::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Hawaiian Airlines awards 75 miles for the flight. Using that distance and the airborne time of 20 minutes, works out to 225 MPH average speed.

There ya go. Not that any of this matters. But it was nice talking about it.
I think the fastest I've traveled was maybe 110 mph or so. But that was on four wheels, and illegal.

I quit motorcycles in the eighties, thinking I might end up looking like a bug on a windshield.
I enjoyed twisting the right grip too much.

I was thinking about how crowded it seems around here sometimes. When I was born there were 152.3 million people in the US. Now more than 327 million. That's more than 2X in near seventy years. Which is just a blink in world history. Of course the population of the planet has tripled in that same period of time.

That makes me think about resources/need ratio. A dystopian future? Colonies on other planets?

QOTD:
Wad da ya think?

I was thinking about how crowded it seems around here sometimes. When I was born there were 152.3 million people in the US. Now more than 327 million. That's more than 2X in near seventy years. Which is just a blink in world history. Of course the population of the planet has tripled in that same period of time.

That makes me think about resources/need ratio. A dystopian future? Colonies on other planets?

QOTD:
Wad da ya think?

We’re already in a dystopian future and it will get worse before it gets better. As for colonies on other planets, I’m all for it. I can’t imagine humanity reaching the necessary level of altruistic cooperation to bring it to pass.

We’re already in a dystopian future and it will get worse before it gets better. As for colonies on other planets, I’m all for it. I can’t imagine humanity reaching the necessary level of altruistic cooperation to bring it to pass.

More like private corporations, to make a profit?

Money talks and BS walks.

QOTD:
Wad da ya think?

Well...Soylent Green is people.

Seriously, though - I believe the population growth rate is exponential and is going to be a real problem real soon. I don't know a lot of the answers, but I do reflect sometimes on our place in the US as one of the most privileged populations in the world. We have the luxury to complain about GMO crops and pesticides and to buy organic this and that while other societies just want - and need - something to eat. We have a hideous imbalance of power and privilege on this planet and I don't know what to do about that. But I am afraid that the planet's ability to support this human population is coming to a breaking point and we need to do something before it breaks and crashes catastrophically. A controlled crash landing is better than plowing in nose first.

rock_climbing_cake_1web.jpg

So yesterday I was lecturing in class and I was saying I needed a floppy disk reader because I had a bunch at home and I didn't know what was stored on them. I held one up for the class to see and asked if anyone had seen one before. This girl who hadn't really been paying attention looks up and says "OMG! You have a 'save' icon!! Where did you find it? That would go perfect with my 'easy' button!"

Only two students out of thirty-one knew what it was.

So yesterday I was lecturing in class and I was saying I needed a floppy disk reader because I had a bunch at home and I didn't know what was stored on them. I held one up for the class to see and asked if anyone had seen one before. This girl who hadn't really been paying attention looks up and says "OMG! You have a 'save' icon!! Where did you find it? That would go perfect with my 'easy' button!"

Only two students out of thirty-one knew what it was.

I remember creating a hard copy recovery "disk" for a Windows95 computer once. It took 33 disks to hold the whole thing.

\m/ahalo for the birthday wishes guys!
I can't believe I spaced on Stephen's this year!

Anyway music at Canoe Hut tonight I can't wait will be a blast I wish you all could come!

I remember installing Windows on customer PCs - all 31 floppies. Took a looooong time.

What would really suck is when you got a read error on disk 29...

I remember installing Windows on customer PCs - all 31 floppies. Took a looooong time.

What would really suck is when you got a read error on disk 29...

In 1981 I was walking with a buddy across campus at SJSU and he dropped his stack of punched cards.

He was seriously on the verge of tears.

Well...Soylent Green is people.

Seriously, though - I believe the population growth rate is exponential and is going to be a real problem real soon. I don't know a lot of the answers, but I do reflect sometimes on our place in the US as one of the most privileged populations in the world. We have the luxury to complain about GMO crops and pesticides and to buy organic this and that while other societies just want - and need - something to eat. We have a hideous imbalance of power and privilege on this planet and I don't know what to do about that. But I am afraid that the planet's ability to support this human population is coming to a breaking point and we need to do something before it breaks and crashes catastrophically. A controlled crash landing is better than plowing in nose first.

The human infestation? Call the exterminator?

One child per couple. If one of the pair has produced an offspring they're done.

Top Bottom