Page 1791 of 1791 FirstFirst ... 7911291169117411781178917901791
Results 17,901 to 17,910 of 17910

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    A friend of mine lives at about 7000 feet in your general area. He said this morning they have a foot of wet, heavy snow and the power keeps coming and going. Blecch.
    Yep. We have lots of battery backups spread around the house.

Huh. Maybe Gary really does know how to cook.
    I make a mean TopRamen.
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

Quote Originally Posted by spots View Post
    What is not awesome is how computerized vehicles have become.

We got a recall letter for a brakelight switch for one of our vehicles. The letter had a short list of "side effects" of the recalled part. Really. One of the potential issues that could result was, "Starting a vehicle equipped with push-button ignition." As in, you couldn't start such a vehicle.

I had been telling Mrs. Spots for a while that I am not a fan of push-button ignitions. I like keys attached to real switches where connections really get connected and disconnected.

So we get this letter in the mail and a week after it comes Mrs. Spots is out doing things on Friday night, you know your typical Friday night stuff like attending a seminar on mountain lion behavior and how to work with them in the back country. Seminar ends and Mrs. Spots is stopping to get dinner to bring home.

And then I get the call... "Um, dearest most wonderful husband in the entire world (that would be me in case you are wondering), I have the food, but now the car won't start."

Now Mrs. Spots is a smart woman. She's already determined that the battery is charged. Has run through some key fob diagnostics steps. Has looked up the various (useless) error codes in the Owner's Manual. And nothing works.

So I head into town to try a few more things. On the way in Mrs. Spots calls and tells me she's pulled out the jumper cables from the spare tire area so we can double check the battery (see, I told you she was smart).

We try the jumper cables. We try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU. We replace the key-fob battery. Check and replace fuses (no blown fuses). Nothing. Lights light up. Door locks work. Radio works. Engine tries to turn over but computer refuses to let it ignite and run.

We call the Road Side assitance. Dealer is five miles away. Closest tow company is 1.5 hours away. Ah yes, "Life in a Northern Town", but the song doesn't tell you it includes things like this. It'll be midnight. Dinner is now in the trash because it got cold and ruined.

Tow truck arrives and just to make sure we try the "jumper box" the tow truck driver has. Nothing.

Tow truck drops car off at dealership (Friday night remember).

On Monday dealership lets us know they jump started the car and drove it into the bay.

Face palm.

They load test the battery. Battery is fine. No error codes in the computer system.

They replace the brake light switch and everything works from then on.

Yes, all of this thanks to a brake light switch.

But the dealer comes through for us and gets the vehicle brand's US corporate office to cover our towing costs since the tow is the direct result of the recall. We only pay for a routine oil change that was going to be scheduled for the next week.

Moral of the story... Somethings in life are best left mechanical in nature, and always know about mountain lions.
    We have to step on the brake to use the start button. So I can understand this.
    We have another vehicle that is the same year and make but is a twist key and you don't need to step on the brake pedal to start it.
    Uke Players Do It With Four Strings.
    YouTube | Facebook
    ...I think life should be a musical... Tammy
    1:25367

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulelerob View Post
    We have to step on the brake to use the start button. So I can understand this.
    We have another vehicle that is the same year and make but is a twist key and you don't need to step on the brake pedal to start it.
    It's weird that it's tied to the brake light though. I would think it would be a sensor tracking movement of the bake pedal.
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    It's weird that it's tied to the brake light though. I would think it would be a sensor tracking movement of the bake pedal.
    Well...a sensor on the brake pedal triggers the brake light, so I imagine they're using the same sensor to do double duty instead of having two sensors looking for the same event.
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Well...a sensor on the brake pedal triggers the brake light, so I imagine they're using the same sensor to do double duty instead of having two sensors looking for the same event.
    The sensor is probably similar to an oil pressure switch. When it "sees" pressure in the brake lines, it lights the brake lights, and concurrently allows the activation of the starter motor, if needed....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    The sensor is probably similar to an oil pressure switch. When it "sees" pressure in the brake lines, it lights the brake lights, and concurrently allows the activation of the starter motor, if needed....
    I am sure you are over thinking it.
    It is typically a regular push button switch which is "off" when pressed. As soon as you step on the pedal, the arm of the pedal moves away from the switch and turns it "on" and the brake light circuit is complete.
    The starter interlock probably uses the same circuit.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Left work a little early. Nanilei had an errand in town and picked me up.
    Now we are at the beach!
    She even went in the water!
    Poor thing was terrified the whole time.
    She is getting better though.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Hi Hos
    “Justice is like a train that is nearly always late,” - Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko.

“62,400 repetitions make one truth.” - Bernard Marx, character in Brave New World, Alduous Huxley

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

14:29044

Sorry to be so late in posting. I have white line fever.
    “Justice is like a train that is nearly always late,” - Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko.

“62,400 repetitions make one truth.” - Bernard Marx, character in Brave New World, Alduous Huxley

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

14:29044

Thread Information