::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I've always found with my kids that praise from people outside the family have a much greater impact than that from their parents. It's like they expect to hear praise from us, but when they hear it from others they realize that maybe we're not just giving them a proud parent line.

RL Kid is much more responsive to outsiders, to the point that we worry that he lacks any natural caution around strangers. Our rules are simple. Don't open the door for anyone. Don't let them in. He tells us someone came. Did you open the door? Yes. Did they come in? Yes. Repeat questions. No & No.

His communication is such that we never really know. It's always sumpin'

didn't bring lunch so I grabbed an "Asian Chicken Salad" from the cafeteria.

The chicken didn't look or feel real.

It had raw, uncooked ramen noodles underneath the chicken. It still had the flour on the noodles. Bitter and gross (I had to taste it.)

It had grapes. Tasted like the chemicals you used to preserve them.

Stale slivered almonds.

Wilty greens.

the best part was the pre-pack "fried" wonton skins. They were crunchy.

I feel sorry for the kids who get free meals if this is the only thing they have to eat.

What breaks my heart is when he says things like "I'm not as good as _____ ." He is, better even, but he hasn't activated that competitiveness that will bring it out during competition. And yeah, my words don't mean that much. But yesterday, especially when that other coach complimented him, he was beaming with pride.

Exactly. Emma loves to bake, but when her friends come over suddenly she becomes passive and doubts herself in the kitchen. I've said to her many times, "Emma - you are a far better baker than your friends are. Have confidence when they question you, because I've never heard you be wrong in our ability."

This is part of why I really like this thread and the people on it.

I feel like I can put my thoughts out here. Thoughts I don't express to anyone but it feels okay to do here. IRL I don't complain much. I don't often talk about myself or accomplishments because I was raised not to. There's a Japanese word for it, but I can't remember it right now.

Anyhow, thanks hos!

I'm glad you feel that way - and please know that I know that you absolutely ADORE James and it shows and that everything you do you do to give him the best you can. If we seem to criticize it's because we have experiences to share that may offer another way; they in no way diminish the amazing dad you are!

didn't bring lunch so I grabbed an "Asian Chicken Salad" from the cafeteria.

The chicken didn't look or feel real.

It had raw, uncooked ramen noodles underneath the chicken. It still had the flour on the noodles. Bitter and gross (I had to taste it.)

It had grapes. Tasted like the chemicals you used to preserve them.

Stale slivered almonds.

Wilty greens.

the best part was the pre-pack "fried" wonton skins. They were crunchy.

I feel sorry for the kids who get free meals if this is the only thing they have to eat.

Is the cook one of your former culinary students who had to do you ramen, ketchup packet, and a dollar" dorm food challenge?

This is part of why I really like this thread and the people on it.

I feel like I can put my thoughts out here. Thoughts I don't express to anyone but it feels okay to do here. IRL I don't complain much. I don't often talk about myself or accomplishments because I was raised not to. There's a Japanese word for it, but I can't remember it right now.

Anyhow, thanks hos!

You're welcome.

When I drop RL Kid stories I'm not being bitter or wishing he was different. It's more of a tease. There's a whole range of things for parents to be proud of, fret about, encourage, and discourage. As long as you love your kid and act like it, I'm good.

I'm glad you feel that way - and please know that I know that you absolutely ADORE James and it shows and that everything you do you do to give him the best you can. If we seem to criticize it's because we have experiences to share that may offer another way; they in no way diminish the amazing dad you are!

Thanks. But now I'm self conscious because I never took anything that way.

:biglaugh:

Is the cook one of your former culinary students who had to do you ramen, ketchup packet, and a dollar" dorm food challenge?

No. They're tired old cafeteria ladies expected to provide a healthy nutritious meal on an impossible budget.

Jamie Oliver has failed miserably, two times, to revamp school lunches with the budget that is given schools.

They're set up to fail. It's sad.

Shirley and I spent a few hours gathering leaves and taking them to the compost site this morning. About ten leaf bags full. We probably have three or four more times this year before they are all gone.

I was feeling all superior and all about not having clock changes to worry about when I found our little atomic-synched clock had made the change. Might just have to throw it out.

You can disable that. At least on mine you can.
But I have not had a sync in over two years out here on this rock. Every now and then it tries to sync, but I have not had a successful one in quite a while.

I really enjoy reading about everyone’s experiences with their kids here. It’s interesting and enlightening. Everyone’s parenting style is different.

I feel like my kids grew up here. I know a couple of them even joined UU back in the day and posted on this thread. 3 of them have been to the field.

In the last couple of weeks we have been way below the average daily high temperature. Sometimes twenty or twenty-five degrees.

Top Bottom