::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Kinda like Castor oil?

Don't know if castor oil will make the people around you regret you drinking it like the Trader Joe's garlic olive oil. In any volume that stuff will make you sweat garlic. It's delicious, but potent.

No babies left in strollers yesterday.

I’m starting to think there’s “California Fat” and “Mid-West Fat” by chatting with people in lines. “California Fat” seems to be a more “solid” fat if that makes sense (in shape fat?).

Had dinner at Blur Bayou. Way overpriced and over rated if you ask me.

I used to love Blur Bayou but I found as I got older I just couldn't keep things in focus.

I used to love Blur Bayou but I found as I got older I just couldn't keep things in focus.

But seriously...I used to love BLUE Bayou - the Monte Cristo sandwiches were awesome. But the last time we went (which will probably be the last time) I swear they'd packed in 50% more tables than before and the food quality had slid badly - the Monte Cristo was soggy. It used to be fun just to be in there watching the Pirates of the Caribbean boats go by, but it's so tight now it's just downright unpleasant.

Yes, my fondness for Blur Bayou (and the Monte Cristo) have both faded, similar to Mr. Curtis' explication.

Huge storm rumbled through last night.
Thunder woke us up rattling the house.
Power went out three times.
A little groggy this am.

Yes! If I wasn't A) old, B) finishing up education for a completely different vocation, C) unwilling to move to the Pasadena area then I would have considered applying.

Never mind. No I wouldn't have.

I grew up with Kaiser from infancy. Entering the larger world of medical care was a shock and disappointment. Seeing them extend their vertical integration in the provider sector is an amazing development.

This is a more dramatic example, but kinda how I feel about the new Formula One engines versus the old Formula One engines.

This is a more dramatic example, but kinda how I feel about the new Formula One engines versus the old Formula One engines.

I tried to watch Formula E once. Bored not just the crap, but the will to live out of me. Pure BS. Just wait until all the major autonomous players start staging driverless races. I may have to start watching paint dry.

I grew up with Kaiser from infancy. Entering the larger world of medical care was a shock and disappointment. Seeing them extend their vertical integration in the provider sector is an amazing development.

I am not a fan of my job, but I am a huge fan of the company; the corporate philosophy is to promote health for everyone possible. We're not-for-profit, so if anybody ever sees or hears of people arguing about Kaiser's huge "profits" it's BS. We do have operating revenue - we have to pay the bills and the staff after all. And we end up with an operating "surplus" at the end of every year that is then turned around and put back into facilities, research, and community benefit.

Kaiser is one of the most diverse companies in the country and has received a lot of recognition for that; the diversity goes right to the top of the organization (no glass ceilings here!). Our CEO is an African-American man. Our CFO is a woman. Our CIO is an African-American man. I work in a building where caucasians are a minority. We have employee organizations for pretty much every interest/cultural/orientation group you can think of. I love that I can go to the break room and hear people speaking in a multitude of languages.

I am excited to see what becomes of the medical school - they will be teaching doctors the Kaiser way; prevention of disease is better than treatment of disease. Letting the providers direct a patient's care is better than making them work with insurance claims people before being able to authorize treatment. Training new physicians to work as members of a health care team instead of letting them believe they are the monarchs of the hospital lets every patient care profession do what they do best.

The system isn't without its flaws, of course, but most of the complaints I hear from people about the Kaiser system come because people for some reason think they don't have choices here. Like every organization, we're made up of individuals who sometimes miss the mark; when that happens the member has options.

Sigh. I was born at a Kaiser hospital and later volunteered there with my mom during school vacations. My first Kaiser job was in that hospital. I have worked here 32 years and even though I hate my current job it's not because of the organization. Kaiser is tops as far as I'm concerned.

Mrs Pere had a stellar Ob-Gyn during our infertility years. Great personality, deeply caring, highly skilled.

On my way home today Nanilei got a phone call from her mom to hurry up and get to California.
Grams is in hospice.
Changing flights will cost over $600 I don't have.
Hawaiian Airlines says make a medical emergency fee waiver request. Requires a form I must print out, sign, scan, and return to them.
No printer at the house (I work in tech, whatever I need to print I can print at work) gah now it has to wait until tomorrow.
Lots of anxiety around here.
We will likely apply some whiskey and take another crack at it tomorrow.
Probably fly out this weekend.
Mojo for Grams to hang in there please.
Aloha and love to you all.

In other news, we successfully obtained our second Shingles vaccinations, so we got that going for us.

Top Bottom