::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

He pokes his head in the bedroom door and quietly says, “Hey Pop.” B V-B got here about half an hour ago after driving all night. RL Kid stayed up all night to let him in. Sure is good to see him.

Funny thing about RL Kid, he just wants the contact. Once his brother arrived he was cool. Waited about 5 minutes to follow him upstairs, then hit the sack himself.

Not unless they are certified gf. Like Bob's red mill.

The problem is that oats are gf themselves but they are often shipped and processed in the same facilities as wheat. So they are considered "contaminated from the source".

We toured Bob's Red Mill's facilities a couple years ago. They have two totally separate buildings. People are allowed to tour the facility that handles gluten-containing products, but not the gluten free building. Everything in the GF processing building is kept completely separate from the other one - from entry of the grain through the packaging the entire line stays totally uncontaminated.

They're a great company (and based in the Portland metro area!). Bob gave the company to his employees to celebrate his 81st birthday. He still shows up at the company store all the time to visit with customers.

I have my phone on the projector through Apple TV. My kids are teaching me how to use Instagram to market our chocolate chip cookies.

They're really into teaching the teacher, it's funny.

How many miles are the islands apart?

It varies. The way the islands were formed, you know there is really only one volcano, at the bottom of the ocean, and plate tectonics moves over the same "hole" in the crust. So the islands form this arc.
Kauai is the oldest main island, at the North West end of the arc. Its south-east coast is about 70 miles from the north-west coast of Oahu, the next island in the line and the island I live on. Molokai, Lana`i, and Maui are all very close to each other, About 8 miles separate those three from each other, and Molokai, the closest to Oahu, is about 30 miles away. Then the Big Island, Hawaii, is about 30 miles south of Maui. So the flight from Oahu to Lana`i is about 20 minutes on a turboprop aircraft, total distance about 75 miles. From Honolulu to Kona is about 160 miles. From Kauai to Big Island is about 300 miles.

There are more islands to the North of Hawaii, like Midway, in the same archipelago formed by the same volcano. Those islands are much older and flatter due to erosion. Maui and Bog Island have the highest mountains because they are the youngest islands. Some of those Northern islands are little more than sandbars.

Hawaii is the most isolated group of islands on the planet, no major land mass for over 2300 miles in any direction.

Interestingly enough, the Big Island is really big - all the other islands can "fit" inside it. There is a new island bubbling up from the sea floor off the coast of the Big Island, it already has a name, Lo`ihi. I am no geologist, but this most recent eruption last year seems to have shut off the lava flow at Kilauea, the volcano that has been continuously erupting for the last 30+ years. I would not be surprised at all if the plate has now shifted in such a way that more lava is heading towards Lo`ihi now. It is now about 1 Km below sea level, and they say that in the next 10,000 to 100,000 years it will breach the surface.
So buy your beachfront property now!

As much as I love the mental image of Dexy's Midnight Runners overalls and armpits, the song Come On Eileen does not belong on "Classic Rewind" (cassette tape era rock; pandora).

This is what I deal with on a daily basis.

"Mr. Yoshida, the recipe says 'bake at 350*F for 25-30 minutes. How do we know if it's 25 or 30?"

This is what I deal with on a daily basis.

"Mr. Yoshida, the recipe says 'bake at 350*F for 25-30 minutes. How do we know if it's 25 or 30?"

It amazed me how little these kids venture into the kitchen, my own son included. I was always interested when people were cooking.

Maybe that explains the girth.

As much as I love the mental image of Dexy's Midnight Runners overalls and armpits, the song Come On Eileen does not belong on "Classic Rewind" (cassette tape era rock; pandora).

What's worse than Grease on Olivia Newton-John?

Last edited:
Go back and re-read the message that I quoted.

e69.jpg

We toured Bob's Red Mill's facilities a couple years ago. They have two totally separate buildings. People are allowed to tour the facility that handles gluten-containing products, but not the gluten free building. Everything in the GF processing building is kept completely separate from the other one - from entry of the grain through the packaging the entire line stays totally uncontaminated.

They're a great company (and based in the Portland metro area!). Bob gave the company to his employees to celebrate his 81st birthday. He still shows up at the company store all the time to visit with customers.

Aww, I love that.

Top Bottom