build those doors.

The worker is not the enemy.

That's what I always say about teaching. The people who control the money in education (publishers; politicians) would like you to believe that everything wrong with education is the fault of the teacher. Sadly, there are enough morons in this world that believe the rhetoric. Eliminating the unnecessary upper level positions (the ones that make all the money in jobs created so they could have a job) would free up money to spend on #1 Teachers and #2 Facilities.

Raising teacher pay to a desirable level would cure many of the "bad teacher" rhetoric that exists because now there would be a natural competition for the job. Instead of the best and brightest blowing off a teaching career to pursue a more profitable calling, they would teach and there would be more competition for jobs and therefore the less capable teachers would be naturally forced out. It would also restore respect to the profession and make teaching desirable again. There are a whole list of things it would do to improve the education system but I've been on this soapbox before.

#2: for the past twenty years my school has been in a constant state of construction and remodel but we're an anomaly. There are schools all over the country that haven't experienced any type of modernization or repair in that same amount of time. Could you imagine having thousands of people in your home every day for twenty years and not spending any money for upkeep? That's what's happening in too many places in our country. I believe one of the reasons my school is ranked so high is because we spend the money on facilities and our school feels clean, safe and like an institute of learning. Hard to learn if most of your lights are broken, ceiling panels are missing and stained and the heat/AC is non-existent, water fountains don't work, toilets are gross etc.

So much to rant about.

::sigh::

That's what I always say about teaching. The people who control the money in education (publishers; politicians) would like you to believe that everything wrong with education is the fault of the teacher. Sadly, there are enough morons in this world that believe the rhetoric. Eliminating the unnecessary upper level positions (the ones that make all the money in jobs created so they could have a job) would free up money to spend on #1 Teachers and #2 Facilities.

Raising teacher pay to a desirable level would cure many of the "bad teacher" rhetoric that exists because now there would be a natural competition for the job. Instead of the best and brightest blowing off a teaching career to pursue a more profitable calling, they would teach and there would be more competition for jobs and therefore the less capable teachers would be naturally forced out. It would also restore respect to the profession and make teaching desirable again. There are a whole list of things it would do to improve the education system but I've been on this soapbox before.

#2: for the past twenty years my school has been in a constant state of construction and remodel but we're an anomaly. There are schools all over the country that haven't experienced any type of modernization or repair in that same amount of time. Could you imagine having thousands of people in your home every day for twenty years and not spending any money for upkeep? That's what's happening in too many places in our country. I believe one of the reasons my school is ranked so high is because we spend the money on facilities and our school feels clean, safe and like an institute of learning. Hard to learn if most of your lights are broken, ceiling panels are missing and stained and the heat/AC is non-existent, water fountains don't work, toilets are gross etc.

So much to rant about.

Oh, and this rant started because Padre's quote reminded me of something I said in a district newsletter interview a few years back. "Blaming the teacher for what's wrong with education is like blaming a soldier for losing a war."

So much to rant about.

Because you're just up the road from the Winchester Mystery House.

I got all Sally on carbs yesterday.

54g all day
just under 1000 calories

LOTS of water. Shooting for the same today but we're going to Benihanas for Mika's birthday tonight. I should be okay if I don't have any rice. All the other carbs will come from condiments/sauces and I cut down on those anyhow because of the sodium content.

Going to shoot for vegan-ish meals for breakfast and lunch for a while to see how I do with blood sugar. Yesterday my high was 169 about 30 mins. after my breakfast. Today it shot up to 200 60 minutes after eating but now two hours later it is 159 and dropping. It's supposed to be under 130 two hours after a meal. I think I just ate too much (more than 1C oatmeal). Lunch will be sautéed shaved Brussels sprouts and dinner I'll probably order chicken and shrimp (my usual Benihana combo) and try to eat only half. I've got a pretty good handle on sodium now I need to really get after my carbs.

Hopefully the weight will start taking care of itself as my meal size becomes smaller.

Watching Morgan Spurlock: 30 Days on Minimum Wage with my kids.

Pretty eye opening for them.

Oh, yeah, a few days ago it drizzled.

Lubbock was getting fun weather yesterday.

Longview (east side of Dallas)...well, they had wind. Lots and lots and lots of wind.

Kingwood (down by Houston) had rain. Lots and lots and lots of rain.

We had massive hail here about 2 weeks ago. They're talking about $200M worth of damages. We didn't get any, but some people up at church got hammered. Cars totaled.

Sunny and 81 here today. Weather perfection continues - though that thermometer is approaching "too hot". I noticed we're starting a red flag warning as of 1:00 p.m. today, too, which means it's going to get hotter and the east wind is going to start blowing, meaning fire danger. THAT I can do without.

Sunny and 81 here today. Weather perfection continues - though that thermometer is approaching "too hot". I noticed we're starting a red flag warning as of 1:00 p.m. today, too, which means it's going to get hotter and the east wind is going to start blowing, meaning fire danger. THAT I can do without.

Oops - I rechecked the forecast. Sunny and 84. The temperature has tipped into the "too hot" side of things. Weather perfection terminated due to unusually cheery weather.

Great discussion on working poor.

Kids picked up on the 1% having too much power/control and that blaming the poor for being poor is playing into the 1%'s strategy.

I guess entitled kids are vaguely aware of their entitlement.

Hey Gary,
I sent Matt to the bank today to cash his tax refund. He was very hesitant even though we went through it a few months ago, he was nervous about it. I think kids definitely need some coaching on bank stuff.

Hey Gary,
I sent Matt to the bank today to cash his tax refund. He was very hesitant even though we went through it a few months ago, he was nervous about it. I think kids definitely need some coaching on bank stuff.

Mika takes a picture of the check with her phone and it deposits to our account. What's to teach? :biglaugh:

I definitely have banking on my list. Thanks.

I got all Sally on carbs yesterday.

54g all day
just under 1000 calories

LOTS of water. Shooting for the same today but we're going to Benihanas for Mika's birthday tonight. I should be okay if I don't have any rice. All the other carbs will come from condiments/sauces and I cut down on those anyhow because of the sodium content.

You go Gary!

Regarding increasing veggies. I read on a keto page something I’ve been trying. For all your meals place your protein; eggs, chicken, fish, steak, whatever, on a huge pile of leafy greens; spinach, kale, or green mix of any kind.

I’ve been doing this at least once a day, sometimes all my meals. I top it with some sliced tomatoes or sautéed zucchini or mushrooms and a couple tablespoons of tapenade.

Just trying to eat more leafy greens.

Top Bottom